Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
We let all calls go to voice mail. If I am close enough to see the caller ID I will answer if it is my Mom or hubby.
If I don’t recognize the caller or the number, I don’t answer. I block calls that have gone to voicemail frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 02:17 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Not always useful. If I give a business my phone number so they can reach me to let me know they're setting out for my place to fix the furnace or whatever, the display may read "Jane Smith" even though it's John Smith who's headed out and I don't know either of them anyway. Right now I'm getting calls from an insurance company because I filed a claim after one of their insureds rear-ended me last week. So far the Caller ID has never shown the company name. A lot of my friends from church, the garden club, etc. don't have names that show up on caller ID unless I program it in.

I have a land line for 2 reasons. First, I consider my cell phone to be a convenience for ME- not a device allowing any business to spam me wherever I am. I also have an excellent cheap plan through Ting but get charged extra if I go over 100 texts or 60 minutes of talk time in a month. I don't want unwanted calls and texts adding to the count. Second- in addition to being useful for longer calls with family, it's also a sort of "spamcatcher" line. I have MagicJack and if I don't answer it sends the voicemail message in an audio file to my e-mail. I miss a lot of junk calls that way.
athena53 pretty much described my relationship with phones. To distill that, and I speak for myself - I want to be in control of who contacts me, when and where.

If I am having a massage, I would not want to be interrupted. For anything. Even a death in the family.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in 45 minutes, they will still be dead. There is nothing so important that can't wait an hour. Usually a day.

My landline is for generic calls. I give it out more easily than I do my cell. My cell phone is for people I know. PERIOD.And yes, as athena53 said it's my "spam catcher"

While I am shopping, I never wanted to know that my cousin had an argument with her SO. Or that I am eligible to lower my monthly utility bills.

When I had school age children, I was no different. When asked for a secondary number I replied "you have my home telephone number. That is where I can be reached"

They would say "What if you are not home?" to which I'd respond "I work from home. If I am out, leave a message. I will return the call".

"If you work from home, do you have a business number?" My response? "We do! That's for clients".

"What about a cell phone. Do you have one?" - Me - "Yes. that is for close friends and family members".

"What if there is an emergency?" Me - "Then don't waist time calling me. Call 911 and the child's pediatrician. You already know the preferred hospital. That's where their doctor admits".

"So what about a neighbor? Can you give us a neighbor's number?" Me - "I am not close friends with any of my neighbors. The few who have my number, have my land line. That would be the number YOU have".

They were RELENTLESS.

My point? 1. I value privacy more than I do information. 2. Most stuff can wait.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:15 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
athena53 pretty much described my relationship with phones. To distill that, and I speak for myself - I want to be in control of who contacts me, when and where.

If I am having a massage, I would not want to be interrupted. For anything. Even a death in the family.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in 45 minutes, they will still be dead. There is nothing so important that can't wait an hour. Usually a day.

My landline is for generic calls. I give it out more easily than I do my cell. My cell phone is for people I know. PERIOD.And yes, as athena53 said it's my "spam catcher"

While I am shopping, I never wanted to know that my cousin had an argument with her SO. Or that I am eligible to lower my monthly utility bills.

When I had school age children, I was no different. When asked for a secondary number I replied "you have my home telephone number. That is where I can be reached"

They would say "What if you are not home?" to which I'd respond "I work from home. If I am out, leave a message. I will return the call".

"If you work from home, do you have a business number?" My response? "We do! That's for clients".

"What about a cell phone. Do you have one?" - Me - "Yes. that is for close friends and family members".

"What if there is an emergency?" Me - "Then don't waist time calling me. Call 911 and the child's pediatrician. You already know the preferred hospital. That's where their doctor admits".

"So what about a neighbor? Can you give us a neighbor's number?" Me - "I am not close friends with any of my neighbors. The few who have my number, have my land line. That would be the number YOU have".

They were RELENTLESS.

My point? 1. I value privacy more than I do information. 2. Most stuff can wait.
You could have just memorized the phone numbers of local cemeteries and funeral homes -
"Hello, is Sheena there?"
"I don't know. Do you have a plot number?"

Or better yet, the phone number of the person calling.
"Hmmm, that number sounds familiar???"

Dial-a-prayer always appreciates people calling up when they are overwrought and in need of calming.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:37 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times
So many robo calls and scams....we never answer our landline unless we know who it is...name and number shows up on TV.......few know our cell phone number.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:27 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,085,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
So many robo calls and scams....we never answer our landline unless we know who it is...name and number shows up on TV.......few know our cell phone number.
Same here. If I don't recognize the number on my caller ID it goes to voice mail. Most times the caller hangs up no voice mail. Spam callers LOL have a nice day.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:37 PM

176 posts, read 129,161 times
We dropped our land line over 10 years ago. All we got were sales calls at dinner. My wife resisted up to the end until i said you do realize we are paying $700 a year to be bothered. Even after signing up for the do not call list on the land line we still get "survey" calls. The kids have cell phones, you have one and I have a work one. So if anyone has an emergency we can reach each other in seconds. A land line is a waste of money for most people these days. Over 10 years that's $7000 we did not waste,

Even the cell phone is starting to get robo calls.

The people I want to have my number have it. If a number come up that i do not recognize I let it go to message. NO message no return call. If its out of state and more than once and still no message I block it .

Old 01-23-2022, 04:17 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We screen all calls. If we don’t recognize the caller, we don’t answer. We have missed a few important calls, but not many.

If we’re in the mood, we answer suspect calls so we can add them to the “blocked” feature on the phone. If you answer a robo call, and don’t say anything, and the line is silent, then you can hit the block button.
Same here! We have a landline and our cells. I program the numbers I want to hear from in our Panasonic Phone (landline) so they come up in caller ID such as family- friends - doctors.

Toll Free numbers we ignore. I look at the area code and that's pretty telling to us to ignore. Edited to add: Name and Number pop up on our TV as well, and usually always a family member or friend.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:48 PM

18,706 posts, read 33,372,489 times
No scam calls since I cancelled the landline and went to cell only.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:24 PM

609 posts, read 529,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
No scam calls since I cancelled the landline and went to cell only.
Wow. No auto warranty calls? I get several of those a week on my cell phone. I don’t answer, but they leave messages.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:42 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Harry, have you tried to call ME?

(Of course not, you don't know my number)

And IF we connected (private) I would make you a "contact" on my smartphone, so I'd KNOW it was you calling.

How's this: I once received a (scam) call..and the number reading out: was my OWN smart phone number!
And shortly after, the (scam) call was from my SPOUSE'S number, sitting right next to me on the love seat. I asked "out if curiosity, are you calling me now?".
No

So, I don't answer the phone for ANY unknown numbers!

Best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement