Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 11:05 AM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Oh my Christ, there is so much wrong with this post it's making my head spin.

Eight months is "no big deal"? Are you nuts? Most estates can avoid probate with a trust. It's just that simple. Put your home in a trust, put everything else in a pour over will.

Am I speaking Chinese?
I agree that assets placed in a trust can avoid probate. What do you do with clothing, furniture, lawsuits etc? It seems to me that you can not get all of your assets into a trust so it is likely that you will have some type of probate. For one notice to creditors and paying utility bills etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 11:08 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I agree that assets placed in a trust can avoid probate. What do you do with clothing, furniture, lawsuits etc? It seems to me that you can not get all of your assets into a trust so it is likely that you will have some type of probate. For one notice to creditors and paying utility bills etc.
Personal effects of ours will go to who ever wanted them ...we made a list of what our kids wanted and those items will go to them , they will just have to take them ..they certainly will not be something we would probate

Old 09-01-2019, 11:31 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,424,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
In SC, probate takes over a year and generally you need a lawyer to handle it. My estate is not complex. I wish the lions share (including any property I own such as my house, car, etc.) to go to my son. He will also get the lion's share of the rest (investments, cash, etc.) with a small piece of this going to a niece.

I believe there are ways to avoid probate. I will soon be visiting my lawyer to discuss this but I wanted a head start so I can be familiar with the procedure. I presently have a will but I will be eliminating one person.

Please explain, in layman's terms, how to go about this.

Thanks
There are several ways

1. A trust.

2. Joint tenancy, this has it's own issues most importantly having to pay a gift tax and your son losing the step up value when he inherits the property. There are other issues as well.

3. Payable on death can be done for bank accounts and this money avoids probate

4. Transfer on death for stocks and bonds but NOT real estate property or vehicles

5. If value of estate is less than $25K you can do a simplified probate

Your best option is the trust perhaps combined with a Payable on death for your niece if it is a set amount of money you wish to give her. If it is a percentage then keep it all to a trust.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:34 AM

601 posts, read 458,147 times
Quote:
Oh my Christ, there is so much wrong with this post it's making my head spin.

Eight months is "no big deal"? Are you nuts? Most estates can avoid probate with a trust. It's just that simple. Put your home in a trust, put everything else in a pour over will.

Am I speaking Chinese?
Well, in my uncle's case, probate has involved me going to the probate court twice, for about a half hour each time. Then I sent in a two-page inventory document. To close the estate, I guess there will be another form I'll have to mail in, and that will be it. Not exactly a nightmarish bureaucratic process.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
. Frankly it makes me cringe.
So does some of these people's estate plans

Old 09-01-2019, 12:06 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
. What do you do with clothing, furniture, lawsuits etc? It seems to me that you can not get all of your assets into a trust so it is likely that you will have some type of probate. .
Umm, pour over will ??

Probate? Likely? Glad you're not my attorney.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:08 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
Don't you just miss the days of the common law, private property with curtesy and dower and no greedy lawyers to take a cut via probate.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:04 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times
Quote:
Umm, pour over will ??

Probate? Likely? Glad you're not my attorney.
Yes a pour over provision in the will can move what ever is in your estate to the trust AFTER your death. But doesn't the will still have to be probated if the estate's size does not meet the exemption status?

My point is not ever assets will be in the trust BEFORE you die so it is possible that you still have to go through probate for the non trust and non TOD or POD or joint assets.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I go easy on calling God or Christ that often. I’m not even that religious but I think it’s unnecessary. Frankly it makes me cringe.
I appreciate what you said.
I am religious. #4 of the 10 says don’t take the Lords name in vain. Save it important situations

Old 09-01-2019, 01:54 PM

813 posts, read 401,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
In some states like Texas only the smallest estates (<50K) can avoid probate... and most counties require a Bar approves attorney to file probate.
Are you saying that if someone had $500K in a brokerage account that had POD/TOD beneficiary and no other assets that probate is still required in Texas?

Last edited by Rastafellow; 09-01-2019 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: change wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement