Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:16 AM

23,258 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Tune in next week for the next list.
No, I'll pass. I chose to retire in the worst state on the list. It's great, partly because it isn't going to get a flood of retiree wannabes looking for a low cost Disneyland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 06:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't find these to be at all helpful or interesting.

One reason they are close to useless is the diversity within each State. In NY we have economically low cost areas, a number of major cities and of course NYC. These areas are all very different.
Exactly.

That "22% above national average" cost is wholly driven by Metro NYC, otherwise it would be at or below national average for the rest of the state.

In addition, all government pensions are not taxed by NYS, which includes FERS Supplement and TSP (401k) for federal retirees. My income tax burden in retirement is the same as a no income tax state.

I have also found that my homeowners insurance rate is less than half what I paid in Texas, and because of lesser home valuations in my area my property taxes are also less than half.

Weather is another issue, but at this stage in my life winters in NY are not a deal breaker, especially as I no longer have to drive to work daily. I can do without Texas summers (as I enjoy my coffee outdoors on a sunny 65 degree morning today).

Old 08-15-2019, 08:30 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
This list changes every day.
Every person who tries to muster up such a list will have completely different criteria for what goes into the grading they will use.

I settled to the oldest state [state with the highest average age] and the highest percentage of retirees.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:54 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
States are too big and have too many different types of cities and towns to generalize. A list of the best and worst cities or metro areas is more valuable.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
I saw this article today and some of the states listed are not as obvious as you would think. Interesting read.

https://moneywise.com/a/the-worst-st...rement-in-2019
Looks like they used REAL science on this!

"One former resident calls Rhode Island's living costs "insane" in a Reddit post"

Old 08-15-2019, 12:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
I really wonder...well, not really....how many outsiders go to Iowa to retire?

Old 08-15-2019, 12:22 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I worked there for just a year and had all I could stand.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:23 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Quote:
I will say that living in Iowa City was a wonderful period for me, of course I was 25yo in a university community But it does have all the advantages that university communities have: Ann Arbor, Madison, Austin, etc.... But the winters

Old 08-15-2019, 12:45 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
I actually have a cousin who moved there just prior to retirement, and she and her family are still there, out on a farm near Ames. She loves it, despite the winters being on the rough side. She and her husband have lived all over the country (and visited many other countries). She was originally from Utah, near SLC. Nice lady.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:44 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Maryland being ranked worst is not such a surprise.
I agree traffic in MD is miserable (think NoVa is worse though) but if you are retired does it really matter? The majority of my family are native Marylanders (some traced back to the Ark and the Dove) and they have retired there for generations without too many issues. My mom lives fine on her own in MD as a retiree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement