Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:31 AM

705 posts, read 562,192 times

Advertisements

The old cliché about inner beauty is truly what I've always looked at in everyone. My husband (TW) and I knew each other for about a year when we actually started dating. His friend introduced us to each other. I had been in a really bad 1st marriage that was extremely abusive and I wasn't interested in dating again. Needless to say my ex did quite a number on me.

TW and I became friends 1st and I saw what a wonderful human being he is. He helped me heal by showing me without even trying that not all men were like my ex.

TW's parents came here from Ireland. He's 5'8, around 190 lbs which he carries well. He has a little tummy which is okay with me. At 68 years old his hair is now salt and pepper which has thinned quite a bit on top. He has a neatly trimmed beard that is mostly white. To me he's the most handsome man in the world and I wouldn't care if he lost all his hair, gained weight or lost all his teeth, I'd still love him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 10:09 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
To me he's the most handsome man in the world and I wouldn't care if he lost all his hair, gained weight or lost all his teeth, I'd still love him.
That's because you fell in love with him and share a loving history as well. I feel the same way about my guy. But no one goes looking for toothless and completely bald.

If I was single, I'd be looking for a good attitude. I wouldn't be interested in someone with a curmudgeonly old man mindset. Weight counts because fat is unhealthy and I wouldn't want to end up his nurse down the road. I'd gladly tend to my own husband because we have a 47 year history of give & take but not in a new relationship. As far as looks go, if he's bald then be proud. No toupee. Also his politics would have to align with mine.

I have a single widowed friend who has lost two boyfriends to Alzheimer's. When they got sick, their families came forward to take care of them. She wasn't looking to get saddled that way.

Heartless as it sounds, these are my years now. Dinner, a beach walk, laughs... fine. Being there for someone during temporary sickness, sure. But otherwise I'm planning on remaining single if my husband goes first.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:21 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
My ideal "type" in a 60-plus man looks-wise would be someone along the lines of Harrison Ford or Hugh Laurie or Ohio governor John Kasich: slightly scruffy but not sloppy, with an engaging smile, a forthright but never rude manner, and a subtle sense of humor. Someone who likes vulgar or slapstick humor is a huge turnoff. A smoker would be a total non-starter (I am one of those who feels like gagging if I walk past someone who gives off even a whiff of nicotine) as would anyone who indulges in more than the occasional social-occasion drink (a non-drinker, even better.) A body-builder physique is unnecessary but obesity would be a no-no (being honest here.) Add 100 points for a British or Scottish accent, lol, and 200 points if he sounds like Tom Ellis. ;-)

Old 08-11-2018, 10:28 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
That's because you fell in love with him and share a loving history as well. I feel the same way about my guy. But no one goes looking for toothless and completely bald.

If I was single, I'd be looking for a good attitude. I wouldn't be interested in someone with a curmudgeonly old man mindset. Weight counts because fat is unhealthy and I wouldn't want to end up his nurse down the road. I'd gladly tend to my own husband because we have a 47 year history of give & take but not in a new relationship. As far as looks go, if he's bald then be proud. No toupee. Also his politics would have to align with mine.

I have a single widowed friend who has lost two boyfriends to Alzheimer's. When they got sick, their families came forward to take care of them. She wasn't looking to get saddled that way.

Heartless as it sounds, these are my years now. Dinner, a beach walk, laughs... fine. Being there for someone during temporary sickness, sure. But otherwise I'm planning on remaining single if my husband goes first.
This matches how I feel, assuming the last paragraph is intended for a new boyfriend, not the husband you/I already committed to.

Then again, you really don’t know for sure until faced with the actual situation.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:33 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
These are mature valuable posts- men on the look who are older like me should read these posts carefully -
I see guys at dances that ignore these must lists
They want it on their own terms
Nothing but trouble in their future
Older women have a low tolerance for baloney -
They are however realists and do not have the impossible expectation of a young woman
But they will not tolerate a rude ignorant slob -
And too many of these men have deal out 40 years of baloney
Signed
A very happily mated older man

Old 08-11-2018, 11:46 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Most appealing would be a man who is interesting to talk to and can think of interesting things to do. He wants to take car trips on the spur of the moment (or with a little planning) to explore and find places of interest. Maybe he wants to drive out into the country and find a really good farm stand. Or maybe he wants to drive along the river and find a great place to have a picnic. He could be interested in trying to find some place he was reading about--maybe it's a site where a long forgotten Revolutionary War battle occurred. It could be a place to pick wild blueberries or it could be some famous diner that he's heard about.

So I don't want him to be boring. He would be resourceful.

Not overweight, as that is not healthy. Not a smoker--it's unhealthy and I can't stand the smell. Doesn't eat a lot of junk food.

Good natured, not grouchy. Works as part of a team and doesn't expect me to do all the traditional "woman" jobs. Humble, not a braggart. I do not care about money or cars; I care about what's inside.

If we become a couple, then he's got to be loyal. I've had enough of the cheating, lying, sneaking. Be an honest, down to earth, nice person.

I pretty much found that man ten years ago after a painful divorce. This guy shares some of my interests but he's a car and airplane fanatic. That's okay with me. I like art museums and he doesn't. But there are enough interests that overlap that we can take day trips or big trips and find tons of stuff to do together. We like to tour historic homes, like to tour great gardens, both love animals. He is so loyal that he even calls if he's at the grocery store just to tell me that he'll be on his way home soon and to ask if I want anything. It's sweet and considerate.

The fact that he comes from the north of England just like my dad's side of the family, seems to help a lot. I just didn't "get" American men, I guess. Too many were materialistic and didn't like the same things I do. There's something familiar about the sense of humor too. I knew I was in love ten years ago in England when we climbed a hill near his hometown, literally got blown over by the wind up there, and we instinctively reached for each other as we fell down laughing. I said, "How are we going to get down the hill?" He said, "We'll ROLL DOWN!" And we did, laughing fools, right down to the parking lot. And we didn't care that people were staring.

So this turned out to be a bit lengthy but maybe what I'm saying is that we're on the same wavelength! He's interesting! He's fun!

Old 08-11-2018, 11:54 AM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Physical: no pony tails or nasty ungroomed beards.

Personality: a sense of humor & a love of nature.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:09 PM

555 posts, read 595,551 times
Non-smoker
Honest
Ability to take care of himself (do his own laundry, some house cleaning, basic cooking skills)
MUST love cats and dogs!!!
No shaved head
Relatively healthy and a healthy weight (a little overweight is fine; obese is not)

Old 08-11-2018, 12:23 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
No ponytails.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:34 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
When I started dating again, I met a pleasant, sweet-natured man who, unfortunately, was in early ill health due to not taking care of himself (not taking his medicine, not watching his diet, etc.). Within a few months, his health went downhill quickly.

As much as I liked him (I can't say I loved him) and he absolutely adored me, I was simply in no shape to take on the care of an invalid. I was just getting myself mentally in shape, going back to work, etc. I had a bail out of the relationship and turn him over to his family. I felt somewhat bad about it, but I had to take care of myself.

If my husband had survived his heart attack and had been a bed-ridden invalid, I would have carried him on my back for the rest of his life and I would have done it willingly. It was my duty. I stood up in front of God and vowed "in sickness and in health" and I meant my vows. He would have done it for me.

So, when I moved on and started the dating game again, I was looking for a man who took care of his health. I know that medical disasters can strike without warning, but someone who takes care of his health has at least a head start in living to a ripe old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement