Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 12:20 PM

2,264 posts, read 970,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've always wondered what women from those countries feel about that stereotype?
My wife tells me she doesn't understand why American women seem so hostile towards men and prefer life alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 12:31 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo
Most of the guys my age look like they could be my dad and are one step away from a nursing home. I’m in my 50’s also. Not a large pool to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
sounds like you're basing a relationship on looks.

for me, yea, financial security is essential but I value personality more than looks.

to each their own.

Not necessarily. I prefer younger men because of their mindset and activities. Looks don't hurt, especially when I look a good 15 years younger than I am.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:39 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
My wife tells me she doesn't understand why American women seem so hostile towards men and prefer life alone.
That's another stereotype.

Even so, there are cultural differences between Asian societies and this one. Asian culture emphasizes extended relationships that by definition include various reciprocal obligations. That is the norm, with diversions from it appearing unnatural. American culture, in particular, values independence and autonomy. This is true for both men and women.

Then add in economic changes. Even within a generation, filial obligations are weakening in China. Economic independence in the United States and other countries provides women with more choice. Fewer Japanese women are choosing marriage.

None of this equates to hostility. And it also applies to American men. Most men may well think carefully about taking on potential caregiving obligations later in life with a new relationship. And may well be "hostile" towards what the woman brings to a marriage (those prior family obligations like children from an earlier relationship). Those men don't necessarily prefer life alone. Instead, they simply don't choose the financial obligations, possible emotional complications etc.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:42 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Men like being alone also

Just on my street within three blocks are three 60 and over bachelors. They live alone in their own homes.

Yes they have been married before, have kids etc. But prefer the single carefree life.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:45 PM

2,264 posts, read 970,714 times
Quote:
Men like being alone also

Just on my street within three blocks are three 60 and over bachelors. They live alone in their own homes.

Yes they have been married before, have kids etc. But prefer the single carefree life.
I'd be alone too if I still lived in the U.S.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I'd be alone too if I still lived in the U.S.
I really can't say anything to that -

Old 09-18-2019, 12:57 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
My Dad remarried in his 60s. My truly wonderful stepmother (no sarcasm) made it clear her children (and all those grandchildren) remained her first priority. Some men can't live with that. One friend could not. He wanted a "wife" (and all that implied to him); his hoped for love wanted to babysit and live close to grandchildren. Hard enough for original nuclear families to work out some of these issues.
I'd like to add some respectful comments, and perhaps another perspective.

If said in the spirit that the man is unreasonable, has emotional weakness, is selfish, insecure, etc, I see it this way.

While I was participating in on-line dating, many, many profiles mentioned the same, or nearly the same-

"My kids come first, and always will"

And these same profiles many times mentioned their intention was to marry... I saw this as I would always be, or potentially always be plan 'B', never fully vested in the relationship, especially when times perhaps got a bit rough. Not to seem crass, but in no way could I willfully marry a person who told me upfront, others come before me in marriage/I am less than. It's not about macho masculinity, loss of dominance, or fear, or emotional weakness - It's all about equality and mutual respect. To me this would be a marriage of usefulness of unequals, where I could never trust a person who told me such, always waiting for the shoe to drop. Simply my .02 perspective from a man who understands a mothers love of her children/grand kids, yet also 'gets' the spirit of what you wrote ( I have kids).

Old 09-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
I'd like to add some respectful comments, and perhaps another perspective.

If said in the spirit that the man is unreasonable, has emotional weakness, is selfish, insecure, etc, I see it this way.

While I was participating in on-line dating, many, many profiles mentioned the same, or nearly the same-

"My kids come first, and always will"

And these same profiles many times mentioned their intention was to marry... I saw this as I would always be, or potentially always be plan 'B', never fully vested in the relationship, especially when times perhaps got a bit rough. Not to seem crass, but in no way could I willfully marry a person who told me upfront, others come before me in marriage/I am less than. It's not about macho masculinity, loss of dominance, or fear, or emotional weakness - It's all about equality and mutual respect. To me this would be a marriage of usefulness of unequals, where I could never trust a person who told me such, always waiting for the shoe to drop. Simply my .02 perspective from a man who understands a mothers love of her children/grand kids, yet also 'gets' the spirit of what you wrote ( I have kids).
If that is what these women want when they are on dating sites - why even try to date? Just stay attached to the grandkids. Do those kids say the same - my mom is number one in my life!

Old 09-18-2019, 01:09 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,020 times
Quote:
Men like being alone also... Yes they have been married before, have kids etc. But prefer the single carefree life.
That's me too (53 Y/O)... and I'll add a big HALLELUJAH! Been divorced 6 years, and there is no way I could ever live with anyone again... I have shared my home with a girlfriend post-divorce... But they leave, and are OK with it. Sure, I do enjoy time with them, but I equally enjoy me time to do whatever I like, when I like, or do nothing at all in singleness bliss. I know plenty of other fellas and ladies as well, who are in the same boat and love it.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
If that is what these women want when they are on dating sites - why even try to date?
Most want nothing more than a nice evening out... dinner, drinks, a concert.
And most of those will want that on the first meeting (vs a cup of coffee introduction).

They're like those fancy graphics franchiced service companies...
they get all they can out of you on the first pass 'cause they know they won't get a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement