Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 01:57 PM

21,716 posts, read 12,777,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
And most if not all coastal houses are elevated above the surge level, right?
I wouldn't say that, by any means. Maybe most newer houses. And it's not just coastal flooding; there's also inland (from rivers, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 02:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I have no idea why anyone would want to live in hurricane country.

Says me, living in volcano country.
125 million of us on the East Coast of the US not to mention the rest of the world.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:32 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That's just one of the reasons why we're moving to Door County (Wisconsin). They have had a very nasty tornado and one devastating fire (in 1876), but that's about it for natural disasters.

The following disaster map is interesting.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/d...Map/Dashboard1
You'll have eight good months of winter there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I would probably be fine with the culture, but that humidity thing would be a bummer.

Some friends of mine have a couple of beach houses in Florida. While out of town at their primary house elsewhere, the A/C broke. The neighbors mentioned it a month or two later.

The result was having to re-drywall, etc. a cheaply built home. No thanks.

OTOH, I can see the joy of a beach. It would be interesting to either have a valueless home (ie. a trailer) or a completely bulletproof one (flood-proof, hurricane-proof, watch the storm with a drink in hand and the generator humming).
That has nothing to do with how expensive or cheap a home is. My girlfriend had it happen to her in a five million dollar home that lost the AC when she went to Europe for a month.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:36 PM

14,729 posts, read 9,679,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
If an innocent teen being gunned down by George z didn't make ya reconsider retiring there...then by golly you are ripe to be a resident. No sensible person would wish to live where it's a free for all on killings. Florida has some real wIng dinger laws.
That enough is reason to reside elsewhere.
Thank you for not living here.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:50 PM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Yeah, I don't get it either. They have always been in the cross hairs of hurricanes for my entire half century life. What does this latest one have to do with it? Hurricanes are even becoming less frequent in Florida. In fact down 50% over the last 150 years. This is the longest stretch of ten years since a hurricane has even hit Florida. If anything it seems considerably safer now. Unfortunately this might be a case of believing hype over reality.
Didn't you see in their post that the Hurricanes are all due to Climate Change in the last 20 years.

Couldn't be that there is 10 times the population in these states and the damage is shown on TV 24/7.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:16 PM

23,077 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Didn't you see in their post that the Hurricanes are all due to Climate Change in the last 20 years.
That's not what the OP wrote. Hurricanes have always occurred when oceanic/atmospheric conditions were right and they always will while oceans exist. What the OP actually surmised was that climate change probably influences them, not that it causes them! Oh, don't forget to add ocean warming/expansion, glacial and polar ice melt, and resulting sea level rise into the mix! Coastal FL and much of the Eastern seaboard will still be in the crosshairs; the impacts are less melodramatic.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:40 PM

13,273 posts, read 8,392,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Thanks for your nonsensical social/political commentary. I am sure it's useful and relevant in our conversation about hurricanes.
Why I am much obliged to enlighten ya. . Thank ya kindly for being such a delight. Bless your heart

Old 09-03-2019, 04:15 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
Why I am much obliged to enlighten ya. . Thank ya kindly for being such a delight. Bless your heart
And thank you again for your questionable contributions to the topic in attempting to divert it, taking it off-topic into something divisive and political, which would probably have resulted in the thread being locked. Certainly a generous service to the OP and the good people of this forum. And from the number of positive feedback I received, my previous comments to you were indeed met with delight. And you? Not so much.

Clicking on ignore now.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 PM

14,888 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
If an innocent teen being gunned down by George z didn't make ya reconsider retiring there...then by golly you are ripe to be a resident. No sensible person would wish to live where it's a free for all on killings. Florida has some real wIng dinger laws.
That enough is reason to reside elsewhere.
And just this post alone makes me almost giddy with joy at the thought YOU won't be living in Florida.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:08 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,913,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You'll have eight good months of winter there.

Now that is just ridiculous. What they'll have is 12 months of beauty in Door County Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement