Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 10:27 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times

Advertisements

Remember, WW II and Vietnam for that matter, interrupted a lot of relationships.

My own FIL had a girlfriend back in Pittsburgh. After he was away 3 years, she met someone else and wrote him a Dear John letter.

He returned from the 2 wars (WW II and Korea) and got married to a wonderful woman he met at a dance.

After her passing, he wanted to visit the old girlfriend back in Pittsburgh, wrote her a letter so she knew he was coming. She was then widowed also.

She would not open the door.

He would never visit Pittsburgh after that.

We found the letters (the Dear John, the letter he wrote to her - she returned it, the final letter she wrote him returning his letter and why she did not open the door).

I think she was his first love. Obviously, he never forgot her.

Shortly before he passed though, he had dreams and saw his wife in those dreams and his mind was clear to the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 10:57 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Remember, WW II and Vietnam for that matter, interrupted a lot of relationships.

My own FIL had a girlfriend back in Pittsburgh. After he was away 3 years, she met someone else and wrote him a Dear John letter.

He returned from the 2 wars (WW II and Korea) and got married to a wonderful woman he met at a dance.

After her passing, he wanted to visit the old girlfriend back in Pittsburgh, wrote her a letter so she knew he was coming. She was then widowed also.

She would not open the door.

He would never visit Pittsburgh after that.

We found the letters (the Dear John, the letter he wrote to her - she returned it, the final letter she wrote him returning his letter and why she did not open the door).

I think she was his first love. Obviously, he never forgot her.

Shortly before he passed though, he had dreams and saw his wife in those dreams and his mind was clear to the end.
Confusing, who wrote who a 'dear john letter'. This post doesn't make sense.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:56 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I've thought often about "the ones that got away". I didn't have to be on my deathbed to think about it. I even revisited the possibilities when one of them contacted me a long time ago. It turns out I was also his "one that got away".

I found that it really is one of those cases of "You can't go home again". When you try to rekindle what was lost, it's just not the same. Our memories are looked at through the rose-colored glasses of time. The hurts are forgotten, and the highs are magnified in hindsight. When we are actually there, with them standing right in front of you, you realize that they have changed, and so have you. The memories are just a crystallized, frozen moment in time, one that probably never even existed as you remember it. When confronted with the reality, we see it is so much less than our idealized fantasy of what could have been. We tried, but it was like trying to capture lightning in a bottle. Our moment was past.

Knowing this, I doubt that I will think back on my own deathbed at the lost opportunities of lovers from the past. I will just be sad for losing the opportunity to have any future.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'd hate to have that much resentment.

I was engaged about ten years ago. We were in our early 20s, young and dumb, both drinking heavily, and often said things we didn't really mean. She also had some mental health issues that were exhausting. She ended up seeing a guy I knew growing up, and they got married.

We didn't talk for a few years, then got back in touch, and there was still chemistry there. We stopped talking a couple of years ago after she said it was interfering with her marriage. I got the impression that she wasn't very happy in her marriage. She has a lot of things going professionally and socially that keep her busy.

If she ever gets divorced, I'd love to see if we had anything left.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'd hate to have that much resentment.

I was engaged about ten years ago. We were in our early 20s, young and dumb, both drinking heavily, and often said things we didn't really mean. She also had some mental health issues that were exhausting. She ended up seeing a guy I knew growing up, and they got married.

We didn't talk for a few years, then got back in touch, and there was still chemistry there. We stopped talking a couple of years ago after she said it was interfering with her marriage. I got the impression that she wasn't very happy in her marriage. She has a lot of things going professionally and socially that keep her busy.

If she ever gets divorced, I'd love to see if we had anything left.

What does the bolded comment refer to?

Old 09-23-2019, 08:24 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Confusing, who wrote who a 'dear john letter'. This post doesn't make sense.
My FIL's girlfriend from Pittsburgh after 3 years - he left for WW II - she was left behind.
She wrote him the letter.

We found the letter after he had passed away in 2017.

He always kept it.

(Not sure if my MIL would have known. I don't think so).

Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
What does the bolded comment refer to?
Who wants to be at the end of their life will all that regret?

Old 09-23-2019, 08:35 AM

585 posts, read 492,413 times
The versions of the people we once were only exist in our memories. There is no going back, you can only move forward.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Who wants to be at the end of their life will all that regret?
Oh, regret. You said resentment. Big difference.

I thought you were referring to my comment, which was really about the loss of an illusion, the fantasy of reuniting with lost love, and the acceptance that time has moved on and so must we.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:22 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Far more common is they converse with people that are no longer of our realm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement