Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 10:17 AM

13,645 posts, read 9,701,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If I care about my spouse, kids, grandkids? I don't have any of those.
Exactly. Though it may be shocking to some, not all of us have relatives. Some of us the final branch on the family tree. Our considerations for posthumous disposal of our estates, differ a bit, from those who worry about squabbles between kinsmen, or who intend to leave a legacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 10:24 AM

3,267 posts, read 3,928,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Exactly. Though it may be shocking to some, not all of us have relatives. Some of us the final branch on the family tree. Our considerations for posthumous disposal of our estates, differ a bit, from those who worry about squabbles between kinsmen, or who intend to leave a legacy.
Fair enough, but certainly you have a friend or someone you care about? If you don't, that's a whole different thread in a different forum on this website

Old 08-21-2019, 10:54 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I have been procrastinating on making a will because it's complicated. My husband and I have substantial assets but no children or other immediate family, just a niece and nephew. They are both in their 40s, but neither went beyond high school. They know nothing about money except how to spend it. I need to find an executor and set up some type of trust. Otherwise my niece and nephew will just blow it all on cars, travel and luxuries.

It's a shame you can't "buy" a kid in this country. You have to go overseas, like the Jolie-Pitts of the world. You could set said kid up with a great education.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:03 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The hard part for us was putting everything in the trust. Lots of paper work that had to be notarized.
My parents didn't understand they had to actually put their assets into the trust. My dad handled all the finances and such but developed Dementia and things he didn't understand, like how to utilize the trust, languished. My mother never dealt with anything beyond a checking account and was incapable of taking it all on. After my dad passed I helped get everything consolidated, with the assistance of my mother's financial advisor and advice from the estate attorney hired. It does take some work and time but it's worth it. No point in having a trust if you don't use it.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:22 AM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
I don’t have one as the only surviving immediate family members will likely pass long before I do. The only nephew I cared about took his own life years ago after battling leukemia so my possessions will likely go to my local dog rescue that I have been heavily involved with. I just have to settle on the beneficiary. I have considered leaving my home to a friend that would appreciate it.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:27 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Fair enough, but certainly you have a friend or someone you care about? If you don't, that's a whole different thread in a different forum on this website

I don't know about ohio_peasant, but our friends are all pretty well set already, having spent a career in tech.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:46 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,632 times
Now that I'm married, everything goes to my husband and I'm good with that. But, we do need to get a few things in place to ensure it all goes smoothly.

My mom has been pushing all this on us kids since her parents died and had to deal with the aftermath of that and then my dad's parents died and the kids started fighting. Mom has told me and my brother to start putting post-its on things we want. She's already stated she's not going to remarry so no need to worry; everything will go to me and my brother. Thankfully, he and I get along well enough and have different tastes and so far neither of us is like, "You can't have that because I want it". She's also got everythingin place: awesome medical, long-term care, will's, trusts, annuities (for whatever reason), etc. When she goes, everything is in once place; we just grab the folder and go. Gotta love that woman!

I just want to get my life in order if I die, so my hubby is set. Or if we go at the same time, my mom can take care of things.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Hope you didn't make the trust a beneficiary.

Our trust has several charitable orgs as beneficiaries and when there is a mixture of people and organizations the tax implications get complicated. We wanted to shield our heirs from tax problems as best we could so constructed the trust accordingly. So it got a little complex and made more work for us. But it's all done now.

Don't you worry. I have an attorney and a financial advisor and a CPA.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Now that I'm married, everything goes to my husband and I'm good with that. But, we do need to get a few things in place to ensure it all goes smoothly.
Not to be morbid, and God forbid anything happens to him first, then what?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:14 PM

If anybody with out an heir or beneficiary is interested in adopting, I "know" a good looking 61 year old Jewish guy, that likes hunting, fishing, long walks on the beach...

Just throwing it out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement