Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 05:59 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Although he was born 23 years before me, no death of a famous person affected me as viscerally as the assassination of John Lennon. I'm still not over it 39 years later.
I know, right? It's as if Hinckley stole something from us that we just won't ever be able to get back. It wasn't even so much Lennon himself, but what he worked so hard to represent through his music and words. It was a real loss of innocence for me, even at a time when I didn't think I had any innocence left to lose. I was 23 at the time, and it left me in a real funk, and like you, a small part of which still remains. I guess I kind of lost my faith in humanity at that point. I believe 1980 was the same year a bonehead tried to assassinate the Pope, for cryin' out loud. Also the year that Mt. St. Helens blew, and for me, I went through some bad sh*te in my personal life that year. Yep, 1980 / 1981 was both the Best of Times and the Worst of Times, I see it as a "Before" and "After" transition in my own life. Thought at the time I'd either be past all that, or gone for good. Funny how things work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 01:04 PM

903 posts, read 665,117 times
I find it sad when I watch my favorite retro shows and know how many are gone from the shows.
Mary Tyler Moore, Valerie Harper,Ted Knight, Georgia Engel Don Grady, Merideth McRae. I also loved the Sound of Music and both the oldest 2 daughters, played by Charmain Carr and Heather Menzies are gone, the list goes on and on.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:06 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Shucks, I can't remember. Do you recall what caused his "demise" --- was it heart trouble? He looked pretty good (in makeup I suppose) for age 79. Very quick wit and perfect delivery.
"Respiratory failure from emphysema" according to Wiki.

Where did I get that he died at 62? Never heard otherwise. So...79 is not really dying "tragically" young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement