Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 01:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

Keep the car, my husband is not big on driving either. But when I hurt my back recently, he had to drive, I could t walk home either. Keep it for emergency since you already have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 01:56 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I thought about that too and it might be what I end up doing. I tend to be kind of frugal and am having a difficult time in my mind justifying spending $1500 to transport the car and then go through the hassle and expense of registering it in the new state when it may not really be necessary.
Everything I think I need on a regular basis will be within a 5-10 minute walk including entertainment, coffee shops, small grocery store, pharmacy, restaurants, library, local pub, and so on. And probably most important, I tend to be a home body and not very adventurous about getting in a car and just driving.

You could, I guess, just drive the car to your new home, or tow it with a U-Haul. I don't think towing with a U-Haul would set you back $1500, but, maybe it would. Not sure if you are shipping most of your stuff with a commercial mover, or already plan to rent a truck, or what. But unless your current ride is huge, like an original "real" Hummer, there are easy ways to tow it behind the U-Haul. Or put it on a trailer, behind the U-Haul. Keep in mind commercial movers won't take a lot of stuff, ammo, components, most any liquid - so if you want to bring these things with you, you have to haul them in your own rig. Or a U-Haul. I am using "U-Haul" like "Coke" as a generic term for the whole class of you-drive-it rental trucks, I'm not saying one brand is better than another. You just have to see who will give you the best deal today, and go with that.

Myself, I am a car guy, a car hobbyist, so I plan to both drive and wrench more when I retire. But I am a dedicated rural kind of guy, no way would I live in an area like you are planning to go to. My cars are all old, either fully depreciated or like the eponymous M3, appreciating. If I sold one for even a rather high price given what it is, I would have a hard time buying as good a vehicle as what I have now with the money. I have personally worked most all the "bugs" out of them. Some, like my Dad's old GMC pickup and Impala, have sentimental value to me.

That small grocery store within walking distance probably won't have the best prices. Maybe you are OK with that. But I do like to stock up on sales, case of this and a case of that, so I need a car to haul my purchases. Of course if you have Uber, Lyft, etc. and/or Zipcar available, then you don't have to own a car to have this utility.

That said, I am not trying to tell you that this would be a mistake, for you. And if you sell your car there where you are now, it's not like you can't buy another car in your retirement town. You may indeed want a different kind of car - maybe sell an SUV and then buy a Miata, for example. Kind of depends on how well you like your current car, and how difficult it might be to replace in your retirement town.

Final thought - your car might be worth more in your retirement town than where it is now. Or not.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 08-26-2019 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 02:30 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I didn't want to hijack the other thread here about driving, but am wondering if anyone has given up owning a car after retiring.
I'm having mixed feelings about doing this. I'm moving to a small town after retiring and purposely planning to buy a home within easy walking distance to most things I need in the downtown area. There is also public transportation available which is no out of pocket cost for seniors. Has anyone gone without a car after retiring?
Just because you retire doesn't mean you must start relying on public services just because they exist. I am retired. The only thing that really changed about driving was where I go. I no longer commute to the same place every day. I'm sure the car was bored. It probably enjoys less routine and more variety now. That new spontaneity is a big part of the pleasure of retirement. I enjoy hopping in the car and going for a drive or to a favorite place to walk, bike, or just stop and stare because of that.

FWIW, this seems rather draconian. Like you are already labeling yourself as someone needing to rely on others. Needing the free stuff. Someone who has fewer choices, someone who is resigning themselves to being dependent, living a smaller scale life. Kind of like not using a muscle and losing the ability to. You don't know what life is going to be like there yet; not the daily routine, not the leisure. You are making a lot of big changes. Maybe some are better postponed until the dust settles. IMHO being a new arrival and also arriving there already dependent on systems you haven't used seems counter intuitive. Just when you would want to feel in some control you are taking that away from yourself.

Unless there's some major reason why you don't want to drive or ship your car to your new location, why not keep it and see how things go once you are established there? You can use the bus despite owning a car. You can always sell your car you if find you don't use it. That would probably be a lot easier than realizing you want/need a car and having to buy another.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-26-2019 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 02:45 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Are you moving to Kentucky like you planned Marino? If so, and it were me, I'd want to keep my car to go explore my new beautiful state. I love my drives through new country roads and I would be doing it way too often to justify renting a car. Kentucky is one gorgeous state. Good luck on your move.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:50 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Not me, and certainly not in a rural area.

In the city, maybe, with public transportation at your beck and call, but what about when you need to go someplace else, take a drive in the country, or a trip to the shore, will you take a bus? No thanks, a car is freedom, and I'm keeping my car as long as possible.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
I'll give up driving when they pry the steering wheel out of my cold dead fingers.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
My mom did, after my dad passed away. She never liked driving much anyway, so she gave her car to my husband and I. The deal was that if she needed a ride, we'd help her if possible. Otherwise she took transit or rode her mobility scooter, or took her scooter on transit (not sure this is an option everywhere). Being a very social person, she loved doing things that way instead of driving alone everywhere. She felt more free and self-reliant than she had with a car she didn't like driving. She wasn't overly demanding with asking for rides, and I only worked part time, so it was a deal that worked out very well for the both of us.

As an aside - "cars are meant to be driven" is a line from my mechanic husband. He says that people who take constant short trips can have cars that are rotting out with rust from not being driven enough. So that extreme low-miler might not be a great bargain to sell.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:43 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My car only costs 95/month between registration, gas and insurance. I would not give it up.
By the time you consider depreciation, maintainance, etc., most studies I’ve seen have the annual cost of owning/driving a reliable older car probably north of $6K/yr.

Seniors ride free on our local bus system. $6k/yr would cover a huge number of Uber/Lyft rides to supplement that.

Cars are expensive.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:00 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
If I could do without a car, I would.

It's a lot of fuss and bother and no small expense.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:26 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I would never give up driving voluntarily. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement