Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times

Advertisements

In my computer scientist days the mid 1980s, I gave a talk at a Strategic Defense Initiative conference in Miami. On the way there, a guy on the bus recognized my name and said, "Hey, I liked your article on software-hardware codesign!". Since probably a few hundred people on the planet read the article, that's a pretty limited sort of fame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 AM

325 posts, read 207,721 times
15 minutes of fame.....Don't seek it and try to avoid it.

I think more along the lines of what Oasis singer Noel Gallagher said when someone asked him if he was on Twitter. He replied....... "Nobody needs to know what color socks I'm wearing, I don't need to be on Facebook. I've got six friends and I'm trying to get rid of one of those so I can count them all on one hand." Since he made that comment, I think he has caved, but I haven't.

I was interviewed on TV decades ago when I was a delegate for Alan Keyes when he was running for President. They asked about the role of a delegate.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 09-11-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 11:59 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
I was one of a group of people injured at our place of employment. We were interviewed on TV and for the newspaper. None of us were ever able to work again. Very sad to remember that moment of fame....

Old 09-11-2019, 12:34 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
I got a perfect attendance award in 8th grade, and had my picture in the local paper. It's been down hill since then.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:31 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I learned early on about the dangers of "fame" (whatever that really is). Those who want to make a person famous have their own motives for wanting to do so. Those who are thrust into a spotlight usually find that their wrinkles and zits get far more examination than when they are quietly working outside of it, and that fame quickly becomes its own straitjacket.

I used the name of a deceased friend as a label for a product of mine, partly to avoid the casual connections when a name gets linked and categorized. It made me smile when people called me by his name, both because of the assumption and because it was an unwitting tribute to him. I once turned down an interview with Steve Hartman. I've been around stars and powerful people enough to know the work that goes into living a life burdened with fame.

In younger days, I got repeated standing ovations for my acting in a high school play that was in statewide competition, and another for designing the first lighting use in the new school auditorium. The Firefrorefiddle, Fiend of the Fell moments were enjoyable, but I was more having fun acting and playing with stagecraft than seeking the adulation.

Better to be a puppeteer than a Punch or Judy.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
I've had a few "15 minutes of fame" starting when I was young. I won a number of public speaking contests as a child, our high school had it's own TV studio & TV show on local television & I was interviewed a number of times on various topics and I was a guest speaker at several banquets/events. Those things resulted in being mentioned in several newspaper articles. In high school & college I was quite active in politics and once sat next to Vice President Hubert Humphrey at the head table at a political rally/banquet.

My life was downhill from then. (Sort of kidding, but not really)

Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Game? Not really.

Fourth grade lead role in a musical I didn't really want. But I outsmarted myself. Didn't want to embarrass self at song tryout in front of classmates so picked one with little range. Did embarrass then but got me the lead role I did not want! Learned to think things thru all the way.

Fake news started long ago. Worked in energy where big fires occur. One in 1975 spoiled a recognition luncheon. As the news copters were out in full force. Watched the coverage on TV it was not even close to right.

A work friend moved to DC to work for Senator Benson. He wrote all the key environmental acts. So maybe I'm famous once removed ? No way!

I avoid the lime light so doubt my 15 minutes is ahead of me.
S

Old 09-12-2019, 05:54 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I can't think of anything that would count. DH and I were once the subjects of a non-news piece in a small local newspaper, circulation about 5000, for a hobby of ours.

Oh and there was the time I was asked to be a moderator in an online forum, by people who didn't even know me. Still can't figure that out.

I am very happy to report that there are no identifiable photos of me on the internet, anywhere. I check regularly. Paranoid I guess.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:44 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
In the Home section of a regional newspaper, I and the unique house I designed, was featured one Sunday.
Another time was newspaper and TV but that followed a tragic event so I'd just as soon not count that.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:53 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Something almost nobody knows about me - I was my University's Women's 14-1 Billiards champ and won second in the State. I'm not sure if my parent were proud; they were paying for an English teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement