Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 04:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times

Advertisements

I was in my junior year of college, so that weekend (most every weekend) I was at my parent's place, maybe working on my old GTO (which I stupidly sold) or my old 65 GMC half-ton (which I wisely kept). And just relaxing between weeks at school. Physics degree did require some fairly serious studying.

Don't have any particular memory of that birthday, as others have posted, at the time (late 70's) drinking age was 18, age of adulthood was 18, so 21 was not particularly different from 20 or 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 04:44 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I spent it driving a Plymouth trunk-ful from Kentucky to Louisiana to start a new job. Long, long time ago -- 1959.. Didn't think too much about it being my birthday.
I was in Reno. Mom and me had a great time, won $1,200 totally. Mom won $500 near the end...She even saw me get smashed. Says I was a "Happy drunk" That was 1981.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:28 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I, too was working at Wilford Hall on my 21st birthday-but in the OJT office in the modular building.

I celebrated by going out to dinner with my then husband. The drinking age in Texas at the time was 19 so I had already been "legal" for a few years so it was old hat.

Cat
It was probably 18 or 19 to drink in Texas when I turn 21. I work seven shifts a week (5 at Wilford Hall, 2 at Community hospital of San Antonio) so drinking wasn’t really a priority for me! All that work pretty much got me out of trouble.

What years were you stationed there?

Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Born and raised in England - the "age of majority" was reduced from 21 to 18 in 1970, when I was already 20, so I missed out on 18th being a key birthday and turning 21 became less of a big deal.

However, my best friend and I migrated to Australia in June 1970 and it so happened that the big "Crossing the Equator" party that ships always held fell on my 21st birthday. They had special events throughout the day, served fancy meals for lunch and dinner - all very festive and exciting in the midst of what had thus far been a rather boring sea voyage.

By that time we had made some good friends among the other passengers and they made a big fuss of my birthday (which chiefly meant buying my drinks) and the whole ship was in party mode from morning until the wee hours so it felt like everyone on board was celebrating my birthday!

Every time I hear the Beach Boys' song "Cotton Fields" it immediately transports me back to the ship's disco that night, when they played it as a special request for my birthday!

Old 09-27-2019, 05:50 PM

962 posts, read 612,716 times
I flew to Vegas on my 21st birthday. The day after, I was at Caesar's Palace playing blackjack and Bo Derek and her friend sat down at our table. After she joined, hundreds of people surrounded our table. I guess they wanted to watch ME play blackjack, right? It was the weekend of the Leonard-Hagler fight. Such great times.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:20 PM

532 posts, read 446,298 times
I read through these posts yesterday and nothing came to mind except as others had posted drinking age was 18 so I didn't recall anything special about turning 21 in 1981.
Today it hit me and I have been thinking about it all day. I was and still am a pretty quiet laid back classic introvert so this was embarrassing but so perfect and funny still makes me smile and miss the young lady/classmate who was my best friend my junior and senior year, she arranged this.

4-5pm in the middle of swim practice on my birthday the coach taps me at the end of a lap and points up to a corner of the balcony overlooking the pool and all my team mates.
When I look up and they have my attention a small group of women start singing acapella "you must have been a beautiful baby"

Old 09-27-2019, 07:36 PM

130 posts, read 74,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...was at fire base Gladiator in the Thua Thien Province, South Viet Nam, waiting for my three day r&r down to Eagle Beach...don't remember too much about those three days...
Welcome home brother

Ft. Lee Va. AIT spent the evening into the night with some bros. for my birthday in Richmond,
Good times

Old 09-27-2019, 08:28 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
On an overnight train with two of my brothers from Salzburg, Austria to Venice and accidentally getting on the wrong track during a train change and ending up in Genoa, the other side of Italy. Oops! And we weren’t even drunk. It took most of the next day to get to Venice.

My second of four consecutive summers backpacking Eurail adventures in the early ‘80s. Great, cheap traveling times when you still had to exchange money and show passports for every new country.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:00 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I spent it driving a Plymouth trunk-ful from Kentucky to Louisiana to start a new job. Long, long time ago -- 1959.. Didn't think too much about it being my birthday.
I went to a seafood place at the Texas coast and had a Budweiser for my 21st.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
I went to a bar called Moose McGillicuddy's in Honolulu, it was 1987.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement