Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:07 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
An interesting piece from BBC News... Catchy title aside - it touches on interesting facets of retirement and identity and includes quotes from a HBS professor and a couple of Noble laureates.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48882195
Judging by the first paragraph or two, I thought this was going to be a realistic look at a radical life change that may not be all sunshine and unicorns, although most people knock themselves out trying to make it appear as if it is, mostly on social media. Then it went off in another direction. I'd be interested in reading an article about the former situation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 01:20 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
When I was forced onto pension, I used that opportunity to re-invent myself.

I went from targeting nuclear warheads while living underwater on a nuclear-powered submarine to today I am an organic farmer living in a dense forest on solar power.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:52 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I was forced onto pension, I used that opportunity to re-invent myself.

I went from targeting nuclear warheads while living underwater on a nuclear-powered submarine to today I am an organic farmer living in a dense forest on solar power.
Many of my co-workers are former Nuke Submariners. I know an alarming quantity of people with this identical past experience. There must be far more submarines prowling the ocean's waters at any one time than the average man-in-the-street can imagine.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:32 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
sub: my niece's husband got his blue nose and
now he has his organic free-range chicken ops.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Many of my co-workers are former Nuke Submariners. I know an alarming quantity of people with this identical past experience. There must be far more submarines prowling the ocean's waters at any one time than the average man-in-the-street can imagine.
I may know some of your co-workers.

While I can neither confirm nor deny where I have been, I have gotten a few medals for going places where we have never been and doing things that we can never admit to doing.

I would bet that most of your co-workers play golf too

There is a lot of stuff the average man on the street knows nothing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
sub: my niece's husband got his blue nose and now he has his organic free-range chicken ops.
I have 'blue nosed' a few times.

Thank him for his service, for me

Old 08-20-2019, 04:05 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I cannot relate to this article at all. I know hundreds of retirees and I don't know a single one that describes themselves by their former occupation. I don't know a single one that isn't proud to describe themselves as simply "retired". If pressed, they will answer questions about their old careers, but for the most part we've all happily moved on. I don't know who writes these weird articles.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:21 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I cannot relate to this article at all. I know hundreds of retirees and I don't know a single one that describes themselves by their former occupation. I don't know a single one that isn't proud to describe themselves as simply "retired". If pressed, they will answer questions about their old careers, but for the most part we've all happily moved on. I don't know who writes these weird articles.
My thoughts exactly. Sometimes it's hard to find out what kind of work a retiree used to do, even after knowing them for a few years. When someone ask me what kind of work I used to do, I just say Computer Stuff. Any more detail just gets blank stares.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Hmm, I signed on here as 'submariner'. I served on subs for 20 years, but in honesty I am now retired.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:45 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
It does vary based upon profession as well as individual. I am reminded of the widespread story of David Goodall, the Australian scientist who ended his life happily at 104, ends life happily at 104. He worked till very late - “Australia's oldest working scientist wins battle over office - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38362307

Obviously, it doesn’t reflect everyone’s (or even majority’s) reality but it is hard to generalize.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:24 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,714 times
It took me almost five full minutes to adjust to being retired. And when pressed about my former life, I just say civil servant. I wasn't actually a civil servant but that response usually ends the questioners interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement