Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 10:20 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttosta View Post
jean ji, when our county tried closing the parking but leaving the beaches open it was awful. People parked all over the neighborhoods even on peoples lawns. Hope your county does better. Now our beaches are only open in the morning for exercise only, no sitting or sunbathing. That seems to be working.
Same here, walking, swimming, fishing (tackle box, no cooler). No sitting or blankets etc. There are no residential neighborhoods close to our two nearest beaches, the roads have sand shoulders and are narrow. The one beach in town does have nearby residential neighborhoods and sidewalks, that will likely be a big problem. But maybe not, those neighborhoods are used to people parking with all the festivals during season.

Today is a picture perfect day weather-wise, so will be a good test.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-27-2020 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 10:45 AM

492 posts, read 405,466 times
Jean_ji,

Will you adopt me? I LOVE fresh, homemade bread!!!

Old 04-27-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Jean_ji,

Will you adopt me? I LOVE fresh, homemade bread!!!
Gladly!

I used to bake bread years ago and my parents gave me a bread machine as a gift. I didn’t like the process or the bread it made. I felt guilty not using something they were so sure would make me happy and be easier for me. I chose the easy way out and stopped baking any bread. That machine is long gone and sadly Mom and Dad are too. So I’m back to making bread again and really enjoying it. It only took a pandemic.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-27-2020 at 12:30 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 01:23 PM

I, too, have a bread machine, but I've never cared much for the product it produces. MANY years ago, I baked, and had a sister who baked a lot. My favorite memories are of the smell of baking bread.
Maybe today, I'll see if I have the ingredients....

Old 04-28-2020, 01:33 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I’ve been making sourdough bread and using the starter for crumpets and other breads for several weeks now. I have been sharing it all with our son’s family. Yesterday I told them I had made more bread and asked if I’ve overloaded them with it. I like to do a variety of crafts and am always cognizant that others may not appreciate my efforts like I do. They said not at all, they have used it all and it’s better than anything they can get at the store. I dropped some off to them later and they gave us fresh eggs from their hens and hand sanitizer they made with alcohol and aloe juice they harvested from their plants this weekend.

It’s a beautiful day, low humidity and a high of 78. The county opened beaches today, but not the parking lots as the first phase. We’ll see how this works out. Where we lived in NY, 50 miles north of NYC, they have a strict lockdown in place. Yesterday, their community Facebook page was filled with images of cars from the city and NJ parked everywhere and being towed as people are coming there to hike the trails and get outside. The area was inundated with people and the locals were not happy.
You are much more ambitious with your sourdough than I am. My starter is over 30 years old but I just use it to give a sourdough taste to some things. I add some to my batter breads when I make them and also make pancakes, banana bread and date nut bread with it.

Seeing that cinnamon swirl bread does make me think that I may have to expand my repertoire

Old 04-28-2020, 01:49 PM

I posted about the latest recipe I tried in the Food forum today. I finally found what I was looking for in a sourdough bread! A strong flavored sourdough, not just sourdough flavored. I bought sourdough bread many years ago in San Francisco while on a training trip. I’ve never made anything even close to it. The ones I’ve been recently making are good breads, but not the holy grail I’ve been looking for.

It’s a good thing we live near guinea pigs, oops, I mean our son/DIL and grandkids. They get half and more of my baking. My son was a tough food critic when he was growing up. We used to argue over the 1-10 score he would give me. 7’s were as high as he would go. He’s loving all the bread so far, high praise indeed.

I love DH dearly, but he will eat anything and the most criticism in 44 years I have heard from him is “You wouldn’t have to make that again if you don’t want to.” DH is a kind person, where as DS is brutally honest. One has to live with me, the other one doesn’t.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:55 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
My DIL starts her job at the county clerk’s office two weeks from Monday. She liked her job in laundry at the nursing home. It came down to money and not putting her family at risk.

My ex-DIL’a husband is coming over to fix our faucet when gets off of work. He’s my wife’s cousin. I didn’t know that until recently. He was a deviant when he was younger. The navy straightened him up.

Last edited by BJW50; 04-28-2020 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-29-2020, 09:36 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
I, too, have a bread machine, but I've never cared much for the product it produces. MANY years ago, I baked, and had a sister who baked a lot. My favorite memories are of the smell of baking bread.
Maybe today, I'll see if I have the ingredients....

Sometimes when I make bread DH talks about coming home from school to fresh baked bread and butter and how homey the house would smell to him. Brings back good memories of labors of love.

She's long gone but sometimes I think of her raising seven boys on that farm and taking time to plan the bread coming out of the oven just when they came home from school. Probably didn't seem like much to them at the time but for a woman as busy as she was I know that was a special plan.

Today as I came down the stairs I noticed our trees had begun to leaf out. That's a certain shift in weather. Didn't used to happen here until the second week in May.

The lilac leaves are the size of a squirrel's ear. That means the time is right to get out there to the secret spot and start hunting for wild morel mushrooms. So much fun even if you come home empty-handed.

Reminds me of the first time we took our kids. Our son was only about four and we impressed upon him that other people were in the region so it was important not to give away when we found a patch or we'd have company.

Then we spread out and after about ten minutes we heard his excited little voice loud and clear, "I found one!"

We still laugh about that. That's just how exciting it is when we play this treasure hunt game.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:14 AM

"She's long gone but sometimes I think of her raising seven boys on that farm and taking time to plan the bread coming out of the oven just when they came home from school. Probably didn't seem like much to them at the time but for a woman as busy as she was I know that was a special plan."

A Mother's love! That really touched me.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:18 AM

DH received a package containing two lovely bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon from his team members today in honor of his retirement on Friday.

We picked our Medicare supplement plans and Part D and submitted our enrollments forms this morning. After researching that alphabet craziness for way too long, I think we each deserve our own bottle of wine tonight, but we will wait until Friday evening to raise a glass to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement