Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 26 25.49%
SUV/Crossover 76 74.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 06:13 PM

5,945 posts, read 5,084,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Wow! And here I thought cruise control was the cat's meow! lol

I drive, what I call, a 'granny' car. A Buick Century. I almost feel like it's too big for me but it's a good car, comfortable to drive and really good gas mileage. It's great for long road trips, quiet and smooth. My all time favorite car was my Honda Accord. I had two Toyota Celicas and liked them a lot too but I do want another Honda Accord.

In 1993 I bought a 1993 Honda Accord. What a car!! Very nice. It was a pinkish/grey color. I liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 06:18 PM

1,009 posts, read 722,295 times
Mazda cx5. awd if in snow country.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:24 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,091,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
I’m a 60-year old female and looking for a new 2019 or 2020 car. I know that everyone says not to buy new, but that’s what I want since I hope to keep my next car at least 20 years, which is how long I’ve had my current car. I’m a planner so I’m thinking into my future needs as I age, and this could be my last car.

When I started this process, I never even considered anything but a sedan because that’s the only kind I’ve owned, but I saw this article and others like it and wonder if I’d be making a mistake at this stage of my life.
https://clark.com/cars/best-cars-senior-drivers/

If I did buy an SUV, I’d definitely want the most reliable and durable smaller crossover type so it’s more compact or subcompact. As a senior driver, what do you drive, and do you prefer a sedan or SUV and why? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.
i just bought a new accord sedan. i've always preferred sedans but now that i think about it i'm not sure why. maybe to me most SUVs are just bigger and more vehicle than i need. i also like sitting closer to the ground and am able to get in and out without a problem. i mean, it's not like getting out of a lambo.

the accord has way more bells and whistles than i need but the safety features, lane assist, variable cruise, etc. are nice. seems most of those things are pretty standard now.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:24 PM

4,263 posts, read 5,891,595 times
I can't edit my previous post which contained an acronym that many may mis-interpret as a car model.

CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission. A type of automatic transmission which uses no gears or clutches and promises greater efficiency, but which has a history of reliability disappointments regardless of the vehicle's brand name.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:01 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,503,477 times
Honda Accord..

Old 08-25-2019, 07:13 PM

10,581 posts, read 5,549,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
As a senior driver, what do you drive, and do you prefer a sedan or SUV and why?
Thank goodness I can sit in the back with my Grey Poupon.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:24 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,181,814 times
Smile Thank you for that assessment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We have a 2017 Subaru Outback and we really enjoy it. It is a total "nanny car". Maximally adjustable seats, up down, forward, back, seat tilt, lumbar adjustment, heated. Backup camera with green and yellow lines super imposed. side mirrors with sensors for car in the adjacent lane. Variable cruise control, adjusts to the car ahead of you, adjustable to 2,3,4 car lengths. All wheel drive. 30 mpg, with a 450 mile range. The cruise will bring you all the way to a stop and then accelerate back to cruising speed. Driving lights on all the time, but not as bright as headlights. Lots of room in the back for groceries. If you aren't paying close attention and the ahead of you does an emergency stop, will apply the brakes for you to a stop.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but for late 60's folks it is a very safe car and fun to drive.

So is the Forrester, a very nice car with all the same features. It's amazing how many Subaru's we see in western Oregon.
My husband has been dreaming about getting one of these (Outback) - a new one. He is tall, though, so the seat has to be able to sit lower. He doesn't want his head hitting the top.

Do you mean this would be something a nanny would drive also?

Old 08-25-2019, 07:26 PM

44 posts, read 93,363 times
We had two hybrid vehicles -- a Civic and a Prius. Loved them both but decided at 67 yrs old I just wanted something a bit bigger and more luxurious. I know everyone says to buy used but we keep a car a long time and I'd prefer not to purchase someone else's problem.

Purchased a new 2018 Honda CRV Touring and I love it. Getting 30 miles to the gallon which is of course not as good as the Prius, but the comfort and extensive safety features make up for the loss in gas mileage.

I never thought I would buy a crossover/SUV vehicle because I'm not the best at parking and always thought it would be too much car for me. But I love driving it and now can't see myself ever going back to a smaller vehicle.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:38 PM

645 posts, read 1,524,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission. A type of automatic transmission which uses no gears or clutches and promises greater efficiency, but which has a history of reliability disappointments regardless of the vehicle's brand name.
One huge reason I never look at Subaru vehicles and many others, is exactly because they have a conventional CVT transmission, and also because of excessive oil use (other brands too), and the bad taste left from so many head gasket issues you will see. I know, many will report there is no head gasket issue, consumer report seems OK with how they hold up and perhaps they finally did correct it, just the same it sticks with me... At least since 2013 they finally got on board using a timing chain on almost all models.

I should mention it's just not the seeming fact that many CVT transmissions (JATCO) have very profound reliability issues, it's also I hate how they drive... They always seem/sound/act like a slipping MT clutch. Lastly, the CVT used in the Toyota Prius, Lexus CT (Hybrid Synergy Drive), are other Toyota hybrids a very different cat. They do in fact used steel gears and other methods to propel, not the cone drum and belt/steel push belt found in other CVT systems. If interested, here is a very nice video very clearly showing this fascinating system.

https://youtu.be/dLNDGUISTYM

Old 08-25-2019, 07:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,472,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We own three SAABs and one of them is 20 years old, the newest is 12 years old.

Slightly higher vehicles, such as Subaru's lifted wagons or small Cross-overs, are easier for Seniors to enter/exit, and load/unload the cargo area.

There is tremendous change in automobiles currently and the only way a new vehicle will provide you with 20 years of Parts and Service availability is to stay with a brand that still honors their roots. Such as Subaru, although I would avoid their CVT as it is new and may not yet be proven.
Now that is just plain silly. You say buy a Subaru, but avoid the CVT? Why not simply say don’t buy a Subaru, because your only transmission choice is a CVT.

Side note: we just bought a new Subaru and I am surprised how well the CVT works. Solid shifting. Smooth acceleration. Feels like a typical automatic, but it adjusts RPMs to what the conditions require.

And Jay, the CVTs of 2019 don’t perform like the rubber-band units of 20 years ago. We just got rid of Mrs5150’s 2002 Legacy with 200,000 miles. OK’ I’ll concede we did have oil leaks. But the water pump and radiator blowing at 200k said time for a new car.

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-25-2019 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement