Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 04:50 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Sorry, but I dont buy the food insecurity schtick. First, there is social security and welfare food stamps meals on wheels and various free food offers from others. Many cities also have food pantries with free food. We had one in Lubbock Tx. They had so much money they were paying kids in summer to come and be paid and taught how to grow food.

If these people are shut ins (cant get out of their house on their own) family needs to take them in or be put in nursing home or some assisted living arrangement. Maybe the local govt could take over and then bill the family. I've seen situations where the children of the elderly completely shirk their duty.
So you want to punish the elderly because their family won't help...or because they don't have family nearby...or don't have family, period?

Old 08-28-2019, 04:57 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
There are plenty of older people without family to look out for them. Either they didn't create a family or become estranged from the family they had.

When social services runs across someone who appears in need of a guardian, the first thing they do is try to track down a relative to do this. Even once you find someone, it can be difficult getting them to get involved.

People who never had children often only have nieces and nephews who don't feel any sense of responsibility to look after an aunt or uncle they barely know.

A father who abandons his family to take up with someone else, is in a poor position to convince his kids, now in their 50's and 60's to look out after him.

Or sometimes people have family members who are in no better position than they are to figure things out.

There are elders living in trailers where the sewer line just a pipe that runs out into the grass. However, the whole family lives like that. And they are all on the edge with food.

Once I was explaining about the free buses to the annual community Thanksgiving feast. One boy who lived with his grandmother told me that he knew about the buses and always made sure that he and his grandma got there. "It is the one time of the year I know we are going to get full."

Old 08-28-2019, 05:50 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
There are many opportunities in my local community for help for hungry seniors, but I am also aware of people who qualify for them who refuse to out of pride/shame. I don't know how to solve that.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:12 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
I make sure Mom's well fed.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Enough food for these people is thrown into dumpsters every night by restaurants and supermarkets, which are then locked up so the hungry can't get it.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:22 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I wonder, do people know the truck is there? Do they list it on the community calendar of your local newspaper? Or put up flyers at the senior centers or libraries? Lots of places to advertise for free.
yes they do

A lot is done on social media. The churches do publish it in their bulletins.

I started a page for my small town and i make sure that i post every single pantry or food bank truck delivery.

The lines have surged - so that tells me the word is getting out. And we still have items left over - especially when the food bank truck delivers.

We do have a grocery store chain in the area that is very generous. HEB based in San Antonio texas. Most of the items comes from them. They have an upscale store that sells mostly organic type food and we give those out also.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:26 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Sorry, but I dont buy the food insecurity schtick. First, there is social security and welfare food stamps meals on wheels and various free food offers from others. Many cities also have food pantries with free food. We had one in Lubbock Tx. They had so much money they were paying kids in summer to come and be paid and taught how to grow food.

If these people are shut ins (cant get out of their house on their own) family needs to take them in or be put in nursing home or some assisted living arrangement. Maybe the local govt could take over and then bill the family. I've seen situations where the children of the elderly completely shirk their duty.
Food stamps don't pay much. You'd have to really scrimp as a single person on food stamps. My girlfriend gets them - I think it's $193/month for her. That's not a lot to go on for food.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:28 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Food stamps don't pay much. You'd have to really scrimp as a single person on food stamps. My girlfriend gets them - I think it's $193/month for her. That's not a lot to go on for food.
for one person - it is. She would have to buy basic ingredients and put them together to make her meals.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:18 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
for one person - it is. She would have to buy basic ingredients and put them together to make her meals.
That's mostly true. Rotisserie chickens can be bought with EBT/SNAP nowadays, provided that they're cold. In which case, $10 buys 4 simple but adequate meals. While I don't live on EBT/SNAP now, I make my weekday lunches that way. So...

rotisserie chicken - $5
bag of rice - $1
bag of frozen broccoli - $2
packet of cheese sauce - $1
barbecue sauce - $1
salt and pepper - already have

You can make a variety of meals from those ingredients alone. You can combine them all into a casserole. Or you can eat chicken, rice, and broccoli with cheese separately. Or anything in-between.

That said, elderly persons going hungry is very, very wrong. Especially considering that we as a society waste nearly 40% of our food. I volunteer periodically at food banks, knowing that some of their food goes to the people who need it.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:48 PM

558 posts, read 433,850 times
I would never ask my adult children for food. Fortunately, it will never be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement