Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 01:53 AM

6,909 posts, read 3,311,919 times

Advertisements

We buy almost everything on clearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 07:18 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,537,829 times
Most poor people will be coupon everything.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:24 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,061,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
1. When I get gas, wash the windshield and take a few extra paper towels as napkins for dinner later or as tp in glovebox for emergencies
2. Bring a scale & own bags to stores. Weigh the toilet paper for accurate cost per lb & weigh fixed price bunch produce.
3. No underwear
4. Wash my clothes in the waterfall during summer
5. Bank somewhere with free coffee. Visit daily removing about $5. Ok maybe I don't do the latter but only dream of it...
6. Instead of buying new clothes, I dye them with RIT making them appear new
7. Dumpster Diving for 5 gallon buckets which I use instead of toilets. Ok maybe not this one.
8. Shut my water off 1x a yr& pay fee to turn back on. In between, fill up my extra water tanks to last all year. Ok maybe not.
9. Crash the church potlucks for free food. Seventh Day Adventists are marvelous cooks and hold weekly potlucks! Ok maybe not
10. Carry an old cellphone just in case I ever need to call 911 while driving. Doubly covered combined w/Onstar
10. Do not carry auto insurance. Instead drive the deserted back roads to & from work with an official looking sign on the back of the vehicle with the words STUDENT DRIVER. Not one accident yet! Remove huge sign upon arrival.
11. Lookup the less expensive gas stations online at GAS BUDDY
11. Foster animals instead of having my own. Food is covered by the organization & mileage
12. Shower outside half the yr to save $ on water and cleaning the shower. A future goal
13. Volunteer at Food Pantry. Take some of what's leftover which will expire within the week & which otherwise be tossed out.
14. Dumpster dive at thrift store dumpsters where they toss out donations not up to par. Only if I have time to kill...maybe 1x yr
15. Put an add on Craigslist to ride-share to reduce gas expenses. No response
16. Wash my car while at work (about twice per mo)
17. Collect aluminum cans off the ground while walking. 1x a mo.
18. Dye my own hair
19. Catch crawdads in the river. Cook them on the spot for a tasty meal. Future goal
20. Pick wild blackberries.

1. I don't own a car. I ride my bike, walk, or take the bus.
2. East mostly rice, beans, chicken, and cornbread.
3. Underwear is a key factor in extending the life of my clothes.
4. Wear clothes five times between washings.
5. Drink tea instead of coffee.
6. Buy no more than one new article of clothing every two years.
7. My cell phone cost $10 and the service costs me $7.00/month. It's just for emergencies.
8. Let hair grow and donate 12 inches every three years for a free cut. Never dye hair.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:17 AM

27 posts, read 16,244 times
uhm I have used the same cell phone for almost 3 years now.

I buy my clothes at thrifty shops and at normal stores I only buy items that have been marked down 2 or 3 times e.g. I got a winter jacket in summer that was 350 in the winter then was 250 then was 150 then was 100 and by the time I got it it was 50.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,872,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will watch themselves. I shop the food sales and stock up. I buy used, high dollar clothes and shoes/purses on EBAY. I do all my own house and yard (2+ acres) work, by myself. I wash my own car. Every penny counts. That way, I can travel, spend tons of money on my two ancient dobermans, etc.
"If you watch your pennies, your dollars will watch themselves." This is a saying I was raised on and it is so true!

Old 09-23-2019, 09:05 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,876,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
"If you watch your pennies, your dollars will watch themselves." This is a saying I was raised on and it is so true!
We learned it a little differently, but I'm with you all the way "take care of the pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves"

Old 09-23-2019, 09:26 AM

1,142 posts, read 574,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
1. I don't own a car. I ride my bike, walk, or take the bus.
2. East mostly rice, beans, chicken, and cornbread.
3. Underwear is a key factor in extending the life of my clothes.
4. Wear clothes five times between washings.
5. Drink tea instead of coffee.
6. Buy no more than one new article of clothing every two years.
7. My cell phone cost $10 and the service costs me $7.00/month. It's just for emergencies.
8. Let hair grow and donate 12 inches every three years for a free cut. Never dye hair.

FTR, as long as old cell phones are charged and cell coverage is available, you can call 911 for free.
You don't need to pay anything. I learned that on some true crime show yrs back

Old 09-23-2019, 09:35 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,061,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
FTR, as long as old cell phones are charged and cell coverage is available, you can call 911 for free.
You don't need to pay anything. I learned that on some true crime show yrs back

I realize that.

This is a very cheap phone that I use only very rarely. It is a pre-paid Tracfone that has 500 minutes on it--leftover from a long time ago. It costs about $7.00 per month to keep it active and usable.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:56 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,876,947 times
I eat a lot canned beans and cornbread, and buy lottery tickets.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:28 AM

23,105 posts, read 28,829,719 times
I haven't bought any new clothes, including underwear/socks/shoes, in over 40 years, thrift stores only.

I put a duct-free mini-split into my house and I'm shocked at how much lower my electric bill is.

I did away with cable, and bought one of those square white antenna's next to my TV, and even though I don't watch TV, it's for my Mexican roommate and he claims there's more channels in Spanish when we were with DirectTV. Now no cable bill every month.

I still have my 1985 Toyota Supra, and I live in such a dream location, I hardly every use it anymore, as I oftentimes bike the 2 blocks to Fry's or the block and a half to Trader Joe's.

I do buy used DVD's on the cheap, and I won't bat an eye in buying new plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement