U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 11:51 AM

3,043 posts, read 2,069,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Living in VT snakes are not much of an issue. Little green ones in the garden under the black plastic, we scared each other. But once I saw a big brown snake curled up near the foundation and of course I had to get my nose real close to it so I could admire its coloring. Looked it up later, copperhead. Yikes. Never saw one before or since.
In NY, I had a lot of garter snakes, and they can be pretty feisty when disturbed in early spring. I had a baby one stand up on its tail with mouth wide open trying to strike when I uncovered it. Such fierceness in such a little thing! When hiking I was always mindful of where I stepped going over logs or where I put my hands when rock scrambling. There were copperheads and rattlers in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 12:12 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,257,359 times
We had record breaking heat this week, 105. I had a nest, of wrens I think, on my back porch with 3 little week old babies. They all died, from the heat I guess. The parents brought them down from the nest and laid them right outside my back door, one by one over the course of the day. It was very sad to see them. I took them and buried them.

Now I'm hearing one of the birds outside trilling their "I've found a good nesting site, looking for a mate song." I'm wondering if I should throw out their old nest, carefully woven over about 6 weeks, so we don't have a repeat of this disaster. It will soon be very hot for weeks here.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:25 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,088,293 times
My step-son "cooked" dinner tonight, he ordered delivery. My wife went to his house and had a visit from a safe distance. She stood in the driveway and he stood on the porch. He will be going back to work on the 18th. He mentioned that his bedroom feels like a prison.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:15 PM

I watched this video and then checked out the other songs on their you tube channel. A musician Dad, photographer Mom behind the camera and their three home schooled kids, calling themselves The Quarantine Kids.

More here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDA...ckWXBFXkCnWMYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4caS5_5lo

Old 05-11-2020, 09:47 AM

We’ve had this pedal kayak for 5+ years, since moving here, but we never tried the sailing rig until this morning. It was so much fun and getting out of my seat to take the pic and not falling overboard was a bonus.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-11-2020 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 10:34 AM

11,667 posts, read 13,414,955 times
Snowing above me, going to drive up there and play.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:14 PM

16,038 posts, read 18,759,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
We went to New Mexico one summer...Red River in August and went hiking. When we saw the deer leg right in the middle of the path I looked around (for bears) and said.."ok, time to start heading back to town" .
Bigfeet probably left you a present......

Old 05-13-2020, 07:23 PM

16,038 posts, read 18,759,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We’ve had this pedal kayak for 5+ years, since moving here, but we never tried the sailing rig until this morning. It was so much fun and getting out of my seat to take the pic and not falling overboard was a bonus.
They are a whole lot of Fun...

Always wear a Personal Floatation Device (PFD).

Old 05-13-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
They are a whole lot of Fun...

Always wear a Personal Floatation Device (PFD).
We’ve always worn PFD’s, starting from when we were sailing a sunfish together in high school. We’ve owned every style/type made. We finally bought inflatable PFD’s last year, DH is wearing one in the pic. What a difference from the our first kapok ones.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:52 AM

Off to the vet this morning. Our dog is limping, whether from an injury or us walking her too much lately is unknown. We noticed earlier in the week she was stiff and a bit lame after laying down in the evening. Yesterday she was hopping and holding her paw up a few hours after our morning walk and she is the same this morning. It isn’t stopping her from jumping up and limping to the door in hopes of a walk this morning.

The vet’s office is practicing social distancing. We call when we arrive at their parking lot and discuss the problem. They will come out and get her and then talk to us on the phone during their examination of her.

We both had to get lab work yesterday and it was the same routine: they called us when it was our turn while we waited in our car. We’ve gotten used to the new norm of an isolated, limited existence, but going to these appointments makes it clear how everything has changed.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-14-2020 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or