Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times

Advertisements

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49075955

""I only work two days a week, and I wanted to do something after I retired and it was just a no-brainer to stay. It's not about the money. I enjoy the work," he says.

Mr Klug still turns out high precision parts at Alexandria, and also fills in on other jobs at the company when necessary. But a key role is to pass on his skills to a new generation of staff at the company. It's a trade-off that suits both sides. Mr Klug gets to stay active; Alexandria Industries gets valuable training for new workers."

"But it's not just the skills shortage that has extended the job prospects for ageing workers. Some employers seem to prefer them.

At Johnson & Sons, a florist in Saint Paul, Minnesota, Tom Johnson employs people ranging from ages 16 to 86.

He has nothing but praise for the older workers, even running job adverts targeted at the baby boomer generation. For a start, Mr Johnson says, older employees are more reliable.

"They don't have kids to take care of or hectic social lives," he says. And his elderly new recruits bring with them valuable experience from other fields."

I too work part time in retirement teaching skills to the young generation. I enjoy it immensely.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 05:09 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Older workers have a few advantages over many younger workers.

- They don't LIVE ON THEIR PHONES.

- They have a good work ethic, and are reliable.

- They don't say "LIKE" every other word.

- They have interpersonal skills and don't need to communicate only through technology.

- They have skills and experience that younger people don't have the PATIENCE to learn.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:37 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

- They have interpersonal skills and don't need to communicate only through technology.

- They have skills and experience that younger people don't have the PATIENCE to learn.
And for those over 65 they don't need medical insurance saving thousands.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:49 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
And for those over 65 they don't need medical insurance saving thousands.
Not true ..many keep their work insurance as long as it is credited insurance ....it can serve as primary or a supplement along with Medicare part A ...that way they don’t have to have part B

Old 08-22-2019, 08:09 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

They also have basic mathematics skill.

Also, there are a number of tooling jobs for which no young people have been trained. I know a few people who have those skills who are selling their skills to the highest bidder. One of my former employees started working as an independent contractor at 3x his old rate.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 AM

903 posts, read 665,117 times
And they know how to read a clock to tell time. I swear that drives me crazy when I say 12:45 and they can't figure it out. I worked in a daycare and I would say the 'baby need to be fed in an hour and 15 minutes or 12:45. Nope couldn't understand taht.

We are interviewing right now. Fresh out of college applicant. References are called... personal life interferes with work life. This is the second or third young applicant that the reference said that. I have my cell phone at work but rarely look at it during the day.

They were hoping some older applicants (like me) would apply but it didn't happen. They will not hire until they find the right candidate.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Why US firms are desperate to retain ageing workers?
This is a broadly generalized editorial with mostly anecdotal evidence and little or no substantive proof.

The desire of companies to hang onto older, experienced employees ... depends on the economy. In a robust economy, like today's, the employment picture is great for older AND younger employees. But, in a recessionary environment , the opposite is true. Try, for example, to tell the aging workforce of 2007-2010 how 'desperate' US firms were to retain aging workers.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:18 AM

703 posts, read 612,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This is a broadly generalized editorial with mostly anecdotal evidence and little or no substantive proof.

The desire of companies to hang onto older, experienced employees ... depends on the economy. In a robust economy, like today's, the employment picture is great for older AND younger employees. But, in a recessionary environment , the opposite is true. Try, for example, to tell the aging workforce of 2007-2010 how 'desperate' US firms were to retain aging workers.
Not only that but all the disparaging things that have been said about young people here every single one of them was constantly bleated, whined, and bemoaned from employers (and others) about young people 40-45 yrs ago when I was young. (And probably most here since this is the "retirement" board. I'm sure it tends to skew OLD) Well, all except the one about being on their phones all the time. Like, if we had had phones then we'd have forgotten about them at work and just worked like it was a religion because that's what The Boss wanted. Nope. No phone usage for us. HA! BS. That's only a problem now because the employers are generally old and the workers in question are generally young. (Guess-Who can't deal with change?) In a few yrs it will be commonplace and nobody will mention it. Or the fad will peter out?

Jobs for which no young people are trained? Hey, why not invest in your work force? God forbid an employer train people. That might cost money! Best just to complain about "Them" and their phones and their "like".....

Old 08-22-2019, 11:40 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Yeah, 'desperate' US firms who fired older workers and then farm their jobs overseas and/or import H1B visa workers.

Cheaper labor costs = higher profits = higher stock prices = happy investors.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:03 PM

43,078 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Yeah, 'desperate' US firms who fired older workers and then farm their jobs overseas and/or import H1B visa workers.

Cheaper labor costs = higher profits = higher stock prices = happy investors.
But not necessarily "happy customers". And that is when mgmt gets on the phone to retired workers asking them if they want to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement