Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:52 PM

130 posts, read 74,881 times

Advertisements

"different strokes for different folks"

"can't we all just get along"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 07:18 PM

18,088 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
This is supposed to be a "feel good" quote and thread lol
Hi FREE,

It resonated with me, so thanks for sharing it. Although I'd expand on Fisher's message because defining who you are is a process that can be done throughout adulthood, not just in retirement or only starting in retirement.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
This is patently absurd.

No one puts a gun to your head and threatens to blow your brains out unless you report to Making People Miserable Corporation on Monday to start your drudgery in chains.

People make choices. Don't pretend you didn't. Everybody who worked for MPM Corp or its moral equivalent chose to do those "daily activities."

Lastly, self-employed people don't look around and blame others for their misery. It's kind of hard to fool yourself into thinking you're a victim when you started your business and are putting your all into running it and succeeding.

THAT is how you define yourself. Start with, "I am not a victim."
"Victim", another word that's fallen into misuse in popular culture. There's nothing in the post that implies the poster thinks that they are a victim, by proper definition of the word. Merely a discussion of the issues concerning employment, retirement, and self-identity.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:17 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
"Victim", another word that's fallen into misuse in popular culture. There's nothing in the post that implies the poster thinks that they are a victim, by proper definition of the word. Merely a discussion of the issues concerning employment, retirement, and self-identity.
Quote:
When you were working, your company, position & coworkers limited your self-definition.
The person who embraces that sounds like a self-pitying victim to me.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
this quote is SO 'Ken Fisher'...('Mr Money' showman, (let me show you, as I'm the only one who can!))

There are a lot of good 'retirement quotes', but this quote is a bit of an antonym
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

starting with...
“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.” – Mark Twain
https://addicted2success.com/quotes/...es-to-live-by/
Poof, GONE...
http://www.retirement-quotes.com/

Retire early, Retire often

Old 09-28-2019, 01:42 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...really?..so you're saying you spent your entire life being defined by who you work for?...that's pretty sad...
Really? Success in work and being recognized for it often does defined our sense of who we are as seen by others who are aware of that success. A limited public profile and limited success/accomplishments/recognition can often result in a self created view of ourselves in relationship to the world and our contributions to it.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
No spiritual awakening. However it’s nice to retire. I always do what I want anyway. Is this Ken Fish from Fisher investments, the guy who says “I would die and go to hell before I’d sell annuity”?
Your point in my thinking serves to support the quote. My first thought was that it was the same Ken Fisher who millions recognize as a famous person in the world of investments. This is how the outside world sees him and recognizes him on a day to day basis. At some point many seek to leave the day to day notoriety behind and find a different path independent of thoughts and expectations of those who know and recognize what they do and see them as such.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
This is supposed to be a "feel good" quote and thread lol
Was to me and TY for the thought. Again we need to consider the message and the deliverer of the message and who their intended audience was. In the case of Ken Fisher, individuals with at least 500k to invest. Those individuals quite possibly have a different level of expectations, recognition and success in their work then many others. They are more than ready at retirement to move on from 60 hour work weeks and responsibilities for their job and often others.

Last edited by TuborgP; 09-28-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 09-28-2019, 06:49 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Me, too. I spent the last 10 years of my working life in a resort community, so options were limited for work. But that suited me just fine because I had a seasonal job with half the year off and generous unemployment.

Got to play and travel half the year and get paid for it.

I did love building spec houses way back in the day, but that is the distant past. If I HAD to identify with work, that would probably be it.
The people I know who identify with their work are either self-employed or in some type of "helping" profession. Corporate back office people don't identify with their work that way.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:45 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

I wouldn't call him a joke but rather t he "use car dealer of the investment world. DON'T EVER, EVER CALL them, you will be stalked literally for the rest of your life. I made the mistake of answering an ad for a copy of his book. that was 10 years ago and these jokers STILL call. they do not take no for an answer.

I really think that's how they are successful, you will give them all your money, your kids and your dog just so they leave you alone.
Having moved from Florida to Tennessee, I no longer get phone calls from them. But they tracked me down for mailing purposes and I still get the big envelope offering me information three or four times a year. Guess I'll never get away from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement