Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 02:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,661,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
If you decide to visit, let me know, I could give you some tips.
Yes... If nearby (neighbors), It's good go often to Vancouver and Victoria! and BC has great camping.

Get your Nexus card! (Better and cheaper than Global Entry)

We took a yr off and lived on a Gulf Island when the kids were age 5 and 7. That was great fun and adventure, and gave us an opportunity to better understand and explore BC. (We were at a camp with students from over 30 different nations)

We like to go to the Okanogan! (WA and BC)
https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com...to-the-public/
Hot springs are nice too!

Next for us is Croatia and Baltics (live / travel there for 4-6 months)

South America as soon as we master the language better.

Wales and NZ and OZ were very nice to visit for a few months each (Fiber Arts and Horticulture / botanical trips)

Ireland was not a favorite, but we had great weather and sights (June).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:02 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I know I shouldn't but ever since the HBO special I've been thinking about Chernobyl and the Exclusion Zone. Apparently the place is overrun with tourists and tours these days. To do the entire tour takes about 11 hours, they say. Wear closed toe shoes because you'll be stepping on broken glass. Oh, and take a roll of toilet paper since there is none on site. And bottled water.

It would be a different kind of vacation, that's for sure.
We did this a couple weeks ago.

The shoes thing isn't so much broken glass but skin exposure, you also have to wear socks that extend to shin and long sleeves. There are bathrooms, both before you arrive and in the exclusion zone. It's not overrun with tourists, there is a daily limit that they let in so what you get is a crowd at the checkpoint in the morning then everyone disperses so it's not too bad.

They also give you a thing to wear on your neck that they collect at the end to know your radiation exposure, which apparently is less than what most get from being on a flight to Ukraine. Some people rent geiger counters and that's interesting because they all spike at the same time, especially when driving past red forest. Highest readings we saw were at that iconic ferris wheel on the bottoms of the cars, no idea why. Also any source of water collecting like drainage inlets were hot.

It was interesting from a historical perspective, and from a weird creepy perspective as well. You do actually get really close to the reactor with the new containment structure over it, as seen in first pic below.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:05 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,512,680 times
Also, we were mainly there for visiting Ukraine and Kiev was such a beautiful city for still being mostly off the tourist radar. Those cats ain't afraid of color.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:06 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,204,563 times
antarctica

Old 08-25-2019, 03:06 PM

10,845 posts, read 7,249,363 times
I want to go see the mermaids at Weekee Watchee Springs in Florida.
We were going to go last year, but plans changed and we went SW instead of SE.

Maybe an Alaskan cruise. Opposite corners of the country.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,595,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Nonresponsive to the question.
Very responsive, this is a topic of interest to retirees, traveling when retired or contemplating retirement.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,778,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Very responsive, this is a topic of interest to retirees, traveling when retired or contemplating retirement.
Isn't it a topic of interest to anyone regardless of their work/retirement status? Why limit input or participation to retirees?

Old 08-31-2019, 06:21 AM

535 posts, read 342,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I know I shouldn't but ever since the HBO special I've been thinking about Chernobyl and the Exclusion Zone. Apparently the place is overrun with tourists and tours these days. To do the entire tour takes about 11 hours, they say. Wear closed toe shoes because you'll be stepping on broken glass. Oh, and take a roll of toilet paper since there is none on site. And bottled water.

It would be a different kind of vacation, that's for sure.
I am not sure that visiting a nuclear site with residual nuclear chemicals in the land and air is a good idea. Just me. Why would any visitor want to take the risk on their own bodies? The nuclear accident was so profound that many died "burning" from the inside out. Such a sad way to die. It is suggested that you bring your own bottled water due to the contamination of the water system as well.

Maybe if you already have cancer and are terminal, or have a heart condition and are dying anyway. If this were the case for me, I would find a lot more beautiful places to visit than Chernobyl.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:24 AM

535 posts, read 342,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
There will always be residual radiation. Go at your peril.

The more dangerous radionuclides will have been greatly reduced, but half lives are only that. Start with a HUGE number and even a thousand half-lives later there will be some that remain or are converted to other radioactive forms. If you go, wear a radiation detecting badge that you can have analyzed later if something medical happens. You might only detect a couple types of radiation but at least that's something.
I think people are nuts to risk their own health by going there. It is just the fascination with death. You have to bring your own water in bottles for a reason.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:26 AM

24,526 posts, read 18,059,777 times
My "idly considering" list:
Egypt
St Petersburg (the borscht one, not the early bird special one)
South of Sweden trip (too many Wallander movies with English subtitles). Fly into Copenhagen.
Azores
Canary Islands

The more "actively considering" list for the next couple of years:

South of Spain
Sicily, Sardinia, off-the-beaten-track southern Italy
Greece, Turkey, ex-Yugoslavia

The most likely trips for 2020 are London/Paris in May and Bay of Naples in October. We already have a May 17th LHR-BOS flight to use or lose. Those are trips where we don't need a rental car so they're relatively inexpensive.

It all kind of depends on the strength of the dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement