Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 02:58 AM

224 posts, read 228,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That's just one of the reasons why we're moving to Door County (Wisconsin). They have had a very nasty tornado and one devastating fire (in 1876), but that's about it for natural disasters.

The following disaster map is interesting.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/d...Map/Dashboard1
Funny how they have Palm Beach County, Florida (dark blue county near the southern tip of the peninsula) as "very low" risk while being surrounded by "very high" risk counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 04:49 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And just this post alone makes me almost giddy with joy at the thought YOU won't be living in Florida.

The guy you are responding to, "Nov3" user name, just sent me an insulting DM. Can you believe that? LOL Sending a direct message to my account. Stalker material.
Lots of us told him off. I laughed in my cereal bowl at how strange it was, did you get the same?

Old 09-04-2019, 05:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
If I lived in florida or any of the hurricane states, I would live in a reinforced concrete Dome house, sitting on telephone poles 12 feet above the ground with 1/4 inch steel shutters.
Don't forget your generator. It will get mighty hot without electricity for up to a week or more....

Old 09-04-2019, 05:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Ahh... you want San Francisco. Weather is at the beginning of the 11:00 news since its always exactly the same. May daughter lived there and simply can’t remember when anything happened because coming from the east, we tend to peg events to the seasons. There are none in SF or Berkeley(which is where she actually lived.

^^That^^! When I lived in NY and NC, it was easier to remember events that happened because of the change of seasons. You may not remember the exact date but you will remember it was winter, or it was spring because the flowers were just blooming. That's much harder to do when the only seasons you have are summer, less summer, hurricane and snowbird.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:43 AM

898 posts, read 597,716 times
I'm in the midst of pre-move planning to relocate to Florida. Inlaws need "adult supervision". If they did what they were supposed to do, and not be stubborn, they left their South Daytona trailer home and are hanging out at a shelter until the hurricane passes. Employment is difficult up here in the northeast once you pass 50, and hopefully I have better luck down south.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:47 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You'll have eight good months of winter there.
Actually, Door County has only about four months of winter, according to the following:

https://www.wisconline.com/counties/door/climate.html

If anyone has lived there year-round for more than a couple of years and can tell me otherwise, I'm "all ears", lol. Anyway, even if there is more than four months, I would like that better than Alabama or Phoenix type of weather! Again, as has been said over and over again and is SO true, people certainly do like different environments, weather and otherwise!

(Of course, winter can be defined differently, according to preferences, I think. My definition of winter is many consecutive days in which the daily high is not above freezing.)

Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
My definition of winter is many consecutive days in which the daily high is not above freezing.)
My definition is any time when I have to run the wood stove equal to or more than every other day.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:32 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You mean he'd try to sell his vulnerable little patch of sand, right? Why anyone would build a house on a barrier island is another head scratcher.
Many years ago, I worked in the tire and auto service business in Vero Beach. I used to think it was funny when someone would call up and start the conversation with "This is Bob Jones over in Riomar or John's Island or just 'on the beach'. I want to get my oil changed". They had to let you know that they lived in one of the high $ areas on the barrier island.

Can't say that I remember anyone saying "This is Bill Smith on 33rd avenue".

Old 09-04-2019, 07:54 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,032,631 times
I've lived in Florida growing up and in retirement, 2/3rds of my life on SE and SW FL coasts.
We're selling this year and moving to NC to be near family.
At retirement (we were in mid-Atlantic) we looked at the entire US to decide where to retire and SW Florida fit us and did well for the last 20 years.

We will have no trouble selling our home built above flood stage. People can't wait to move to Florida, it's their dream.

Hurricane Dorian affected family in SE Florida and South Carolina coasts by being on alert to evacuate.
Family in Texas has been affected by hurricanes and tropical storms in past years.
Hurricanes affect a lot of US states but Florida has a huge coastline with a lot of people (who are related to more people) so it makes more headlines.

Few people dream of retiring to Oklahoma or Nebraska or other states without hurricane potential.
Go ahead and stay where you are, Florida will be fine without you.

The National Flood Insurance program is being reformed to require higher floor levels and higher insurance rates for coastal homes. People cannot renovate older homes (add additional space for example) if it's below flood grade. I think allowing mobile RV's (not mobile homes haha) to stay on flood prone beachfront lots makes sense, as long as they are removed August 1st (hurricane season start).

The guy who said he'd walk away and sell his lot if a hurricane knocked his home down was talking sense. 90% of his value is in the lot and yes someone will buy it and build a new higher, stronger home. However most of the older homes are concrete block and they don't blow away, just the roof and everything inside (drywall etc).

Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Don't judge a hurricane or tropical storm by the state you live in. I'm currently in the middle of Dorian, which luckily the brunt of it is offshore, and I've never felt this well informed or this well taken care of. Florida knows how to do hurricanes. With all the hoopla on weather channel, I'd equate this to a New England nor'Easter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement