Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 01:31 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Turns out it was Benadryl. Talked to her this morning and she's doing better. I'm sick and working from home today, took a Benadryl last night, and I was bug-eyed all night.
Usually for me Benadryl has a sleepy effect and I actually use it for that purpose when I'm wide awake and need to sleep, but once in a great while it will have the opposite effect. It's really weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Benadryl is for allergies, not for a cold.
Benadryl is not just for allergies, it's also used as a decongestant. It is often used in cold meds, including Nyquil. Check the label for diphenhydramine, that's the generic name for Benadryl.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Here's a useful chart that explains why some medications should be avoided in the elderly if possible:

https://www.uth.tmc.edu/hgec/GemsAnd...sCriteria.html

For Benadryl (diphenhydramine), the caution reads:

Sedating and strongly anti-cholinergic; promote delirium, falls, urinary retention, dry mouth, constipation; use of diphenhydramine may be appropriate for acute treatment of severe allergic reactions

The warning about Benadryl came out because many people were misusing it as a sleep aid. However, it is safe to use Benadryl infrequently to combat an allergic reaction. Indeed, many people owe their lives to it.

Just don't pop one every night because you can't sleep.
Many OTC sleep aids consist solely of Benadryl (diphenhydramine). Check the label.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:42 PM

325 posts, read 207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Consider finding your grandmother a gerontologist instead of a family practitioner. There really is a difference.

Great suggestion.......biggest problem is they are difficult to find.

I think those who specialize in Geriatrics are around 7,000 last I knew.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 09-04-2019 at 03:01 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 03:32 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Quote:
Here's a useful chart that explains why some medications should be avoided in the elderly if possible:

https://www.uth.tmc.edu/hgec/GemsAnd...sCriteria.html

For Benadryl (diphenhydramine), the caution reads:

Sedating and strongly anti-cholinergic; promote delirium, falls, urinary retention, dry mouth, constipation; use of diphenhydramine may be appropriate for acute treatment of severe allergic reactions

The warning about Benadryl came out because many people were misusing it as a sleep aid. However, it is safe to use Benadryl infrequently to combat an allergic reaction. Indeed, many people owe their lives to it.

Just don't pop one every night because you can't sleep.
Yes, I forgot to say in my post that it was the regular use of anticholinergics that was found to be associated with dementia in seniors. Occasional use may be OK. Just not every night.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:42 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Many OTC sleep aids consist solely of Benadryl (diphenhydramine). Check the label.
Not my point.

People were using it every night to get to sleep, whether they needed it or not. Much the same way I used to take a couple of ibuprofen in the morning, even though I had had no pain yet that day.

I managed to break myself of that habit a couple of months ago. There doesn't seem to be any permanent damage to my kidneys.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:09 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Benadryl is not just for allergies, it's also used as a decongestant. It is often used in cold meds, including Nyquil. Check the label for diphenhydramine, that's the generic name for Benadryl.
I went to a "hemp fest" over in Asheville a couple Saturdays ago and came back with 300mg full spectrum hemp oil extract. I use a ML dropper orally about thirty minutes before bed. That seems to help me sleep better.

She seemed fine when I called yesterday.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:11 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
I have found since I was a young woman that I cannot take the ADULT dosage of any of these OTC products, including Tylenol. They either made me spacey or gave me "agita". It is not because of any other medications I take, then or now, but probably because of my size (5'1" 100 lbs.) If a child's dosage works fine, what is wrong with taking less, or for that matter nothing at all?

Old 09-05-2019, 09:19 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is not a decongestant. It's an antihistamine.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Not my point.

People were using it every night to get to sleep, whether they needed it or not. Much the same way I used to take a couple of ibuprofen in the morning, even though I had had no pain yet that day.

I managed to break myself of that habit a couple of months ago. There doesn't seem to be any permanent damage to my kidneys.
OTC remedies should not be used in that way (daily whether needed or not). Especially NSAIDS. Glad to hear you stopped, and there was no damage.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3158445/

Older adults commonly take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) chronically. Studies of older adults show that chronic NSAID use increases the risk of peptic ulcer disease, acute renal failure, and stroke/myocardial infarction. Moreover, chronic NSAID use can exacerbate a number of chronic diseases including heart failure and hypertension, and can interact with a number of drugs (eg, warfarin, corticosteroids).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement