Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 08:13 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times

Advertisements

Now that's just cool! That's something I could see doing, if I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 08:56 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Now that's just cool! That's something I could see doing, if I lived there.
It's great exercise too. Walking 1-2 miles on sand gives your legs a good work out.
Plus you get first crack at the good shells that washed up.

Last week a dead shark had washed up on the beach. I've just seen some dead jellyfish so far.

Chat Thread II-img_0251.jpeg

Old 05-09-2020, 09:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Washups are fascinating! You can have a nearly empty beach one day, and next morning there are thousands of one kind of jelly lying on the sand, for miles. It almost feels like something landed from outer space.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:15 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's great exercise too. Walking 1-2 miles on sand gives your legs a good work out.
I only walk 5 miles a day in the mountains at 7,000 to 10,000 feet. Sometimes I'll see a deer partially consumed by coyotes or a mountain lion. Not the same I know.

Saw a mama bear and her cubs this morning. I kept my distance and slowly backed away.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:37 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Turtle patrol is something I want to do, as do many others, so there is a waiting list.

Yesterday I was out with the dog while DH was making dinner. We were out near a saw palmetto where I had been pulling air potato vines the day before. The dog and I heard a rustling sound, followed by a long buzzing sound that ended with a flourish that made the dog jump back. I never saw it, but believe we had a close encounter with a dusky Pygmy rattle Snake. I went inside and found some YouTube videos with Pygmy rattlers and heard the same buzzing sounds on the videos.

90% of snake bites in FL are from this snake. They are 15 +/- inches long and you have to be really close to hear their “buzzing rattler sound”. Their venom isn’t much since they are a small snake, but still hurts and requires a hospital visit. I was back out this morning digging air potato vines out from around another saw palmetto. If I hear that buzzing sound again, I’m not going to stand in the same place listening to it. Duh! Live and learn, no matter how old.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I only walk 5 miles a day in the mountains at 7,000 to 10,000 feet. Sometimes I'll see a deer partially consumed by coyotes or a mountain lion. Not the same I know.

Saw a mama bear and her cubs this morning. I kept my distance and slowly backed away.
We went to New Mexico one summer...Red River in August and went hiking. When we saw the deer leg right in the middle of the path I looked around (for bears) and said.."ok, time to start heading back to town" .

Old 05-09-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Turtle patrol is something I want to do, as do many others, so there is a waiting list.

Yesterday I was out with the dog while DH was making dinner. We were out near a saw palmetto where I had been pulling air potato vines the day before. The dog and I heard a rustling g sound, followed by a long buzzing sound that ended with a flourish that made the dog jump back.

I never saw it, but believe we had a close encounter with a dusky Pygmy rattle Snake. 90% of snake bites in FL are from this snake. They are 15 +/- inches long and you have to be really close to hear their “buzzing rattler sound”. Their venom isn’t much since they are a small snake, but still hurts and requires a hospital visit. I was back out this morning digging air potato vines out from around another saw palmetto. If I hear a buzzing sound again, I’m not going to stand in the same place listening to it. Duh! Live and learn, no matter how old.
When I lived in Texas I traipsed all around my property..the woods, around the ponds, etc. in the winter.
But come late spring when the snakes came out of hibernation I cut my wanderings back big time to flat, mowed grass. Rat snakes don't bother me but there were a lot of copperheads as well and I didn't want to take aany chances.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:09 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
When I lived in Texas I traipsed all around my property..the woods, around the ponds, etc. in the winter.
But come late spring when the snakes came out of hibernation I cut my wanderings back big time to flat, mowed grass. Rat snakes don't bother me but there were a lot of copperheads as well and I didn't want to take aany chances.
I found a rat snake curled up inside an empty terra-cotta pot I had outside. I had (past tense!) a flexible water hose stored in there. When I pulled the hose out, I did a double take and saw the snake in there. They are really good snakes to have around and are slow to get riled up enough to strike. I let it leave and put the pot away after it left.

There is a black racer that I see sunning out under another saw palmetto quite often. Two were doing a mating dance around the front water spigot last year. They are around.

I went on an eco-walk earlier this year and the guide pointed out a large Eastern diamondback rattle snake a few feet off the path. Like the Pygmy, they are gray/black and patterned to blend into the leaf litter. It was early morning and cold (for here) and it wasn’t moving, but the sun was getting higher, so we didn’t hang around.

Snakes don’t bother me, but I’d do have respect for them and keep my distance...when I see them. I’ve been pretty casual about pulling vines and being waist deep into heavy brush lately, a reminder was due.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:25 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
Living in VT snakes are not much of an issue. Little green ones in the garden under the black plastic, we scared each other. But once I saw a big brown snake curled up near the foundation and of course I had to get my nose real close to it so I could admire its coloring. Looked it up later, copperhead. Yikes. Never saw one before or since.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:37 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Living in VT snakes are not much of an issue. Little green ones in the garden under the black plastic, we scared each other. But once I saw a big brown snake curled up near the foundation and of course I had to get my nose real close to it so I could admire its coloring. Looked it up later, copperhead. Yikes. Never saw one before or since.
Yikes is right, we have copperheads here in NC. I've never seen one, but my neighbor across the street, years ago living in a different area was bit and was in the hospital!

Found a black snake in my garage a couple years ago, no one was home that I could have come over. Called my Dad 89 at the time and he told me to pick it up and put it in the forest I did, it took a while, they are strong. It was scary, but know I could do it without freaking out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement