Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 05:13 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Been to Ireland a few times. Dublin has a shortage of hotel rooms so be sure to book something before you get there and find out everything is full. When I return I am definitely going to Northern Ireland.

Ireland is hands down one of the easiest countries to tour self guided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 05:29 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Driving in English-style driving countries is a hoot for Americans, especially if you get a manual transmission car. It takes a bit of getting used to driving on the left side of the road, and shifting with your left hand. The turn signal lever is on the wrong side too - even after 3 weeks I would still flip the wipers on instead of the turn signal.
We have had cars for the past five years with the turn signal on different sides. We still both occasionally flip the wipers on instead of the turn signal, five years later.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
We go to England every few years and time before last we were stuck in Dublin Airport for over 7 hours. That's due to taking Aer Lingus and there are very few shuttles to Manchester. They said there wasn't time in the 7 hours to go anywhere so we just sat there, bored.

If driving is the same as in England (and I think it is) we reserve our car in advance by credit card. The credit card includes insurance, iirc. Yes, you get a standard and it may drive you nuts because to save gas, it will stall when you come to a stop. dh found that annoying. Other than that, just drive extremely carefully on the narrow, winding lanes that never were meant for cars. If another car is coming, you pull into a layby (or whatever they call it) so that the other car can pass.

Since I don't know anything more about Ireland, I'll go now--except to say that the west country (Cornwall area) of England is drop dead gorgeous with cliffs and palm trees and bright green everywhere. Exmore national park, pirate territory, legend of Kind Arthur--more off the beaten path than the touristy areas, especially if you get inland, away from the beaches. It's still gorgeous inland.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:38 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Our Audi that we have here stalls when it comes to a stop but apparently you can deactivate that function. Does not bother us and it is incredibly fuel efficient.

But driving in Ireland. We went there in 2005 and we were told and had read that it was easy to drive as there was so little traffic. Could not have been more wrong. So often we were caught in traffic where there was a one lane bridge through the middle of a town. One local explained that until only a few years earlier most people were too poor to own cars, especially two cars. As he put it, they had quickly become rich, acquired cars and the infrastructure had not kept up.

Then there is parking. We went into the car park of the hotel we had booked in Dublin. Saw no parking spots so went up to the desk. Bloke came down and proceeded to park our car in a space that we would never have regarded as a parking spot.

We enjoyed Ireland but for some reason it did not appeal as a place to return to.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:27 AM

52 posts, read 35,252 times
Ireland is the epitome of everything that is wrong about America

Old 09-21-2019, 03:40 AM

349 posts, read 229,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I was in Ireland last year on a small group tour. After seeing the roads and experiencing some rough driving weather, I would never drive in that country except in the cities. I don't see the point. You are looking at the road all the time trying to not drive off a cliff next to the ocean. I would rather have the bus driver do the work and I can relax and enjoy the views.

I travel with OAT. No more that 14-16 in a group and really excellent tours.

I totally agree with this! You want to enjoy the trip. Why add stress trying to concentrate on driving?!

We were in Ireland exactly a year ago with extended family. There were 12 of us and we used "My Ireland Tours". It's a family owned & run company. https://www.myirelandtour.com/ .

They are very flexible to work with as well as the itinerary. I believe they will do private tours. We had an amazing tour guide/driver and everyone had a wonderful time. They took us to places that I would never would have found on my own.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:39 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I will be following this, I am planning a trip there in the spring, with my sister and cousin (we are all half Irish) and my BIL. Even though he is from the UK, he does NOT want to drive (he is over 80) so we will be doing a combination of trains and drivers. There is a company that plans it all for you including lodgings. It will be my first time in Europe.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:05 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If driving is the same as in England (and I think it is) we reserve our car in advance by credit card. The credit card includes insurance, iirc.
Not necessarily in Ireland. Many credit card companies specifically exclude coverage in Ireland. And even if they do provide coverage, the rental car companies may not recognize that coverage, which means that they will place a hold on your credit card of $5,000 or more when you rent the car. I've read that there are certain MasterCards they will accept and not place a hold if you provide a written letter from the bank showing that you're covered. But some car rental companies will still charge you €6-€7 a day when you have third-party coverage such as from a credit card.

As I wrote previously, Ireland is unique when it comes to car rentals and car rental insurance. You really have to do your homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, you get a standard and it may drive you nuts because to save gas, it will stall when you come to a stop. dh found that annoying.
That has nothing to do with the standard transmission (unless your husband was taking his foot off of the clutch). It's a special feature on some cars called ECO start/stop. My automatic transmission Jaguar had it as well. But I agree with your husband that it can be annoying.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:12 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
We are planning a trip next spring - originally to Ireland, but now my daughter wants to add London and a few days in England and a ferry to Ireland for about a week visit. That seems a bit involved to me. Has anyone attempted that? (Fly into London, ferry ride to Ireland, and fly out of Dublin or Shannon?)

They do have trains in Ireland.

I wouldn't bother with ferries unless you're planning of taking a car over.
There are plenty of low-cost carriers flying many daily flights between London and Dublin/Cork.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:14 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese French Italian View Post
Ireland is the epitome of everything that is wrong about America

This I've got to hear more about ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement