Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 AM

4,596 posts, read 2,986,126 times

Advertisements

It was an adult-ish rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 11:08 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
My husband surprised everyone at work and retired the moment he qualified, and I am sooo glad he did. We had 10 great years of excellent health and enjoying active retirement. Started slowing down when he was 72 or so, but not too bad until a heart attack at 74. That started the gradual mental and physical decline, so now at age 80 he is "old".

I read here on CD of so many delaying retirement until 68 or 70. If we had done that, we would have missed out on the best part of our retirement. Many friends & acquaintances died between 68-75, and a FEW have been more fortunate and are still quite active at 80.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:13 AM

1,407 posts, read 747,313 times
I feel your pain, OP. I've been to too many funerals the last few years and it seems like most were people younger than me. That is exactly the reason I'm retiring in January at age 63.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:28 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My boss' father used to say "Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes". When I hit 50 I realized that I've already lived more than half my life and it was a sobering thought.

In the last 9 years I have lost my father, stepfather, husband and this past June my mother. When I spoke to my mother's aunt, who is 92, she was telling me how she is the only one left out of all her brothers and sisters (there were 9 of them). She lost her only child from cancer when she was only 40 and her husband died a few years ago. I'm now the oldest of our family members at 64. It can be a depressing thought.
I think 70 for most people is around the cut-off point where things can get dicey. Sure, there are a lot of healthy 70 year olds, but most people go downhill a good bit between 70 and 80. A lot of people begin to downhill in their 60s.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:38 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,109 times
I’m 57 and like you, went breezing through life never really experiencing loss, other than dogs. Then it started with my mom 2 years ago and 3 more have gone since then. No doubt my dad, 2 older dogs and a friend with copd won’t be long.

It’s seriously depressing.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I went through my 20's to my 60's without losing a long time friend but lately something is happening and it is worrisome. Lost my oldest and longest friend three years ago one day before his 70th birthday. Far to young to die of a sudden, unexpected heart attack..

I want to go before my wife because I don't know how I would handle the sadness but then for me to say that seems selfish of me. She went to the paint store today and selected some colors for the condo, what would I do without her?

Sorry for the childish rant but the idea of borrowed time just sort of hit me.
Well, we are supposed to think about this when we study religion and philosophy earlier in life - or when we take drugs (are you experienced?)....etc.....

But you are 100% correct. Knowing it conceptually and knowing it in reality are two different things.

Here is my attitude...in general. In my mid-50's I told my wife "you know, if I die now I have accomplished everything I needed and wanted to". Now it's a decade later. We are both quite healthy but there is no thought of "doing this or doing that", probably because we put more importance on simplicity and nature (which is local - you don't have to spend 100's of gallons of jet fuel to get to nature).....

One reason suicides are so high among the aged is that there is no "death with dignity" in most of the USA. Those who are serious about such things can still go to Switzerland or the like. Few Do.

I think each person does...or does not...get to a point where life is not worth living any longer. Often the end comes soon enough after that (maybe weeks or months). Sometimes it is many years of suffering for both the caregiver and the caretaker.

You should make some plans...at least.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:40 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think 70 for most people is around the cut-off point where things can get dicey. Sure, there are a lot of healthy 70 year olds, but most people go downhill a good bit between 70 and 80. A lot of people begin to downhill in their 60s.
My mom was doing well until she hit 80. Then she was diagnosed with amyloidosis which is what eventually killed her. The doctors gave her two years when she was diagnosed but she lived four years. Unfortunately the disease sapped her strength and she had to get transfusions regularly but she still lived alone until that last week. Most of my family died between 75-80 except my paternal grandfather who made it to just shy of his 97th birthday. He had dementia the last few years however but lived alone till he was around 92.

It's kind of a crap shoot when to take retirement; you want to have some years left to enjoy retirement but you also want to get as much Social Security as possible. Serious Conversation - I'm glad you had those years with your husband to enjoy life before he became ill.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Serious Conversation had a husband? That’s something he has been hiding well from this forum.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:06 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Serious Conversation had a husband? That’s something he has been hiding well from this forum.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post

Where did you read this?
He has talked about his girlfriend in many of his posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement