Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:11 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,100 times

Advertisements

I have very dry skin and use Ponds on my face before bed and then Vaseline Intensive Care on my face and body immediately after my morning shower. Honestly, I wonder why people spend so much on expensive face and body creams when relatively, Ponds and Vaseline Intensive Care cost so little and are just as effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:12 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Back in the 1970s I started using Crabtree & Evelyn's Aloe Vera Glycerin Soap, with my dermatologist's blessing. It has an extremely faint, hardly dectectable scent that for some reason never triggered my allergies. That was the only thing I ever used on face or body from that point on (in my twenties.) It's extremely mild and non-drying because it's glycerin based.

Fast forward to late 2002 when I learned that Crabtree & Evelyn had stopped making this particular soap (they kept the Aloe Vera hard milled soap, ugh, entirely different, no way!) so I panicked. Ended up buying the last four cases that remained in the C&E warehouse and from their nationwide stores remaining stock. I had boxes of this soap coming in from C&E stores all over the country, mailman and UPS drivers probably thought I was nuts but I didn't care. I figure at my average rate of use I shouldn't run out of my soap until I'm 87. After that I'll have a big problem, LOL.

Every so often an odd bar or two of it pops up for sale on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRABTREE-EV...-/263432192568

Old 08-16-2019, 08:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So many recommendations for those CeraVe products I might just have to go find me some!
And they are reasonably priced. I have rosacea, and I started using CeraVe after being diagnosed with it. My face hurt so bad it wasn't funny, and the medication I had to used burned, too. The rosacea patches were very red, and the feeling was a burning pain, deeper than my skin surface.

Using metrogel, and CeraVe the pain diminished, and the redness faded. It took IPL treatments to get the redness gone, which is common in rosacea -- but now the CeraVe has pretty much kept it at bay. I use the Metrogel when I am in a flare, or expect one -- like a heat wave -- and I've been very happy with it.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:19 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I have ichthyosis on my lower legs and very dry skin on my arms. Some fragrances make me break out, some just smell nasty to me. I've tried various lotions for my arms and legs: Cerave SA Lotion, Eucerin, Amlactin, G16. The one that seems to work best is Gold Bond for Diabetics (although I don't have diabetes), but it is heavy and somewhat greasy. On my lower legs, nothing really helps with the look of them, although the Gold Bond does keeps the skin softer and moister so it doesn't crack.

For my face I have gone through just about every lotion the dermatologist can throw at me and none of it helped - metrogel, retinoids in 3 difffferent strengths, lotions, potions and serums. All it did was lighten my pocketbook considerably and, in a lot of cases, give me nasty red rashes.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-16-2019, 09:20 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I have very dry skin and use Ponds on my face before bed and then Vaseline Intensive Care on my face and body immediately after my morning shower. Honestly, I wonder why people spend so much on expensive face and body creams when relatively, Ponds and Vaseline Intensive Care cost so little and are just as effective.
Well, because they don't work for me at all would be why. The Ponds makes my face break out in a rash.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-17-2019, 07:48 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Best moisturizer is the internal one:

Water.

Apply copiously and frequently. For internal use.

Opinion: Job well done................

How so many miss the mark.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:15 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
I don't have extremely dry skin, but I loved, strangely enough, the toiletries from Hampton Inn many years ago, "Purity" was the brand name. The soap was the only one that did not leave my face feeling dry and the moisturizer was light and non-greasy. I still have a few little bottles of it left and only use it on my face. They switched to Neutrogena products quite a while ago - meh.

I have a friend with very dry skin who swears by Vanicream.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:23 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion: Job well done................

How so many miss the mark.
Well, I also drink a lot of water, but take a diuretic as part of my high blood pressure arsenal, so what I drink doesn't generally stay around too long. So I find the moisturizers help the dry skin.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:38 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And they are reasonably priced. I have rosacea, and I started using CeraVe after being diagnosed with it. My face hurt so bad it wasn't funny, and the medication I had to used burned, too. The rosacea patches were very red, and the feeling was a burning pain, deeper than my skin surface.

Using metrogel, and CeraVe the pain diminished, and the redness faded. It took IPL treatments to get the redness gone, which is common in rosacea -- but now the CeraVe has pretty much kept it at bay. I use the Metrogel when I am in a flare, or expect one -- like a heat wave -- and I've been very happy with it.
I had to look up metrogel (had never heard of it) and found it's metronidazole cream intended specifically for rosacea, available by prescription. Metronidazole is an antibiotic, and sounds as though it's very effective in combatting rosacea flareups.

I don't have rosacea, thank goodness, but do occasionally have what look like some minor bumpy type rashes that pop up on my fingers around the joints, sometimes the knuckles. I always assumed this was a contact dermatitis from what I don't know, but keeping them dry and applying OTC cortisone cream helps them.

I think I might try the CeraVe, just to see if if helps.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:09 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I do a lot of things to maintain and repair my skin. Too many things to list. But basically there's:

Internal health
Skin treatments
Skin maintenance and daily care.

Internal: Vitamin E, anti-oxidants, and other vitamins/minerals affect the skin. Circulation helps, too, which you get, since you run. Drinking a lot of liquids and eating foods w/high liquid content helps. (Fruit is a bonanza for the skin, since it's chocked full of antioxidants AND has a high liquid content.)

Treatments: Creams and serums w/retinol and/or alpha lipoic acid. Hyaluronic (HLA) acid serum. Frequent exfoliation (the retinol/alpha lipoic acid counts as exfoliation to an extent). Maybe mild microdermabrasion.

Skin maintenance/care: Moisturize frequently and generously. Note that oil does not moisturize the skin, but it softens it and helps lock in added moisture. I have found that Gold Bond works well for me for the body, but a lot of moisturizing lotions will work (many are essentially the same). For the face I like the Olay Regenerist Micro-sculpting cream (on top of the HLA serum at night); it's hydrating, but also helps w/elasticity. I have had good luck with the Olay line that's made for older skin; I've found it high quality and effective, for the price. I have NOT found that the more you pay, the better the quality or the results. I trust brands that have been in the business for eons; they have a lot of research and experience under their belts (Olay, Clairol, etc.).

My skin at 65 looks pretty good, I suppose. (My problem is more sagging than wrinkles; I was born with those chubby cheeks that fall in later years.)
I could not agree more with Retinol, AHA's, BHA's, Retin A, etc.

I've had dry skin since I was a teen-ager and dry skin can be uncomfortable and also not age well unless we are careful.

I've washed my face with Cetaphil gentle cleanser for years and years.

I also use Retin A and a variety of topical exfoliants (AHA's mainly). I

I'm a big fan of Paula's Choice and use a variety of her topicals and moisturizers at night. Moisturized with sunscreen during the day.

https://www.paulaschoice.com/?ftlt=b...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement