Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 06:19 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times

Advertisements

so long as ur not drinking & driving.

& ur drunk--yes alone is fine. otherwise kinda boring as enuf time alone in the afterlife, no?

music's always better when 2's a party...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 06:31 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
so long as ur not drinking & driving.

& ur drunk--yes alone is fine. otherwise kinda boring as enuf time alone in the afterlife, no?

music's always better when 2's a party...
You can still have a party with as many people as you like, you just don't need to travel with them, and who says you're alone in the afterlife?

Old 08-28-2019, 08:18 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
I took a 2-week road trip in a 17-year-old Camry, no phone or radio. Went to 15 minor league baseball games, slept every night in the car in the ballpark parking lot. Appleton WI to Savannah GA to Erie PA. Never talked to anybody, except fans in nearby seats at a few games, or to ask for extra veggies and senior discount on my Whopper. I was 64.

The most exhilarating trip of my life.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:40 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I love to travel by myself but I get lonesome sometimes so it forces me to go out and talk to people and that’s a good thing because I tend to be kind of reserved. I talk to men and women of all ages and have met some interesting folks. I even had a brief romance with a man I met at the Walmart parking lot in Tucson last New Year’s Eve.

Last winter I went to the rubber tramp rendezvous in AZ and toyed with the idea of hooking up with a caravan of folks who travel together...they make plans and meet somewhere and when they get tired of that they choose another spot and repeat. I got impatient with the whole thing pretty quickly. It’s nice to know that I can drop in and out when I like though they didn’t really encourage that. This one I mean...not all feel that way.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:44 PM

927 posts, read 757,670 times
For the older ladies there's always the Red Hat Ladies

Old 08-28-2019, 09:00 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Nah, I can do all that with DH, and I enjoy his company. While I am very good at being alone, and could make it work, I would prefer not too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2019, 09:05 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Do you enjoy traveling alone?

I freaking LOVE traveling alone.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:54 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As always, contrast is the salt that gives flavor to every experience. If you're ALWAYS alone, alone not by choice, or have no other option but to travel alone, if traveling alone is the norm and not the exception -- it's not all that "exhilarating."
Excellent point. I believe a lot of people who love to travel alone have a sufficient social circle so they have their social needs met back home. When they travel alone it's a refreshing break from the norm. Most of us need our alone time. Even if they've been alone socially for a while, they've had past significant others/friends and are now alone, but they weren't always alone for their whole life, and are probably alone by choice. With few exceptions, I don't think very many would like travelling alone if they've been alone socially their whole or most of their life.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:16 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
He who travels alone travels the fastest.

And if you pick the wrong traveling companion it could be slowest vacation you've ever taken.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:38 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
My hobby is photography and travelling with someone on a road trip would cause me to not stop or take the time for photographs when I want. My wife understood that and would take a book and just sit in the shade and read while I puttered around with my camera or went off down some back road. I always make hotel reservations ahead of time so I could stray off the main route for a few miles and we didn't have to worry about where to stay. Now, on my own, I wouldn't expect to find a travelling companion that understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement