Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 09:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

No waiting for either Shingrix shot. Walked into pharmacy area, asked if I could have the shot, got it within 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 04:25 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Both of my Shingrix shots were injected high in arm, almost to shoulder.

Wonder if it has anything to do with muscle?
I found this on CDC's website. You can find it under "Administering Shingrix" in the information. Its very close to the top.

The shot is to be given intramuscularly rather subcutaneously. The deltoid muscle in the upper arm or shoulder is largest muscle in the upper part of your body.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...g-vaccine.html

Old 10-18-2019, 05:56 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks!

Old 10-19-2019, 01:25 PM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
I got mine 2 days ago, it hurt just a small amount when injected, but nothing since!

Old 11-13-2019, 06:31 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
While getting a flu shot today, I asked the Walgreens pharmacist about availability of Shingrix. The store is getting 10 vaccines a month and has a waiting list (now closed) of 700 people. My new doctor wants me to get on a waiting list but most pharmacies in my area have closed their waiting lists.

My insurance will not automatically cover the vaccine as part of preventative care.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:36 PM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
My wife and I (I'm 53 and she is 52) both had Shingrix recently, and we both developed fevers and felt pretty lousy for about one day. I happened to see my doctor about one week later, and he asked me about side effects because many of his patients told him they experienced some. I had the flu shot at the same time and don't even really notice the needle going into my arm for that one and had no side effects. Shingrix made my arm fairly sore; my wife said hers was very sore.

My wife had shingles as a teenager and so did my daughter, so we all know we are better off dealing with a little fever and soreness versus going through that.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
My insurance will not automatically cover the vaccine as part of preventative care.
I posted a while back. At first I thought I had no side effects but 24 hours later I felt yucky which lasted 2 days.

I am waiting for 2nd shot.

Insurance paid 100%

Old 11-15-2019, 07:41 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
While getting a flu shot today, I asked the Walgreens pharmacist about availability of Shingrix. The store is getting 10 vaccines a month and has a waiting list (now closed) of 700 people. My new doctor wants me to get on a waiting list but most pharmacies in my area have closed their waiting lists.

I decided to try the Costco pharmacy since a membership is required and they cater to a younger crowd. Went up to the counter and asked to get on the list and was told they had vaccines available today if I wanted one. When I mentioned the long waiting lists at other pharmacies while getting the shot, the reply was that we have a long list too but it is "unmanageable" so we offer our vaccines to walk-ins. I felt like I was cutting in line and badly for those on the list who are waiting for a phone call.

And the pharmacist warned me that my arm might be rather sore and to take ibuprofen and that I could be sick for a day or so with chills and fever. My arm is feeling very tight and a little painful right now, much worse than a flu shot.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 11-15-2019 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-15-2019, 10:05 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
In our experience, the day after the shot was the worst. But, not too bad. You will be over it soon! All the best!

Old 11-16-2019, 05:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

I looked up Albuquerque NM zip code but see there are 37 of them. I put 87103 into the manufacturers web site linked below, it says there are 168 places giving the vaccine within a 15 mile radius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
According to a link someone posted, there shouldn't be a shortage, unless you happen to be in an area where there are a lot of people needing the vaccine. I used a small, family owned pharmacy. Had no issues getting the 1st shot last month. The pharmacy had one waiting for my 2nd dose but I can't take it; am allergic to something in it.

From the manufacturers web site - vaccine locator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement