Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 08:11 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

Last year it snowed on the first day of summer. I've seen it snow on the 4th of July. That's AWESOME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 08:16 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Last year it snowed on the first day of summer. I've seen it snow on the 4th of July. That's AWESOME!
Yes, I've always wanted to wear thermals and a heavy jacket while eating water melon and watching fireworks. Just kidding...

Old 04-18-2020, 12:25 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes, I've always wanted to wear thermals and a heavy jacket while eating water melon and watching fireworks. Just kidding...
More than once when I used to visit this area for the week of July 4, there was snow and we needed parkas to watch the fireworks (in Ouray, some 8,000 feet). Other years, the fireworks were cancelled for drought and dry heat and there was no snow at all on the 14,000 ft. peaks.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:13 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It happened in Nevada City, CA, which is in the Sierra foothills/lower mountains at 2500 ft. elevation. Fourth of July . . . snowed on the parade, literally. I can't remember what year it was as I didn't live there then but I believe it was in the 1980's as I moved there in 1987 and it was still a topic of conversation every summer. It also snowed on Memorial Day in the late '80's. Everyone still talks about it as it isn't a normal occurrence.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:23 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Absolutely beautiful day here with lots of sunshine and high around 60. While out walking, I stopped and chatted with a gentleman on the next street over who was working in his front yard. Come to find out, his wife was born and raised just a few miles from where my wife was in Ohio. When they visit her family, his wife insists that they have lunch at the same local hamburger place that my wife always wants to stop at. Sometimes it is a small world after all.

About 10 days ago I started an order with Bluestone Perennials for some flowers to plant. I hope that they hurry up and ship them because I keep adding to the order. I have now updated it three times to add things. So far I am at:

1 Amy Cotta Rhododendron
1 Delft Lace Astilbe
1 Bicolor Explosion Veronica
1 Fireworks Phlox
1 Amore Rose Bleeding Heart
1 Ruby Mound Cushion Mum
1 Whippoorwill Cushion Mum
1 Jewel Box Cushion Mum

The bleeding heart I'll blame on my wife. She made the comment how her mother always had some bleeding heart plants when she was growing up. So "in for a penny; in for a pound" and I added one to the order. I figured it would be a nice surprise for her.

I just noticed on the weather report that the South is going to be in for another day of thunderstorms/hail/strong tornadoes on Sunday. Pretty much going to be the same areas that got hit on Easter. Those poor people can't catch a break; they have my sympathy

Old 04-18-2020, 11:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Our original plans were to be at my son and family’s home for Easter week, but of course that didn’t happen. Instead my husband and I are spending the afternoon playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and awaiting our Whole Foods delivery - between 3 and 5. Then we will prepare and enjoy a rack of lamb Easter dinner. We are also awaiting a scpye session with family. We sent Easter gifts by way of Amazon, most of which have already been delivered. It is a rainy day here but the flowers need it so it is ok.

Not bored or depressed.
Gamers! We have played every AC since AC1. Some of the best entertainment available. Do you take timed turns? Played Ratchet and Clank? Horizon Zero Dawn? Tomb Raider? Uncharted? Any first person shooters?

We played bridge with friends Sunday. Trusted friends. All four of us are being extremely careful as catching this virus is a death sentence for any one of us.

Not bored or depressed here. Keeping busy. Her in the office doing something. Me tinkering and fixing all those little things I never had time for.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Has anyone actually been tested or know someone who was tested for the virus? Nobody I know or talk to has been tested but around here you have to almost work at getting within six feet of another person (small population state).
Our community - Sun City Summerlin in Las Vegas has had 10 cases so far with three deaths. A friend was diagnosed, but came home after a few days and is under quarantine there. We are hoping that's the end of it as his wife has been visiting their daughter who has six children.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Absolutely beautiful day here with lots of sunshine and high around 60. While out walking, I stopped and chatted with a gentleman on the next street over who was working in his front yard. Come to find out, his wife was born and raised just a few miles from where my wife was in Ohio. When they visit her family, his wife insists that they have lunch at the same local hamburger place that my wife always wants to stop at. Sometimes it is a small world after all.

About 10 days ago I started an order with Bluestone Perennials for some flowers to plant. I hope that they hurry up and ship them because I keep adding to the order. I have now updated it three times to add things. So far I am at:

1 Amy Cotta Rhododendron
1 Delft Lace Astilbe
1 Bicolor Explosion Veronica
1 Fireworks Phlox
1 Amore Rose Bleeding Heart
1 Ruby Mound Cushion Mum
1 Whippoorwill Cushion Mum
1 Jewel Box Cushion Mum

The bleeding heart I'll blame on my wife. She made the comment how her mother always had some bleeding heart plants when she was growing up. So "in for a penny; in for a pound" and I added one to the order. I figured it would be a nice surprise for her.

I just noticed on the weather report that the South is going to be in for another day of thunderstorms/hail/strong tornadoes on Sunday. Pretty much going to be the same areas that got hit on Easter. Those poor people can't catch a break; they have my sympathy
See if you can find Tiny Rubies Dianthus. It's a small, picky plant, but it is beautiful and smells great!

https://www.google.com/search?ei=I-m...sclient=psy-ab

Old 04-19-2020, 08:03 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Gamers! We have played every AC since AC1. Some of the best entertainment available. Do you take timed turns? Played Ratchet and Clank? Horizon Zero Dawn? Tomb Raider? Uncharted? Any first person shooters?

We played bridge with friends Sunday. Trusted friends. All four of us are being extremely careful as catching this virus is a death sentence for any one of us.

Not bored or depressed here. Keeping busy. Her in the office doing something. Me tinkering and fixing all those little things I never had time for.
We never had a game system until we retired. We bought a ps4 and a few games about two years ago. My favorite was Witcher 3. We’ve played some of the ones you mentioned. Really like the building games like Skylines. My husband does the controller, I look up the play throughs, and spot loot, guide him through caves, watch the life line etc. We limit the time, because time passes too fast while gaming, and we have lots of other things to do.

Be careful having others in your home. We do a lot of FaceTime and Zoom with friends and family and have had a few meetings of our various groups that way.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:37 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Our morning and evening dog walks are getting longer and longer. We are discovering more streets and interesting homes, the ones we like most are more like compounds with larger properties and out buildings.

Other walkers keep their distances but most bicyclists pass too close, so when we see a bike coming our way we put the dog on the outside, letting her out on her lead, enforcing the six foot distances. The bikers give dogs a wide berth. We drove over to the paved Venetian/Legacy trail along the Intercoastal to walk for a change and there were too many people. We didn’t stop and drove back home to walk the neighborhoods, where we see few people out and even fewer now that the temp and humidity are increasing.

We stop by the kid’s house once a week, seeing them outside for a 10 minute visit, the grandkids are usually in the pool. We go in the evening so we don’t interrupt their online schooling. FL made the decision this week to cancel school for the rest of the school year. No beaches open here, the county discussed it and decided against any beach openings for now.

DH has been offered contract work after he retires at the end of the month. He’ll be working through a third party company that requires a background security check and a urine drug screening test. There’s a Quest satellite office in the local Walmart where he can get that done next week. There will be no travel involved, it’s strictly work at home. We are rethinking our finances... again.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-19-2020 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement