Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 09:30 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving dinner where I've had it before at Denny's (world's oldest diner?). They serve a decent turkey dinner and pie, etc. I'll be eating alone so will take a book along for company. And hey, you never know there could be other people eating alone in there this year.

Not a big drive from where I live.

Might put a turkey breast in the crockpot for "leftovers." Maybe the cats will enjoy it, too, tho they are not big on people food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Thanksgiving trip going nicely, my Scottie does well on trips and in motels thank goodness. We are now staying with my husbands sister, in her Florida home on a lake in Orlando. SIL and I have been out and about picking new flooring, tile, and paint colors to do a remodel of her house. I am aghast at the traffic. It seems even worse than last year— lots more construction. Friday night we went to a charity event at the Gaylord Palms, only 19 miles from the house, and it took an hour and a half. Orlando has exploded with growth. Not sure that the Loss of Boomers in the coming years will have much effect on housing here.
I have to smile when the people here in Cookeville complain about the traffic. This traffic here is a walk in the park compared to the Orlando area.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:30 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
The forecast here in So Cal is for rain, fog, and snow in higher elevations. As a result, I canceled my Thursday plans with traveling to see relatives. I refuse to drive 100 miles under those circumstances not to mention I have to be at work at 6:00 the next morning.

I bought myself a nice little turkey this morning for under $6. Cooking it will be fun and I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing day with Mrs. Robinson the cat.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I bought a Cornish game hen. I enjoy cooking and will put this one in the crockpot with potatoes and a sweet potato. Might make some dressing, not sure. I found a pumpkin bread pudding recipe years ago and might make that. Cranberries for sure.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I bought a Cornish game hen. I enjoy cooking and will put this one in the crockpot with potatoes and a sweet potato. Might make some dressing, not sure. I found a pumpkin bread pudding recipe years ago and might make that. Cranberries for sure.

Sounds delicious. I have not made a Cornish hen in years. My last recall was in the first few years of marriage. I remember them being called Rock Cornish hens. Very tasty.

I'll have to check out the recipes included with the information on Google.

Probably a better choice than a turkey breast.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:45 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I bought 2 turkeys, one for $6, frozen from Ralph’s, this price after I pay $25. That’s the money for the ham and a few other misc things. Frozen turkey, not so little, goes into the freezer, it’s going to be cooked in January. The fresh, or flash frozen, is much smaller and young Turkey, will be cooked this Thursday, as well as the ham. All this meat for less than 6 people but I get many meals afterwards.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:13 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Supposed to be a major winter storm here. Snowmageddon! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Hope I get a few feet.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:57 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Headed down to Mount Pleasant SC on the coast on Thursday. My priest will be down there with his family, might get together with them at some point over the weekend. Forecast for Thursday is sunny, high 67F, low 44F. Looking forward to a few days near the beach.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Drove to St. George, UT today to look at Murphy beds. So many options, including style of cabinet (We saw probably 20 different styles) stain (100 or so in numerous woods), side cabinets, drawers, side shelves, cabinets, lights, USB, power outlets, spring loaded or piston, and we didn't get into mattresses.

We did get it narrowed down to three styles, and we brought home 15 stain/wood samples.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:36 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I have to smile when the people here in Cookeville complain about the traffic. This traffic here is a walk in the park compared to the Orlando area.
We hear those complaints also in Asheville, some people have never been in bad traffic. We picked our niece up at MCO (airport), last night, and it was a zoo. Police stationed all along, trying to keep cars moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement