Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 26 25.49%
SUV/Crossover 76 74.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 03:51 PM

451 posts, read 497,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
As I am lying here typing this, I can look down and see the extensive bruising and the big bandage on my right knee from the revision of my prior total knee replacement. I had this surgery last Wednesday. Can't see it but I can certainly feel the pain which is not fun.

I have a Mercedes sedan in the garage along with my new Porsche Macan SUV -either can be driven for me to get me out of the house. Which one do you think I am riding in? Right, the Porsche SUV. It would be painful to lower myself into the Benz sedan and it is a snap to get in and out of the SUV. You may be doing fine now, but who knows what the future will bring.

Go ride in some different SUV's and don't get a subcompact one. You can't see out the rear windows so blind spot assistance is a must. I would not go smaller than what I have now.

If you are going to keep your car for a long time, see if you can upgrade from the Toyota/Honda-specific brands. Take a test ride in a Lexus/Acura/Audi/Volvo/Mercedes/BMW. Yes they cost more but you get what you pay for. I wanted to have one fun/sporty car now that I am in my late 60s so I chose a Porsche. And I can tell you, it is FUN!
Sorry about your situation. I appreciate you reminding me how dumb my comment was and that I need to quit burying my head in the sand! I know now more than ever that life can change in an instant. I had four surgeries and was in the hospital for the first time in my life this year (for almost a month!) because of invasive melanoma on my lower left leg. I could barely walk after my first surgery, and I'm glad I had some old crutches to help me get around my house. The whole thing is a blur at this point so I really don't recall getting in and out of a car the couple of times that I had to go to post op appointments before my surgeon unexpectedly put me in the hospital. I've always been very healthy and a health nut so I guess I'm in denial even though I'm still in physical therapy! I'm also doing great now compared to when the nightmare first started. I still don't want to believe all that happened to healthy me, and I never want to go through something like that ever again.

I cracked up when you suggested I should upgrade from the Toyota/Honda-specific brands and to test drive a luxury brand. I currently have a 1999 BMW 323i that I've been driving since it was new. When I started looking this time, I decided to get a less expensive car that has a history of reliability. I love my BMW, but they're money pits and too darn expensive to repair. I'd love a Lexus, but I don't want to spend that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Sorry for so aggressively cropping the quote from your post, but you mention twice the desire for sprightly acceleration. And I thank you for doing this! Too often, we value non-performance attributes, ending up with sluggish cars. This is fine for a very elderly person who foremost needs convenient and comfortable transportation, but that isn't really you, is it?

Though normally I'm skeptical of new technology, here's a perhaps odd option to consider: a Tesla Model-3. Excellent acceleration, and reasonable comfort. The long-term value proposition is OK, compared to other cars of comparable performance.
I could care less about comfort if a car doesn't have a history of reliability. It's funny because it's not like I'm some speed demon or anything like that. Far from it, but I also don't want to feel a lag or sluggishness when I try to accelerate at a stop light or wherever. On the other hand, people keep reminding me that I've been driving my V6 BMW for 20 years and that the couple of cars I test drove were 4 cylinders.

I'm also skeptical of new technology. I do my best to stay away from it unless I'm forced to buy it, like now with these newer transmissions because the government is mandating better gas mileage.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
OP, you're never going to find a vehicle everyone likes. Too many varied tastes out there, from folks like me, who view a car/SUV as just transportation, to folks that view it as a public statement of their personality, to those that want to telegraph their "success" - common among owners of premium brands, to performance enthusiasts.

Reliability? Much depends on how you define it, and how you measure it. Consumer Reports, the gold standard to many, has its own limitations, including hair-splitting in some categories. Almost all cars these days are quite reliable, especially compared to decades back. There are of course, exceptions, but they tend to either get fixed by manufacturers pretty quickly or they leave the market, like happened to the Yugo (and Fiat for that matter) some time back. Yes, new models their first year tend to have more things to be fixed, but under warranty.

If I were in your shoes, I'd do as many test drives of different things as I could, trying out different brands and models to find what works for me. Sure, I'd read the reviews and such, but mostly to get an idea of what to look for. After all, I'm not a professional automobile reviewer/writer, so I no doubt will see things differently.

Remember too that criticism generally gets more eyeballs than praise, whether online or in print.
Thanks. You're right. I should test drive more than the two I have so far, but if I don't see consistent ratings or comments that a car has a history of reliability, lasts forever and is safe, it's not going to matter to me if I like how it drives or feels. I realize everyone likes something different and there's always going to be complaints on every car, but if I see complaint after complaint about the same issue, I want to stay far, far away.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:34 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
... my plan was to buy either a Toyota or Honda (and still is) since those brands have always been very reliable, which is my #1 criteria. I then started learning about CVT transmissions in new cars in general and how so many people hate them. I posted this thread a couple of months ago and have been driving myself crazy ever since. I’m still not inclined to buy a car that has a CVT, which is difficult because so many have them today. I’d prefer a traditional automatic transmission.
I don't blame you. After a lifetime of driving mostly manual transmissions, I had a hard time appreciating any kind of automatic, but a CVT? Ugh! So then I traded my F250 with a 6-speed manual for a Prius nearly 5 years ago. *LMAO* I hated that CVTe for the first year. Now? I kinda like it. Another thing about the Prius is that it saves me so much money. I drive 30K miles a year for my business, and instead of getting 15-16 mpg with my old Ford diesel, I get 45 mpg with the Prius. But best of all is reliability. Other than tires, oil changes and a few other scheduled maintenance items, the Prius has given me absolute rock-solid dependability. The only unscheduled mechanical *cost* was a 35 cent fuse that the dealer didn't charge me for. (Charging my laptop computer from an outlet that it shouldn't have been plugged into.) It's unreal except that it is real!

Quote:
...In the beginning, I sort of thought about a Prius or hybrid, but it doesn’t make financial sense for me. I don’t drive anywhere near the kind of miles I used to drive so I can’t justify paying all that extra money upfront or later buying a more expensive battery.
Agreed. Much of the cost of a Prius is for excellent fuel mileage. You don't need that.

Quote:
At this point in my life, I don’t have any problems getting in and out of my car, and I want to believe it will always be that way. In fact, I have a hard time thinking otherwise, but this is exactly why I posted this thread. I always like to learn from people who have more life experience than me or have been through something that I haven’t.
I'm pushing mid-70s, have had back surgery twice, and now my spine seems to be fusing itself together. You'd probably be surprised which vehicles are hard to climb into and out of. I have no problem climbing in and out of my Prius, but it's nearly impossible for me to get in and out of my wife's old Saturn coupe. I find the same to be true with a few other cars in the dealerships. Some look like they should be easy to get in and out of but aren't.

I only get into my wife's car when I'm sent out to fill the gas tank every month or two. I've got to tilt the seat back rearward, then slide the seat back to its stops, get in, crane my neck more than it wants to go, then finally drag my head inside. (Hopefully before slamming the door.) She had that car when she first moved in with me more than 20 years ago. (It's a '97.) It never used to be difficult to get in and out of for either of us, but it's now time to find a bigger door opening! It's aged better than either of us!

I urge you to be careful with what car you buy, if you're planning to keep it for 20 years. She's only put 20-25K miles on her car in the past 20 years, but it's got to go. When you can't get yourself into your car, it's time to find a different one. The best cars for egress that I've tried recently were the Subaru wagons, but I haven't tried on a whole lot of cars and no big ones.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:20 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,919 times
Let me add a new consideration to buying decisions: Wheels and tires. Many upscale brands - Lexus, BMW et al - have low profile high performance tires. This leads to several things: First, tire life is reduced, often half or less of more normal tires. Next, depending on what has been fit, rain grip and worse, winter performance are reduced. Finally, the wheels are much ore vulnerable to pothole damage. I know. Been there. Bought three new wheels over two years for a car I had.

Low profile tires and wheels can look great, but have big downsides.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:00 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I liked the two Kia Soul's I had. I'm vertically challenged and I liked being able to sit a little higher.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:50 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,245,672 times
Uber!

Old 09-04-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I don't blame you. After a lifetime of driving mostly manual transmissions, I had a hard time appreciating any kind of automatic, but a CVT? Ugh! So then I traded my F250 with a 6-speed manual for a Prius nearly 5 years ago. *LMAO* I hated that CVTe for the first year. Now? I kinda like it. Another thing about the Prius is that it saves me so much money. I drive 30K miles a year for my business, and instead of getting 15-16 mpg with my old Ford diesel, I get 45 mpg with the Prius. But best of all is reliability. Other than tires, oil changes and a few other scheduled maintenance items, the Prius has given me absolute rock-solid dependability. The only unscheduled mechanical *cost* was a 35 cent fuse that the dealer didn't charge me for. (Charging my laptop computer from an outlet that it shouldn't have been plugged into.) It's unreal except that it is real!

Agreed. Much of the cost of a Prius is for excellent fuel mileage. You don't need that.

I'm pushing mid-70s, have had back surgery twice, and now my spine seems to be fusing itself together. You'd probably be surprised which vehicles are hard to climb into and out of. I have no problem climbing in and out of my Prius, but it's nearly impossible for me to get in and out of my wife's old Saturn coupe. I find the same to be true with a few other cars in the dealerships. Some look like they should be easy to get in and out of but aren't.

I only get into my wife's car when I'm sent out to fill the gas tank every month or two. I've got to tilt the seat back rearward, then slide the seat back to its stops, get in, crane my neck more than it wants to go, then finally drag my head inside. (Hopefully before slamming the door.) She had that car when she first moved in with me more than 20 years ago. (It's a '97.) It never used to be difficult to get in and out of for either of us, but it's now time to find a bigger door opening! It's aged better than either of us!

I urge you to be careful with what car you buy, if you're planning to keep it for 20 years. She's only put 20-25K miles on her car in the past 20 years, but it's got to go. When you can't get yourself into your car, it's time to find a different one. The best cars for egress that I've tried recently were the Subaru wagons, but I haven't tried on a whole lot of cars and no big ones.
Thanks for making me feel better that I made the right decision to not want a CVT or hybrid and that it's okay for me to be extra cautious considering I want to keep my next car again for 20 years. The problem is I'm driving myself and everyone else crazy trying to find the right one for me. I need to find something soon so I can move on with my life and feel safe again to drive because right now I don't!

Old 09-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I liked the two Kia Soul's I had. I'm vertically challenged and I liked being able to sit a little higher.
Thanks. Is that the only reason you liked the Kia Soul? What year and which model do you have or did you have? I sort of have the impression that you no longer have a Soul, and, if so, why not?

Honestly, I would never have considered a Korean brand before, but it seems several people in this retirement forum or at least my thread like the Kia Soul. I have to say it’s starting to grow on me a little after doing a quick search. Unlike other cars I’ve looked at, several sites like this one below are consistent and positive about it’s reliability although I don’t know if Consumer Reports agrees or recommends them. If I bought one, I’d definitely get a new 2019 because I understand it still has a six-speed automatic transmission, and I think the 2020’s are going to have a CVT so that wouldn’t be an option. I’d for sure want leather so I assume that’s an available option on these cars. Believe me, I’d be thrilled if I liked it because I’d save money versus buying a new Camry, which is still on my list. It also doesn’t hurt that the Kia Soul supposedly has a five-year warranty, but reliability, longevity and safety are the most important things to me.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/kia/soul/2019

Old 09-11-2019, 04:50 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,699 times
Quote:
Thanks. Is that the only reason you liked the Kia Soul? What year and which model do you have or did you have? I sort of have the impression that you no longer have a Soul, and, if so, why not?

Honestly, I would never have considered a Korean brand before, but it seems several people in this retirement forum or at least my thread like the Kia Soul. I have to say it’s starting to grow on me a little after doing a quick search. Unlike other cars I’ve looked at, several sites like this one below are consistent and positive about it’s reliability although I don’t know if Consumer Reports agrees or recommends them. If I bought one, I’d definitely get a new 2019 because I understand it still has a six-speed automatic transmission, and I think the 2020’s are going to have a CVT so that wouldn’t be an option. I’d for sure want leather so I assume that’s an available option on these cars. Believe me, I’d be thrilled if I liked it because I’d save money versus buying a new Camry, which is still on my list. It also doesn’t hurt that the Kia Soul supposedly has a five-year warranty, but reliability, longevity and safety are the most important things to me.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/kia/soul/2019
I have a 2020 Soul with the CVT transmission. It does not feel or drive like a CVT. I had a Nissan Sentra rental earlier this year, that was a lousy CVT. Sounded like an angry dying cat especially when ascending hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement