Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 03:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times

Advertisements

I was at the Denver airport one time, and ran into a guy I used to work with. It was a nice pleasant surprise. He had just arrived from St. Louis, and we (my mom and I) were leaving for St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 03:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile San Francisco

My husband and I were in SF for his business conference. We took an extra 2 days for ourselves and went on the cable cars.

A female friend of my parents was in SF then - unknown to us. She had just dropped off her youngest child at Stanford.

All of a sudden, on the cable cars, I hear my first and maiden name being called. We were thrilled to see her.

She wanted to know if we wanted to go shopping - we went to I Magnin and I bought 3 dresses. This was 1989. So much fun!!

Then, we went to Reno (leaving from there) and I ran into my dad who had just stopped there on business. I didn't know he was out there either.

All of us lived in Florida. Small world.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:06 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,100 times
Climbing the steps up to Fisherman's Bastion and Matthias Church in Budapest I recognized a woman who volunteered at the hospital I worked at in Wisconsin! We chatted briefly -- I'd retired a few years earlier and she was still volunteering at the hospital.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:23 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
as upnorthretiree says:

"The moral is, never feel safe in a strange city or country to do something you wouldn’t want to be caught doing; someone you know will see you!"

i forgot about walking on the beach in Costa Rica with my new girlfriend, when a woman Hollered (that is how we say it)
my First and Middle Name (no last name. that is only used by Momma when she is mad). yes, my old Junior High
(not Middle School) sweetheart, with her second husband, saw us. of course, my old girlfriend found out.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:30 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I was on a raft trip out of Jackson Hole, WY about 18 years ago. One of the guys on my boat had helped prosecute a child born ring for the district I worked at here in Texas. He was an investigator. I thought I recognized him and he verified he was there in our office.

Small world!

Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
I went with my brother-in-law to the bar across the street from my apartment in Colorado to have a beer.

A guy I worked with at a grocery store in California was at the next table, and had been friends with my BIL in high school.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:49 PM

110 posts, read 77,199 times
I was driving north on I-5 through Olympia, WA on a summer day. I was in the left lane passing a car, I look over, and there is my roommate from my junior year of college driving. We went to college in Corvallis, OR. We had not kept in touch and it had been several years since we graduated. I beeped the horn, he looked over, we both laughed and waved, and that was it.

I was attending an earthquake engineering conference in San Francisco, CA, was walking to the conference hotel after parking my car, and I hear someone calling my name. It was my mentor professor from attending college again in Seattle, WA. It had also been several years since I graduated. We went to lunch courtesy of his book editor. We loosely kept in touch, but sadly, he passed away a few years after that.

And one last story. We lived for a few years in Seoul, South Korea where my wife made several friends with U.S. personnel stationed there. She kind of lost touch with them when we moved south to Daegu for a year, and folks usually rotate in and out every few years anyway. We moved back to the States to a small town in northwestern NM. One day we decided to go to Albuquerque to visit Cottonwood Mall. As we are wandering about, we hear someone call my wife's name. It happened to be one of her friends from Seoul who was vacationing in NM after they moved back from Seoul to the east coast.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:48 AM

250 posts, read 148,411 times
My brother and I, from a small arkansas town, then population 342, were at Disneyland in San Diego, ca. Waiting in line right in front of us, for space mountain, was a couple we knew from our hometown. Rather unlikely meeting up with them nearly 2000 miles from home.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,853 times
Recently, while driving my classic muscle-car down the center lane of I-95 with the windows rolled down, a car, in the fast lane, pulled up next to me, slowed to my speed, and beeped the horn.

The driver rolled down his window, yelled my name and asked "you still got that thing?!"

Turns out he was a classmate of mine back in high school, and recognized my car from forty five years ago!

Old 08-13-2019, 05:53 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
Walking down a street in Florence, Italy, I heard someone calling my name - she was a high school classmate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement