Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 04:03 PM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

We went to visit a buddy of mine here in New York Monday ...he has severe Parkinson’s ..he is paying 14k a month ... luckily he is divorced and does not have a wife to support to ....he just spent down his dough and just started on Medicaid ....at these rates money goes like water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 11:53 AM

1,500 posts, read 886,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We went to visit a buddy of mine here in New York Monday ...he has severe Parkinson’s ..he is paying 14k a month ... luckily he is divorced and does not have a wife to support to ....he just spent down his dough and just started on Medicaid ....at these rates money goes like water
Yes it sure can

I shudder what could happen if this nation continues on its present course..

Old 08-16-2019, 02:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
My attorney (wife) does trusts for about $1500 to $2000. You avoid the cost of probate, which could be well in excess of tens of 1000s of dollars. Plus probate could take a year or two to distribute the estate. With a trust the distribution could be as quick as 41 days in most states. But of course you’ll be dead so it won’t matter to you.
But this is for fairly large estates on up, correct? Smaller estates don’t need trusts.

We set up a living trust in MO. When we moved to WA, we had everything looked at, and restated according to the state law. But right off the bat the attorney caught a mistake that could have caused tax liability for heirs.

You see, in MO, DH had looked for a “bargain” attorney, who worked for us at “bargain” price. In WA, we got experienced attorney with established practice. The difference in service was night and day. Even then, DH caught a couple of mistakes in wording in the document which had to be corrected. But I was shocked that original attorney made such a rookie mistake.

People tend to look for cheap, simple solutions to complex problems. The OP is certain he wants charities to receive his assets. If he wants to make sure no family members receive any of his assets, he needs to find an attorney who has experience with wills. Winging it with the will, could lead to challenges to the will, which could lead to a different outcome than what he desires.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
But this is for fairly large estates on up, correct? Smaller estates don’t need trusts.

We set up a living trust in MO. When we moved to WA, we had everything looked at, and restated according to the state law. But right off the bat the attorney caught a mistake that could have caused tax liability for heirs.

You see, in MO, DH had looked for a “bargain” attorney, who worked for us at “bargain” price. In WA, we got experienced attorney with established practice. The difference in service was night and day. Even then, DH caught a couple of mistakes in wording in the document which had to be corrected. But I was shocked that original attorney made such a rookie mistake.

People tend to look for cheap, simple solutions to complex problems. The OP is certain he wants charities to receive his assets. If he wants to make sure no family members receive any of his assets, he needs to find an attorney who has experience with wills. Winging it with the will, could lead to challenges to the will, which could lead to a different outcome than what he desires.
Trusts may be needed by all size estates ....

For starters you can not leave assets to minor children ...you may have kids with special needs ....you may want special instructions carried out or clauses ....there is no end to the reasons trusts are used

Old 08-26-2019, 05:13 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If you want to do a will for free a will in your own handwriting and signed by is legal anywhere. Get it notarized for that extra layer of legal protection. A typed will, does require two witness signatures. Notarized for that extra layer of protection. We are talking up to $20.

Do note that a will does not eliminate probate and court costs to transfer estate assets. A will simply states your wishes. A trust however, will save your estate many $1000s of dollars and speed the process from a year or two to four months.
Holographic (handwritten) wills are not “legal” everywhere.

Another reason for the OP to get an attorney to prepare a will, even if it’s a basic will rather than relying on internet experts.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
I have an update, I just had my will done and the lawyer told us a "will horror story". A woman had an online will made a decade ago. Her friends some of whom one was a lawyer said they would make her one for free, she refused not wanting to trouble anyone. She got cancer and died. For 10 years, yes, "TEN YEARS" her case has dragged out leaving her child no money as the lawyers drain the estate with their fees and work.

See, here is the dirty secret of wills and probate in my humble opinion, the law is not about seeking to clarify what the decedent wanted, but to disprove those attempting to collect wrongly This emphasis and direction is causing an injustice. So the more money someone leaves and it is disputed, the bigger the "feeding frenzy" of lawyer sharks eating up the estate.

I would like reform-I feel it is one of the worst legal injustices of our time.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:41 AM

The missing verbiage I mentioned above pertaining to predeceasing cost us 100k in legal fees and more then a year of legal work to resolve. Plus we ended up having to buy out the estranged step children which were supposed to get nothing . But the documents were defective because they failed to address the son predeceasing his parents

Old 08-28-2019, 09:47 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Yep, my attorney that does nothing but estate work used terms like, any surviving grandchildren, meaning maybe they'll be more when I die.

Any automobiles owned, I buy and sell collector cars every once in a while.

Any firearms owned, I'm an avid sportsman and buy a new gun every once in a while.

Not real estate or money, but if you have a personal possession of yours that you want somebody to have, give it to them WHILE YOU'RE STILL ALIVE.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:16 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Wills must be probated. In Cali it's $250 when you open and $250 when you close. In between are all sorts of other fees. But the biggie is an attorney's schedule of fees:

• 4% of the first $100,000 of the gross value of the probate estate.
  • 3% of the next $100,000.
  • 2% of the next $800,000.
Ridiculous! Get yourself a "How To Do Your Own Revocable Trust" for $29.95 with tear-out forms. It doesn't have to be filed in court and it will save you tens of thousands of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement