Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 06:32 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Did my usual stint of photography in the cemetery before it got too hot. Went to friend's house, swam in the pool, got some stuff she was getting rid of. More photography in another cemetery in the evening, got that one finished. Finished my library book. What an exciting life.
I am looking forward to having my own "exciting life" when we move to our new rural retirement home!. For myself and my husband, nothing beats a quiet walk in the woods followed by a good home-cooked meal and then a game of Scrabble and a glass of wine or some fresh-baked pie and coffee in from of a wood fire! A close second would be snuggled on the sofa in front of the fire with a new book on a snowy or rainy day!!

And it is so nice you have a creative hobby! I wish that I had one, but I have never developed any, and I have ten thumbs and zero artistic talent. However, we are moving to an official "Bird City", so maybe I will get into that as I enjoy walking so much, anyway, and it is something that seems a natural for retirement. (Much better than just watching the grass grow, right?)!

P.S. In our current suburban neighborhood, I was surprised to see so many large sky fireworks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 06:49 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am looking forward to having my own "exciting life" when we move to our new rural retirement home!. For myself and my husband, nothing beats a quiet walk in the woods followed by a good home-cooked meal and then a game of Scrabble and a glass of wine or some fresh-baked pie and coffee in from of a wood fire! A close second would be snuggled on the sofa in front of the fire with a new book on a snowy or rainy day!!

And it is so nice you have a creative hobby! I wish that I had one, but I have never developed any, and I have ten thumbs and zero artistic talent. However, we are moving to an official "Bird City", so maybe I will get into that as I enjoy walking so much, anyway, and it is something that seems a natural for retirement. (Much better than just watching the grass grow, right?)!

P.S. In our current suburban neighborhood, I was surprised to see so many large sky fireworks!
Learn about the wild life in your new rural area and their seasons.
I had 15 acres of woods myself. In my area I stayed away from the woods during the hot summer months due to rattlesnakes and copperheads. At other times I saw deer, wild turkey, a road runner, plenty of rabbits, a golden eagle, a bobcat (I hightailed it back to the house) and even a pack of feral hogs sleeping in the shade down in a ditch (I backtracked from there as well).

Edit: I found my pic of the wild turkey before he ran off

Chat Thread II-000_0123.jpg

Old 07-05-2020, 08:01 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am looking forward to having my own "exciting life" when we move to our new rural retirement home!. For myself and my husband, nothing beats a quiet walk in the woods followed by a good home-cooked meal and then a game of Scrabble and a glass of wine or some fresh-baked pie and coffee in from of a wood fire!
That sounds wonderful.

I suggest you make that coffee from fresh home-roasted coffee beans. It makes all the difference in the world, and is a great hobby for retirees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN0gmXSnN3o

You can even roast the coffee beans over that wood fire in a skillet - which is how Great Great Grandma used to roast coffee back in the day.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:36 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Did my usual stint of photography in the cemetery before it got too hot. Went to friend's house, swam in the pool, got some stuff she was getting rid of. More photography in another cemetery in the evening, got that one finished. Finished my library book. What an exciting life.
I received a question about my activities. I take photos for the Find A Grave website. I am trying to get the cemeteries in my town 100% photographed, or close to it. It appeals to my organizational side. Fortunately the town historical society has a book listing all burials up to a certain date, that helps.
Also people can request photos and I try to fulfill the requests.

My library is doing pickup only, they have a box outside where they leave the book with your card number on it. The book was "The Guest Room" by Chris Bohjalian, highly recommend. Good read.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:15 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Biscuitmom, how does the doctor get paid? I am going to need refill soon.
Good question. Her office didn't bill me. She picked up my query, called my cell to ask a simple question about the prescription (once or twice a day?), then called it in.
Every once in a great while, our system -against all odds- seem to work. Who knew?

Old 07-08-2020, 02:09 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,801,671 times
My only grandson celebrated his 19th year yesterday. A mature, loving young man with a quirky, sense of humor he inherited from both sides of family! His mom grilled ribs, made baked beans, cornbread,potato salad at his request. She also served strawberry, spinach salad Yummy!

Dessert? His younger sister, who's quite the baker, made, from scratch, a lemon cake, iced with strawberry icing, decorated with lemon slices, strawberries. Took a wee slice of the cake home, to have with hot tea. The cake was dense, like pound cake, Very tasty!

Last edited by sera; 07-08-2020 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Sentence not completed.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:34 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,650,324 times
Ribs, beans, potato salad and corn bread. Add on that really nice sounding cake and I'm happy for sure with a meal like that.

It is hot as heck here today with no air stirring. When I was out walking, one of the neighborhood kids was out shooting hoops by himself. So we played a quick game to five. Final score was 5 to 1 in his favor. Not my day for hoops.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:04 PM

492 posts, read 405,365 times
VTsnowbird - I appreciate the work of Find A Grave. I was surprised several years ago to find relatives' graves photographed. Thank you!

Old 07-09-2020, 11:18 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
I snuck up on this little guy before he realized I was behind him and took off during my morning walk on the beach. I was worried he might turn around and comes towards me with them pinchers...SNIP, SNIP, SNIP !!

Quite a few crabs running in and out of the surf this morning. Schools of tiny fish in the water
And loads of surf fishermen with their rods all set and cast and drinking their morning coffee.

Chat Thread II-img_0304.jpeg

Old 07-09-2020, 01:34 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,650,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I snuck up on this little guy before he realized I was behind him and took off during my morning walk on the beach. I was worried he might turn around and comes towards me with them pinchers...SNIP, SNIP, SNIP !!

Quite a few crabs running in and out of the surf this morning. Schools of tiny fish in the water
And loads of surf fishermen with their rods all set and cast and drinking their morning coffee.

Attachment 221943
The mention of surf fishing brings back memories of many years ago. Nothing more fun during the winter in Florida then running into a big school of bluefish or Spanish mackerel in the surf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement