Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:34 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,742,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Not sure why the above was censored. The word I used was Y A K.
Weird. The only definition for what you wrote that I know is either gabbing or puking. Neither worthy of censorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 10:35 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,234,813 times
Watch the judge shows in the afternoon.
Walk around the neighborhood picking up trash. I don't see any young people doing this or old people for that matter.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,367,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Save rubber bands from the newspaper.
Still use a Rolodex.
Drink instant coffee.
Turn off lights when not in the room.
Long for the days of good manners and decorum.
You still get a newspaper? I gave up on mine several years ago when it got so puny.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:39 AM

2,487 posts, read 1,431,213 times
Having a sex life that consist of only an occasional stimulating conversation.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:39 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,821,178 times
Groan sometimes when standing up from a low couch.

Use reading glasses.

Go upstairs for something, get distracted and do something else, then go back downstairs, then remember that I forgot to do what I went up there for in the first place.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,742,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
5 or 6 years ago, I was privately repulsed by a friend who grunted and groaned while getting up and down.

Now I do (but not in public)---

If that's not "old person", I don't know what is...
I caught myself doing that a couple times within the last year. Hope it doesn’t become the norm.

The other old-person thing is that I cannot lift or carry the heavy things I used to routinely do. And I have to TELL people so, which makes me feel even older. I have always been strong for my size, so this really bothers me.

This year I did an absurd amount of snow shoveling and weeding (still doing the latter). For the first time, my body did not recover quickly.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:41 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
I do LOTS of old people stuff, but have for years.

Crochet. Sew. Use part of a paper towel. Read up on politics. Talk to myself. Collect change and put it in the machine at the bank.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-25-2019, 10:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,930,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Watching more TV reruns (Frasier, Murder She Wrote, Columbo are my favorites)

Now that I'm retired I've stopped wearing make-up altogether. Too hot in FL and at this stage of the game who am I trying to impress?

I walk like an "old person"--I get up off a chair or out of bed and I shuffle along until the stiffness subsides.

This is the first time I've purchased shoes (sneakers) for $100+. Had to get orthotics ($60) and orthotic flip-flops ($99 on sale) and a gel foam topper for my mattress--all in an attempt to mitigate low back pain.

It takes me 2-3 days to recover from a gym workout

I now understand why old people like to abscond with and save packets of sugar, mustard, catsup, etc. It would take me 2 years to finish one bottle of catsup! I once discovered an unopened jar of peanut butter in my pantry that expired a year earlier. I opened it and eventually used up the entire jar--and have lived to tell about it

I had to break down and get a grocery cart as the distance from my parking space to the door of my apartment is too far to lug grocery bags by hand.

I'm looking more and more like my dad in drag

I've become a "bag lady" much like my mother. I save/reuse all sorts of plastic bags. Likewise, carrying around 30 pounds of loose change in my wallet....

I'm less patient than I used to be--again the apple doesn't fall far from that familial tree!

The difference between and young concert goers and senior concert goers:

--Young people carry their license, keys and credit card (maybe makeup if they're girls)

--A Senior carries their license, keys and credit card--PLUS cash, their Medicare card, their medical insurance card, their ARP card, AAA membership card and auto insurance card, any medications they may need and perhaps a snack/drink and a sweater in case it gets cold, etc. I also carry a small drawstring backpack folded up and tucked in my purse just in case I get tired of carrying all that stuff. I have a jacket that also folds up into a small pouch.

I had to laugh reading this because some of it is so ME. lol

I've been watching the same shows you have plus the old 50s/60s Perry Mason, Peter Gunn, Dragnet, Route 66 and a few others. Am amazed at how many times a day, and how many channels, show the old Roy Rogers and Lone Ranger shows. I don't watch those. Perry Mason is on SIX times a day so I really get my 'fix' with that.

I quit wearing makeup when I went to work for Walmart nine years ago and they put me outside in the garden area in JULY! Not pleasant to have makeup running all over and mascara in the eyes! So I quit wearing all that and either nobody noticed or they were polite enough to not say anything. lol

I've never bought very expensive shoes and with all my years of working jobs, on my feet many hours a day, I'm surprised that I have no foot/leg problems. But cheap shoes really aren't good for you. I'm just too 'cheap' to fork over that much money.

I have a small container full of fast food condiments. Left over from takeout orders. I wouldn't take them from a restaurant just to have them though. And you are right...it takes forever to use up stuff like mustard and catsup.

I got one of those carts too. Best 'investment' I could have made. It's a heavy duty one so I can also use it to haul stuff to the storage shed, garage, trash can, etc.. I use it to haul everything in and then haul the resulting trash back out.

Every once in a while I have to take all the change out of my wallet and put it in my jars. Yesterday I had nearly $4 worth!

I've always had a lot of patience, which isn't always a good thing, and I haven't changed. HAD to have a lot of it working with the public so many years. lol

No concerts here but can attest to hauling all the stuff you mentioned with me. Be prepared, right?? lol

Oh, yeah, I still move pretty good. Not too much in the way of 'creaks'.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:44 AM

344 posts, read 417,936 times
Play the tv really loud.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,930,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What "old person" things do you do?

Cuss out movie directors who think it's avant garde to film action scenes in such low light no one can see what's happening

Watch modern-day Westerns (Longmire, Yellowstone)

Remain defiant about not coloring my gray hair

I don't watch movies much but I notice the same thing with the old 50s/60s TV shows. I guess all the crimes and murders take place in the semi-dark. Some of them have really lousy sound too and hard to understand what they are saying. Dragnet is bad for that but I guess I can't expect more from something filmed in 1956!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement