Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Go to Target!

Ratio is 10 women for every man and they are already shopping for something they don't need!
i made the mistake of wearing a red shirt to target yesterday ..i had so many women come up to me looking for help and asking questions .... if it wasn't for the fact i wasn't looking , i could have struck up a conversation with any of them ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 08:54 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Women my “age” tend to be sedentary and just want to eat. No thanks.
Sometimes, where you live has a lot to do with it. Women your age in Park City, a ski resort town, are into outdoor activities: skiing & snowboarding, of course, but also snowshoeing ski-skating, cross country skiing, skating, snowmobiling, and the like. After the ski resorts close for the season, you'll find them biking, hiking, running, stand-up paddle boarding, horseback riding, jet skiing, etc.

I suspect much of it has to do with a selection bias: people who wish to engage in outdoor activities tend to live in places such as Park City.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Even though I'm a happily married women who doesn't wear a wedding ring
and isn't interested in meeting men. I do meet and happily chat with quite a few obviously ...
THIS sort of situation is one of the bigger appeals to using OLD.
In sales it's called "qualify the prospect"
Quote:
...and who knows.. she may even have a friend that's single.
If they need to creep the produce for a chance that ...

Old 09-20-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I'll play. This picture was taken a week ago Sunday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/y...2-1351201.html

Old 09-20-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
So what does “toxic masculinity,” or “traditional masculinity ideology,” mean? Researchers have defined it, in part, as a set of behaviors and beliefs that include the following:

Suppressing emotions or masking distress

Maintaining an appearance of hardness

Violence as an indicator of power (think: “tough-guy” behavior)

In other words: Toxic masculinity is what can come of teaching boys that they can’t express emotion openly; that they have to be “tough all the time”; that anything other than that makes them “feminine” or weak.
The above says more about the researchers inherent biases than anything else.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
If my spouse died I can't imagine finding another man as right for me as he is so dating would be zero interest.
That reminds me of the old story of a middle aged couple, happily married for 30 years, discussing what they might hypothetically do if one of them unexpectedly died:
Wife: "If I died, would you re-enter the dating pool?"
Husband: "Probably; I'm only 55 years old, and I expect to live another 30+ years."

Wife:"Would you remarry?"
Husband: "Probably, if I found the right person; after all, I'm 55, not 75."

Wife, becoming a bit agitated, then asked "Well, would you have her move into our house?"
Husband, oblivious, replied "Sure. This is a perfectly fine house and I like it."

Wife, becoming quite visibly agitated, asked "Would you give her all my things? My clothing? My new golf clubs???"

Husband, being practical, replied "Nope. She's left-handed."

Old 09-20-2019, 12:35 PM

703 posts, read 612,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 So what does “toxic masculinity,” or “traditional masculinity ideology,” mean? Researchers have defined it, in part, as a set of behaviors and beliefs that include the following:

In other words: Toxic masculinity is what can come of teaching boys that they can’t express emotion openly; that they have to be “tough all the time”; that anything other than that makes them “feminine” or weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The above says more about the researchers inherent biases than anything else.
I can understand #3 above but 1 & 2? Nonsense. Masking distress and controlling one's emotions is the mark of AN ADULT. And thinking one must constantly express emotions or thinking any expression of emotion is always a good in and of itself, or letting everyone know how distressed they are is, itself, toxic behavior.

In effect 1 & 2 above have nothing to do with #3. It is a conflation and that is maybe where you're seeing a anti-male bias

Old 09-20-2019, 03:01 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
So what does “toxic masculinity,” or “traditional masculinity ideology,” mean? Researchers have defined it, in part, as a set of behaviors and beliefs that include the following:

Why wouldn’t we as a country want our boys tough?
Why is it important to wear one’s emotions on the sleeve?
How does it fit with the survival of the fittest and the everyday human struggles in life?
How does a society benefit from enforcing the upbringing of the boys to be emotional?
I would like to know..

To stay on topic: I suggest to older guys to take an advertisement in a local paper(s) for a woman/ women they would like to befriend to go snowmobiling, theatre, church picnics- or shoot pool- whatever!
Arrange to receive it at the post office - request a substantial letter with the description of what that particular woman is looking for in a man- ask for honesty. Be honest- it might work! You may get if not a lover, but a friendly company... they may introduce you to someone. Give life/ love a chance! ( you might be able to weed out wackos- don’t disclose your finances or a lack of relatives- common sense)
Don’t forget to send me a thank you note.

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-20-2019 at 03:13 PM..

Old 09-20-2019, 03:15 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i made the mistake of wearing a red shirt to target yesterday ..i had so many women come up to me looking for help and asking questions .... if it wasn't for the fact i wasn't looking , i could have struck up a conversation with any of them ......
True story... I wore my Real Estate name badge into Macy's one time and walking through the store had several ladies stop me and ask questions thinking I worked there.

I was married at the time. Guess that would work for a single guy.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:17 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Rarely do I meet a woman similar in age I am attracted to, at all.
So I don't try. I don't have much in common with them, except
for cultural type references. Some younger women have retro/older
tastes in music, books, etc. that make easier conversation.
Men always have tons of excuses why they "can't" date women their own age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement