Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I have no car.

Grocery delivery services are extensive - Instacart.com, Shipt.com, https://grocery.walmart.com, Prime delivery, and another three additional local grocery delivery services here from large local stores.

I have 8 or 9 good options and I've had groceries delivered all the time for 14 years in two cities.

Here Instacart.com covers Cubs Foods, Target, Costco, Aldi, and a couple more really nice large grocery stores delivering fresh groceries. All of the above deliver fresh groceries by truck including https://grocery.walmart.com. Instacart.com covers different stores in each city (and area) of the U.S.

(there is also Kroger.com, Safeway.com, and Peapod.com in some areas for grocery delivery)

I realize a good number of areas may not have grocery delivery. But https://www.walmart.com (which is different from https://grocery.walmart.com) and Target.com deliver groceries by FedEx and UPS. (delivery is free with $35 and $25 purchase and over)

I've lived in 8 different states in my life and always took buses. My current city has transit for seniors and disabled. (plus a great regular bus system and some light rail - but I use senior transit)

I think you're on a good potential track in your thinking Marino760, and you can feel confident in what you choose to do. (the decision is not irreversible) And that you're moving to a place where walking will be emphasized and convenient for you is great. The bus system you describe in your new town sounds great and well-done.
I don't want nonperishables, like cereal or condiments, being left outside in a box on an extremely hot or cold day. I don't want something like that getting rained on.

I guess if I was at home all day and could get the shipment as it arrived, that would be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't want nonperishables, like cereal or condiments, being left outside in a box on an extremely hot or cold day. I don't want something like that getting rained on.

I guess if I was at home all day and could get the shipment as it arrived, that would be OK.
you know cereals and condiments probably spend lots of time in hot trucks or in some warehouse just waiting to be shelved.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:20 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
My neighborhood is completely landlocked, so giving up my car isn't even a current consideration. Unfortunately, the main road to my subdivision doesn't even have shoulders to walk on let alone sidewalks. I guess if I absolutely had to get out on foot I could cut through a small swath of woods to an adjacent neighborhood and walk out on some backroads. BUT, I am increasingly reluctant to drive at night and VERY reluctant to drive at night in the rain. This has gotten a little easier as I have become more familiar with the roads in my new areas, but, still, I don't like driving at night. It has made me think about what I would do if I was no longer able to drive during the day. Fortunately, I live only a couple of miles from shopping with many delivery options. Doctors would only be a short uber ride away. It would be doable, even if I didn't have car, but I think I would be getting out a lot less often.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:02 AM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I didn't want to hijack the other thread here about driving, but am wondering if anyone has given up owning a car after retiring...
I doubt you will get many votes in the affirmative here but for sure it's done occasionally, sometimes by choice and sometimes necessity.

I know one of each in rural Puna, Big Island of Hawaii. Not the ideal area to go without, one would think, as it's many miles to any stores. They have figured out a way to make it work though. The one poverty struck guy doesn't even have a refrigerator at his home, so he buys only dry goods.

The region of Alaska where I live is very conducive to going without a car, though very few actually do it. There is one community, however, where no cars exist so it's not really on option to have one.

Although we don't drive much, it sure comes in handy at times to haul sporting gear and ourselves around for distances of several miles.

Couldn't hurt to give it a try!

Old 08-27-2019, 09:09 AM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Are you moving to Kentucky like you planned Marino? If so, and it were me, I'd want to keep my car to go explore my new beautiful state. I love my drives through new country roads and I would be doing it way too often to justify renting a car. Kentucky is one gorgeous state. Good luck on your move.
I would second this. Even though I did ship my car when I moved, I thought I would use it far less than I do. While in Cleveland briefly during the wintertime, it's true, I did a lot less driving. But after moving further south this spring, there is so much beautiful countryside to explore, which would be impossible to do without a car. I imagine Kentucky is similar. I vote for "keep the car". Plus, if you are anything like me (and you may not be!) You jettisoned a lot of stuff before your move (or you will) and will need to replace things. While it makes sense to order online and have things delivered, it's an adventure to check out second hand/antique stores for unique items to replace what you may not have brought along....which will require a vehicle.....just my thoughts.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:13 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Yes, we did that. It was part of our retirement plan to jettison the cars. Frees up a lot of money!

Luxury buses go everywhere. On the rare time we don't ride to the store with friends, we take the bus TO the store, then taxi back with our bags. Ambulances are free for an emergency.

We've already explored around here with other people, so fly to other countries to explore new places. We don't miss driving one bit.

But I think in the U.S. it's tricky to find a non-car area. Good for those of you who have.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

All the many grocery delivery services I listed deliver ONLY when you are at home. So for you it would be in the evenings or possibly on a weekend, if you choose. You choose the time of delivery time or the small window of delivery - to coincide with when you are home! I prefer the evening delivery. They are delivered by local trucks/vans. (not UPS/FedEx).

(in the case of choosing not one of the many grocery delivery services I listed, and you choose Walmart.com or Target.com using UPS or FedEx for non-perishables then yes the box can come at any time - but it's not the problem you are making it out to be).

(Walmart.com and Target.com also have additional grocery delivery services where you choose the time you wish for delivery to coincide with when you plan to be home, evenings are popular, as our a certain small window of delivery time during a weekend)

Old 08-27-2019, 03:48 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes, I lived that life before and frankly enjoyed it. That's a big reason I picked this town as a retirement destination. It has a vibrant downtown along with public transportation, yet retains it's history, architecture and small size. All that said, it's not stuck in the 1920s. It's also the medical hub for the surrounding counties. The old historical part of town is it's center on the Ohio River where I will live in or next to the historic district. The newer part is not visible from there and over some hills. That's where the hospital is along with the big box stores which is a walmart, lowes and Kroger as well as other things. The bus route takes you from one end of the old town to the other, then over the hills to the new part of town and then back again.

Slightly off topic but I guess you have researched historical flood levels, right? I think you said the house you have an eye on is quite old so that is a point in it's favor.

Many old towns are built up next to a river as the river provided transport to the "outside world". But the rivers also flooded then, and now.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I did 15 yrs after retirement when I ended up with a narley hip replacement and mess of a knee...I'd be dangerous behind wheel. Drove and owned over 60 yrs and it's freeing and the money I'm saving....people help me and get deliveries and I have no desire to be out there in the maddening crowds.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:40 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
I avoid driving at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement