Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 11:05 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Years ago I learned to embrace the invasive grass..it was Bermuda. I gave up and just mowed. It took over the entire lawn.
Turned out to be a blessing because it had adapted to the climate. All I had to do was mow and nothing else. And I watched neighbors doing all sorts of things to their lawns and fighting to keep invasives out.

I did the same with roses. Rather then order/buy those pretty hybrids I went "rose rustling". My son was 9-10 at the time and he had a blast as we drove around looking for old rose bushes on abandoned property out in the country.

I ended up with nice hardy, adapted rose bushes that only needed hefty trimming in the winter.
This side of yard is mostly invasives. I’m working on guinea grass that gets six feet tall if let go. DH has been mowing it, I’ve been digging up the outliers, working inward. The yard in the foreground is Florida snow, it is white when in bloom, hence the snow name. It’s will roar back to life when rains begin. The bees and butterflies use it and it doesn’t get high and is incredibly hard to remove, so it stays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 11:10 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Around here, it really looks like spring is trying to burst out. The ground is starting to thaw and the sun is shinning most days, at least part of the day. Still a bit chilly, but snow is now confined to the mountains.

Almost time to get the gardening tools out and get busy in the yard. Still too cold to put the fountain and statues out.
Well, I was sure wrong about that one! We have a state park close by that used to be the second largest boot camp in the world during World War II. After the war, it was turned over to the state and they made a park out of it. Most of it is closed up during the winter and yesterday was the first day that the gates were open for the season and all the roads were open.

Took the pups there to walk through the forest in the morning because I heard it was going to snow in the afternoon. Simply beautiful there. One of those "special" places. Only saw one other couple hiking.

Didn't start snowing until nightfall, and boy, did it let loose. Temperatures dropped. Wind kicked up. One of my neighbors said she and her dog couldn't sleep because of the wind. Rarely do I see snow falling sideways.

The poor pups couldn't get outside this morning because their dog door flap was frozen to the frame. And even if they could open the flap, the drift was too big for them to go out. At 10:00 this morning, the temperatures are still well in the teens, about thirty degrees below normal. It's still blowing crazy.

Guess spring isn't on the way after all.

- - -

attached picture was taken yesterday on one of the trails
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread II-img_2142a.jpg  

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-14-2020, 02:59 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Rainy day here and will be for the next several days. But at least it is pleasant temperature wise. Starting to think about what vegetables I will plant in my small raised bed next month.

Went out to CVS earlier today to pick up a couple of things. People still going nuts over toilet paper. Clerk said she never dreamed she would see anything like this. I just went by for same large adhesive pads for my wife's arm wound and even the band aids were pretty well picked over. This is going to be an interesting next month or so.

Next door neighbors stopped by to see if there was anything we needed them to go out and get for us. They are really nice people; they came here from China several years ago. They have three girls and one of the younger girls brought some flowers she picked for my wife.

Got a pot of chili going and will make some corn bread to go with it for dinner. Comfort food for a rainy day

Got to make a trip back over to Knoxville next week to the cancer center to have the stitches in my wife's arm removed and to discuss any further treatment. We had planned on driving over Tuesday afternoon and spending the night to be at the center at 9:30 on Wednesday. But we may just get up early Wednesday and leave here at 5:45. Drive is only about 2 hours but we have that pesky time change from CST to EST, so we lose an hour. And always have to allow a cushion in case of an accident on I-40.

Rain has stopped for now and the sun has peeked out so I think that I'll head out for a short walk.

The mention of Brazilian Pepper Trees brings back memories. My parents actually planted one in our front yard many, many years ago. Big mistake as I'm not sure if the word relentless does justice to them.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:01 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
@JRR, sounds like your area thankfully escaped more bad winds. I guess nothing but rain is the least of what could have happened.

DH stopped at the Coffee County Walmart, that’s on his way home from work, today. He said it literally looked like the store was going out of business, the shelves were so stripped. People were standing in line waiting for the pallets of goods as they rolled off the Walmart semi. “Chicken Little The Sky Is Not Falling” — just practice some good common sense and stop being hoarders.

I hope your wife is feeling better and things go well with her follow-up visit I’m with you in that getting up “before bar closing time” to be at the hospital, and then be further insulted with the time change, is not an enviable road trip.

I’ve had to do that a few times to get DH up to St. Thomas in Murfreesboro. No time change to drive across but I have horses that need fed and turned out, one of which is on prescription meds that cannot have too much variation in the time they are administered.

Being somewhere early is a lot bigger hassle than it used to be, lollol.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:31 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Rainy day here and will be for the next several days.
This is going to be an interesting next month or so.
This is absolutely the understatement of the season ( or year).
I keep hoping that it won't be quite as major or bad as we dread but I think that is being hopeful.
Stay strong and healthy everyone.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:40 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
I would love to self-isolate and hole up in my apt with my books and quilting. But the food shelf where I volunteer is busier than ever and at 63 I am one of the younger volunteers. I hope we can do something to minimize contact, like making boxes to hand to people instead of having them shop with us. I only see demand going up as people get laid off and lose hours.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:02 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,816 times
I salute you, VtSnowbird!

Old 03-16-2020, 05:26 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
The subject of pizza came up this morning (6:00 AM.

I can’t believe DH never heard of Shakey’s Pizza — worse yet I can’t believe they are still in business — not anywhere near me, but they have a nice web site.

Their web site looks a lot nicer than their pizza used to taste, lollol. Maybe the taste has improved over the years.

Does anyone else remember Shakey’s pizza or have one nearby?

Old 03-16-2020, 06:03 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I would love to self-isolate and hole up in my apt with my books and quilting. But the food shelf where I volunteer is busier than ever and at 63 I am one of the younger volunteers. I hope we can do something to minimize contact, like making boxes to hand to people instead of having them shop with us. I only see demand going up as people get laid off and lose hours.
Your idea of using boxes sounds good. I take it you suggested that and was told no? Maybe they’ll come around and implement your idea sooner than later. Other less gathering ideas have gone into play, such as the drive through coronavirus testing - beats a waiting room; restaurant take out during busy hours; I’ve heard the veterinarian office near me has you call when you arrive and office employee/vet tech meets you in parking lot to bring your pet in. Pet parents not gathered in the waiting room. Sounds like a good idea. Hope it works for them.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:10 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I'm going to Walmart...pray for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement