Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 05:30 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
What's the total cost?

I like the idea of a 1-way tour package with that in mind. Basically, you just put it on your VISA, go to the airport, and the rest of the trip is planned out.

I wouldn't mind seeing a decent concert and having a nice meal on the way.
I imagine, given the circumstances, it is cash only!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 06:50 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I've had breast cancer (2011) and thyroid cancer (2014). If I get cancer again I plan on doing nothing about it. Everyone in my family had long, lingering illnesses before they died. I do not plan on being one of them. Put me in Hospice, drug me up for pain and that's it. I will be 65 in December and I'm still healthy for the most part. I don't want to be a burden to my family.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:50 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Sorry to hear that... how attached are you to your location?
Maybe it is time to consider new adventures and move to a more urban environment? Or even another state?
It seems the trend now: the young and the old are moving to urban centers...
What do you have to lose if you still are healthy enough to try something new? which can possibly help you to “ future proof” your life in an old age?
Yes, I'm going to try to sell my house soon and move, before I get too old (moving is very physically and mentally hard...I just moved twice in the last few years).

My family pressured me to move here. I caved. Huge mistake. It's inappropriate for an aging person alone...I'm in a hurricane zone, to boot. (I have visions of myself, sick and 80 years old, unable to evacuate).

I have a new city picked out...it's near a major metro area, but the mid-sized city itself is a retirement haven. Good medical care and such.

OR...I'm still considering moving to a big city and renting in a walkable area near public transportation (if I can't afford to buy a house there).

Old 09-01-2019, 06:53 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
I'm 71 and in pretty good health but, other than a vitamin pill, I don't take any drugs. I went through the drug stage a few years ago. After having excellent test results for my age when I began the drugs, then terrible results after taking them for a year, that was it for me. There are way too many side effects that cause doctors to start giving more and more pills to help the patient with those side effects. It becomes totally out of control. I feel sorry for people because they do get scared when the doctor starts telling them that this, or that, COULD happen if they don't take these pills.
I'm 66 and that's my philosophy, too. So much is preventable. My 88-year old Dad was probably overtreated and over-medicated for awhile. He was having problems with fluid accumulation around his ankles and the doc suggested pressure socks (not sure if that's the right term). Dad had enough marbles left to complain to me that all that did was treat the symptom, not the root cause. Fortunately my sister, a doctor, moved into the area and has taken an active role in talking with his doctors. The edema disappeared after his meds were adjusted.

And one more horror story: my Grandpa was diagnosed with stomach cancer at age 94. The doc wanted to operate. Grandpa told him No. He died soon after.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:06 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
What's the total cost?

I like the idea of a 1-way tour package with that in mind. Basically, you just put it on your VISA, go to the airport, and the rest of the trip is planned out.

I wouldn't mind seeing a decent concert and having a nice meal on the way.
.around $8000 just to the “Dignitas”- or more if you want them to bury you- you have to get there- with a good and advance planning- one can buy air for around $600-700+a couple of nights at the hotel? meals? chocolate? sightseeing?
Allegedly, they may wave the fees in certain cases
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dign...s_and_finances
If you frugal and plan well- could be done for $1000 for tickets and hotel?
Or you can really take all your money with you and blow it there...
I think in the US the costs of euthanasia drugs for people can vary from $3000 to $20000

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-01-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-01-2019, 03:00 PM

732 posts, read 390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I've had breast cancer (2011) and thyroid cancer (2014). If I get cancer again I plan on doing nothing about it. Everyone in my family had long, lingering illnesses before they died. I do not plan on being one of them. Put me in Hospice, drug me up for pain and that's it. I will be 65 in December and I'm still healthy for the most part. I don't want to be a burden to my family.

I'm so sorry. The Cancer Fairy is no joke.

Winding up matters at little cost to others is a tricky situation. In in the final analysis (another Don Ellis song name, like my own moniker here), I suppose that we all die alone.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:04 PM

732 posts, read 390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
.around $8000 just to the “Dignitas”- or more if you want them to bury you- you have to get there- with a good and advance planning- one can buy air for around $600-700+a couple of nights at the hotel? meals? chocolate? sightseeing?
Allegedly, they may wave the fees in certain cases
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dign...s_and_finances
If you frugal and plan well- could be done for $1000 for tickets and hotel?
Or you can really take all your money with you and blow it there...
I think in the US the costs of euthanasia drugs for people can vary from $3000 to $20000

There's definitely a business concept here.

Thank you for the link to the organization, it make sense to use a Roman virtue as a name.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:09 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Yes, thank you to all who posted information and data on assisted suicide. This is valuable.

Also, I'd like to share a recent experience with readers. We decided to give an independent/assisted living place a try in a location near relatives but not near where we live at the moment. They offer what they call "short stays" of a week, a month, or other, for varying reasons. One, obviously is so that a patient who has been living at relatives' home can stay there for a short time and give the caregivers a break. Our stay was 2 weeks, to find out if we liked that way of life.

During the stay, we found the other residents very friendly, and we noticed that many of the couples who were there had chosen that way of life precisely for the reasons stated above by a couple of posters: "I'm ok now but what if I get terminally ill or die before my spouse, who obviously can't take care of him/herself." Or one of the spouses had a disability which made living at home physically not feasible. Of course, many of the "inmates" were single people who, instead of living alone and lonely, decided to live there in order to interact with people - at mealtimes at least - and thus keep their sanity. This was a place where people had their own apartment, some quite tiny, some as much as 1,000 sq. feet, and all three meals were supplied in the dining room. Transportation was available for needs, and planned activities were available.

In the end, although we are in the upper bracket of age (81 and 89), we decided that this was not for us, for reasons decidedly personal and which had no bearing on whether we liked the place. But if either of us were on our own, I'd do it in a heartbeat, mainly for the social interaction. I think it's a shame more places do not offer this "short stay" option, because there is general curiosity about living this style of life. I'm glad we did this, and we found out it's not the warehouse people might think it is. Residents were going out to the mall, going to concerts, having their children in for a meal, going to church, and in general carrying on just as they did previously at home, only no meals to fix (unless you wanted to in your tiny kitchen), and free laundry and housekeeping services.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:44 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
The short stay option sounds perfect.

When we were looking for a relative, we found that assisted living offered mighty little assistance other than meals and weekly housekeeping. If you needed assistance with personal cares, or med management, that was extra.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:41 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,032,631 times
The people I see going happily into assisted living are wives who need help caring for their husbands, it removes that burden from their shoulders and allows them to live their lives more, no cooking or cleaning. It helps that these couples have money to make this choice.

Dementia scares me more than physical disability, not being able to choose when to die. Luckily my family doesn't live to 90's (odd that's a good thing). So carpe diem, every day.

Being a couple is a two-edged sword. You've got back-up but also someone to be worried about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement