Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 05:37 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I knew I was better off than some but not as well off as some. The more I read on City Data, the more I realize I am better off than most.
I don't know if I'm better off than most, but I'm certainly smarter than most

(And probably better looking too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I don't know if I'm better off than most, but I'm certainly smarter than most

(And probably better looking too)
Self assessment don’t count, lol.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I knew I was better off than some but not as well off as some. The more I read on City Data, the more I realize I am better off than most.
You should read bogglehead forum, then you feel sorry for yourself.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM

351 posts, read 271,510 times
You shouldn't compare your success to someone's failures. It's unfortunate that a lot of people struggle and everyone is in different situations, but you should just feel blessed and thankful that you're just doing your best.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I work as a part-time wine consultant in a large liquor store, and I am sure that some people feel sorry for me when they see me, a 66-year-old woman, lifting 40-pound cases of wine, but I love my job -- and deposit my checks only about every two months or so after four or five of them accumulate. It is, as I've said before, like being paid to do a hobby I enjoy.
I envy a job like that, I would love to be a wine consultant.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
First thing I was told when I inherited money was ....

Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The rule of thumb is the more money you have the less boasting is necessary, in fact, you want to down play it. Same with everything. It’s all those insecure people who like to boast. You never heard Bill Gates or Warren Buffett say something stupid like that. The crowd I’m playing pickleball with, all claim to drive American car, judging by some of the comments they made, I’m sure they can buy a Maserati or Bulgaria easily.
Wow you have rich friends, I don't know anyone that can buy a country (Bulgaria) easily.

A Maserati is no problem. LOL

Old 09-12-2019, 12:16 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm due to close on a condo this week. I'm buying at around 40% of what I was preapproved for. I'm not home much during the warmer months, have a lot of other hobbies, and finally found a remodeled townhome with garage for below $100k. I don't need a huge or expensive home. It has a lot of stairs, but that's fine by me, and I have a large garage for storage, 2BR/2BA, with a "loft" with a skylight on the top level. It's a good layout for what I want and do.

A high school buddy of mine posted a pic on Facebook of his kid and others bicycling behind my unit tonight. I sent him a message that we're going to be neighbors. He replied and we started talking.

He splits the mortgage on the ~$90k-$100k condo with his mom and girlfriend, and he says they barely make the bills. He runs a couple of pawn shops locally. He has a son that's 11-12, and a girlfriend as well. All together, they're struggling to keep the place paid for and all the other bills paid. The girlfriend has some fairly significant medical issues. He admitted he makes around $25k.

I couldn't believe that. $25k is a $12/hr job. He runs and manages multiple pawn shops. I told the guy he could make better at the local Citi debt collection call center, and at any number of jobs. He says he likes the pawn shop because it's flexible around what his kid does.

This dude is really barely scraping by. He has no slack in his life, and likely no luxuries. Compared to him, I'm doing incredibly well. Compared to most of the people on this board, I'm dirt poor.

In sum, I'm doing better than the vast majority of my peers. Did you, and when did you realize you did better than those of a similar background?
It hit home for me when i made 6 figures my first year out of college with zero student loan debt.

Last edited by C24L; 09-12-2019 at 12:34 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Wow you have rich friends, I don't know anyone that can buy a country (Bulgaria) easily.

A Maserati is no problem. LOL
Some of them are not my friends, just people I met at pickle ball court. But I do have a friend who donated more than a Bugatti to charity, I once knew him as a young nobody, he is now on UK Forbes list of richest people.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:51 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
When I retired at 46, I looked around and saw many of my lifetime acquaintances who were the same age or older still trying to figure it out. Some were bouncing from one minimum wage job to another, or had become content with "disability" payments of $1K/month or so (coupled with various government handouts). Others had spent their adult years working for employers that offered no hope of a retirement income other than SS at 62. One even mentioned going back to school in their 50s, hoping for a better paying career path. Another was back living with his mother in his mid-40s.

Now it's four years later, and they are still doing what they've always done, and telling me how "lucky" I am. My usual reply is that luck had nothing to do with it. If they did what I did, they'd have what I have.
I like that! I'm going to borrow it once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement