Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 04:26 PM

14,950 posts, read 9,787,725 times

Advertisements

I'm in east Tennessee and Florida ... how soon we forget about the devastating fires and loss of life.

Being rural, my greatest concern is fire. In Florida I have a 1/2 acre pond beside my home so I have a continual water source, in TN I'm on the ridge with lots of fuel on the ground... and no where to go. In addition, it's a log cabin with a huge deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 PM

60 posts, read 41,675 times
Retired in Michigan.

Loving EastTennessee!

Old 09-04-2019, 04:41 PM

1,405 posts, read 747,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list.
That's all right, we're pretty much full anyway.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:34 PM

224 posts, read 228,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
+1

Every time one of these threads is created, people come out of the woodwork to bash Florida. And they always describe "Florida" as if it is a single location such as a small town somewhere rather than a diverse area that is over 800 miles long from tip to tip. Just think about that for a moment. The distance from Key West to Pensacola is roughly the same as Savanah, Georgia, to Manhattan. Would anyone in his or her right mind describe someone or some place in Georgia as being exactly the same as Virginia, Maryland or PA? If someone in South Carolina or North Carolina does something stupid, should we start referring to such people as East Coast Man?
Seeing as 'Florida Man' (and 'Florida Woman') events can happen anywhere between and including Key West and Pensacola, there does seem to be some sort of connection, even if spanning 800 miles. It's almost become a badge of honor to say I'm a native Floridian...because it means I've lived among 'Florida Men' and 'Florida Women' my entire life and have thus far managed to live to tell about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
Tampa's summer humidity is enough to wish for a Hurricane to come though. It's no wonder it's home to so many nudist resorts. Wearing clothes in 90s heat/humidity sucks. The East coast is much more pleasant, but yeah, that can come at a cost.
I've lived in both (moreso the east coast), now settled into the Tampa area, and I haven't found it to be any more or less (un)pleasant than the east coast...That could also be because I don't have a thick "insulation blanket" like so many others here. Having to layer up in the office environment does suck though when the A/C's set to "meat locker" every day while most others are still complaining that they're too hot.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:46 PM

224 posts, read 228,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Many years ago, I worked in the tire and auto service business in Vero Beach. I used to think it was funny when someone would call up and start the conversation with "This is Bob Jones over in Riomar or John's Island or just 'on the beach'. I want to get my oil changed". They had to let you know that they lived in one of the high $ areas on the barrier island.

Can't say that I remember anyone saying "This is Bill Smith on 33rd avenue".
My favorite while working in boating retail from retirees:

"I'm on a fixed income."

"Ok...Would you rather make waves or, uhh...eat?"

Old 09-04-2019, 07:08 PM

14,925 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Garden of Eden wasn't a ski resort..... just sayin'

lol
Maybe not, but I'd think it was in a place where the climate was a bit more moderate than sunny Florida. I didn't think apples grew well in a tropical climate.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:22 PM

408 posts, read 259,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Anyway, try Nevada, Arizona, inland Texas, Tennessee, Oregon, Wyoming, to name a few mass areas without local specification, personal experience, and real knowledge on the ground and at sea.
No, not Wyoming. Yellowstone is going to blow up within 250,000 years. That may be worse than a hurricane.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:53 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
Tampa's summer humidity is enough to wish for a Hurricane to come though. It's no wonder it's home to so many nudist resorts. Wearing clothes in 90s heat/humidity sucks. The East coast is much more pleasant, but yeah, that can come at a cost.
Been there, done that.

It IS "freeing" to divest oneself of clothing in warmer weather.

I sweat in clothes in heat, they get damp and soggy wet.
But no clothing? I hardly sweat at all.

We actually have thought about having a hone in a nudist community, but didnt lije tge only available units at the nicest resirt we stayed at.

Oh, and yes, you need to dress for dinner, and carry a towel with you to sit on, cleanliness you know.

OP, if you wipe Florida off your retirement map, wipe off Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, new New Jersey, New York , even new England. Especially the coastal areas. All have, at one time or another been hit by a hurricane landfall.

I was in new England, when hurricane Bob came through. We went to bed it was to landfall at N Carolina's North side. Woje in the morning and it was almost upon us. They were shutting off the power at a certain wind speed, and they did. I really didn't have tine to go "home" to upstate NY, as a major bridge id have to cross was closed too. The power went off early.
Had no chouce but to wait through it. Took about 4 days before main business roads were cleared. Then life started to get back to normal. It was only a cat 2, too. But enough havoc to cause major trouble trouble.

So any eastern atlantic or gulf bordering stare is out then, for you.
Better hole up in Indiana or Ohio. Oh wait they get cold and possible " snowmaggedon" as we call snowfalls from Nor'Easters here in NY. ( 20" or more in a day).

Best of luck picking one's location for happy retirement.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:09 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
I've lived in both (moreso the east coast), now settled into the Tampa area, and I haven't found it to be any more or less (un)pleasant than the east coast...That could also be because I don't have a thick "insulation blanket" like so many others here. Having to layer up in the office environment does suck though when the A/C's set to "meat locker" every day while most others are still complaining that they're too hot.[/QUOTE

Same thing in California, even on a cold day in the middle of winter air conditioners are going full blast everywhere.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:15 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Garden of Eden wasn't a ski resort..... just sayin'

lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Maybe not, but I'd think it was in a place where the climate was a bit more moderate than sunny Florida. I didn't think apples grew well in a tropical climate.
You won't find an abundance of apples in Florida. But then again, you won't find any mention of apples in the Garden of Eden either. Look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement