Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
As a younger guy, who has never had chicken pox, let alone shingles (or either vaccine), can anyone answer this?

- What are the implications of getting a chicken pox vaccine? Will it make me susceptible to shingles later?
Ask a doc. But I do know adults can get chicken pox, and in them the disease is much worse than in young kids. I’d say, “Get the vaccine, and any other vaccines you lack.” But check with doc for best advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 10:09 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
First shot: sore arm for 2-3 days.

Second shot: Woke up with headache and flu-like symptoms (muscle aches, feverish) that lasted about a day.

That was pretty much my experience also. The pharmacist told me later that about half of the patients have that experience. It was no issue because i prefer not to get shingles.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I hear you, same here. There are many ways to keep healthy from the shingles.
Not really. The vaccine is the only way to prevent shingles. It does not matter how healthy you think you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I do hope everyone getting the shot has actually had chicken pox. Because if you haven't there isnt any need to.
Shingrix can be given even if you do not remember having chickenpox. Most in the US have had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
As a younger guy, who has never had chicken pox, let alone shingles (or either vaccine), can anyone answer this?

- What are the implications of getting a chicken pox vaccine? Will it make me susceptible to shingles later?
No, it reduces the risk of shingles if you have had chickenpox. It will not cause shingles because there is no live virus in Shingrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
It shouldn't. Shingles is caused by live, but suppressed, varicella zoster virus in your spinal chord. Your immune system is keeping that virus suppressed but if the immune system weakens the varicella can overwhelm it and then you have Shingles. The chickenpox vaccine is not live virus material so it cannot initiate Shingles. If you have no contact with children your chances of getting chickenpox as an adult are low, although you can catch it by coming into contact with someone who has Shingles.

But you should check with your doctor. I would also get a chickenpox titre test to make sure you have never had it. I thought I never had it but I tested positive.
The chickenpox vaccine does contain live virus and can cause shingles, but the risk is much lower than with the wild virus. Shingrix does not contain live virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
Our Doctor isn't a fan of the vaccine. He said he has had patients who have gotten shingles from the vaccine. So we are holding off. My husband actually had a very mild case. I am a bit nervous about the decision, because my mom had it a few years ago and it was VERY painful.
Shingrix cannot cause shingles, though it is not 100% effective in preventing it. Your doctor needs to do a little research on the vaccine.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:18 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quick update: Totally jinxed myself! Went to bed feeling fine, woke up at 2:00 AM freezing! Turned off the fan and got another blanket. Two hours later, I was burning up. Fan back on (high speed this time) and blanket on the floor. Cannot fall asleep. Feel terrible driving in to work, see the nurse, have a temp. of 100.8 degrees. Tell the boss I'm leaving early, he says no problem.

Getting ready to go but I pretty much feel fine now. Just tired, but I'm still leaving.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:27 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
I felt a mild soreness in the arm. That was it. The only reactions I've ever had to an immunization shot was a mild ache in the arm for a few days and some redness to the skin. Perhaps I'm just lucky, or have the right genes. My sympathies though.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
Nope- none at all.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:17 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Both of my parents got the vaccine in their 60's- dad (who was an MD) STILL got shingles in his late 70's and it almost killed him.

Dad did tell us that the vaccine will NOT prevent you from getting shingles- it only reduces your chances somewhat.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Both of my parents got the vaccine in their 60's- dad (who was an MD) STILL got shingles in his late 70's and it almost killed him.

Dad did tell us that the vaccine will NOT prevent you from getting shingles- it only reduces your chances somewhat.
umm, interesting from your MD dad.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:29 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
I was vaccinated a few months ago with the latest shingles vaccine, Shingrex. No reaction at all. My age is close to 70.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:37 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post

Actually, that is not all that surprising. The efficacy of the previous vaccine (ZOSTAVAX) for 70 years and older patients was relatively low. It was (is) a live (attenuated) virus vaccine which could, in theory, give you shingles. The new vaccine is different - more effective, including for the older age group, and cannot give you shingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement