Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 03:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,572,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post

This way someone who worked in a manual trade starting at 18 but retiring at 53 (perhaps for physical reasons) will get equitable treatment at FRA as someone who finished a graduate degree at 29 and worked until 65. This is fairer across socio-economic classes of workers.
Because it's 35 years, it still most likely includes when one was working for very low wages before entering one's career or at the very beginning of a career when wages were low which then results in a low amount of monthly Social Security received......

(not necessarily for people who worked tradesmen jobs, although they may have done apprenticeships, but people with university educations)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 03:39 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,447,294 times
Not only fatigue but I was noticing that with stress - I was allowing things to fall through the cracks. And that is just not me.

I thought I had a smooth ride planned and then my deputy ran off with her boyfriend to another state. I really wanted to leave the job and handpick someone who was capable to take the reins.

That and the demands of government helped me shape my timing.

I am one year retired - and my handpicked replacement just emailed me and asked if she could use me as a reference - for a better opportunity.

It’s not her - its that the place where we worked fell into different hands - less capable hands - and everyone is running for the exits.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:56 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,939,038 times
I'm down to my last 9 months of working now, at least in a full time, managerial capacity. I may continue to work in more of an advisory or consulting role after that, depending how things work out. I am looking forward to finishing things off. While the job is fine a good amount of the time, it has always been punctuated by periods of intense stress and anxiety and I am worn down by it. I want to escape.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,531 posts, read 81,005,401 times
Since last fall whan most of the posts were made, the pandemic has influenced the potential last few years for many. Some, with a threat of layoffs will retire earlier than planned. Others, like me, might stay even longer since working from home saves so much time and money (gas). Also, the challenges of dealing with our commercial/industrial tenants and their financial woes makes it more interesting.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:03 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,349,879 times
I retired three months ago, but left two weeks earlier than the scheduled date. For the last 2½ years I'd been making plans for my retirement, preparing my finances, and I stuck the job out because I was paying into a work pension there. I was very fortunate in that the last eight months I was moved to a different department, and got to know some lovely people there. The happiest time I'd had in my seven years with that employer, and it almost made me wish I could stay!

All that planning I did was upset a bit by having to go into lockdown a few weeks later, but I was able to get all my finances sorted out - credit card bill paid off, money put into a 2 year trust - in those few weeks, so very lucky, I guess.

Was glad to leave the hospital I worked at, because of the constant frustration of seeing some co-workers doing as little work as possible.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:44 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,566,288 times
I'd been planning my retirement for several years. Had really bad management come in and chase off nearly everyone that knew the job so they could bring in their idiot cronies.

I was very busy paying off everything, maximizing my retirement accounts, basically I was working for myself since nobody knew exactly what I did because they didn't understand the job, so they'd give me a project once in a while, but I was just putting in my time.

Then I got an opportunity to buy a small ranch. I jumped on it and retired 8 years early. I had 28 years credit for my pension, I had to wait 3 years to get full benefits before applying for it, but between my investments, a part time job and income from the ranch, I'm doing fine.

I lost a lot of weight, my blood pressure and heart rate haven't been this good since I got out of the military. I'm happy now.

The stress is gone, I pretty much set my own hours so if I want to go fishing, I go!

I retired before I'd planned to, I won't have quite as much money as I would have, ( about $250 a month less from the pension) but it was miserable going to work and twiddling my thumbs for 8 hours. I wasn't part of the in crowd so there wouldn't be any raises or promotions, I'd just be treading water.

Retirement gave me back my enthusiasm and my life. I've never been happier.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:34 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,670,247 times
My last years on the job were little more than a cadenced performance, with the last year including a visit to the past of mass layoffs, poor morale, and gut wrenching worry. Twenty years of different shifts, difficult people, cost cutting madness, Hitlerian management, flavor of the week policies, all culminating with the company pounding out inferior stuff--and the top brass being massively rewarded.

On my last day (night shift) I said my heartfelt goodbyes at lunch to those who were allies throughout my time there, turned in my badge and paperwork, walked the entire length of that huge facility one last time. At dusk, passing through the gate at sixty two years of age, I felt a familiar soreness in my legs, feet, and back, but uppermost in my mind were the words of Jerry Garcia who said, "What a long strange trip it's been."

Old 05-30-2020, 05:52 PM

46 posts, read 29,636 times
My husband and I hope to retire in slightly less than two years. We are in a pretty good place - we both will have pensions from our current employers, and I actually will also have a second, smaller one from a previous employer as well. Additionally, we own a rental property that's been paid off for a few years. The only variable that's uncertain is our 401(k) money, of course, especially under the current circumstances.

If my husband was offered a buyout (within the realm of possibility), he would take it tomorrow. I don't have that option, but my work environment is very pleasant, I have no complaints. I guess I've done what StealthRabbit referenced from "Die Broke." I've checked out emotionally, I just don't care that much anymore.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,678 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Quote:
I've checked out emotionally,
I have seen this positively transform some coworkers. We were in a very intense and demanding work environment and tough manager with no people skills, and always pitting workers against each other as a 'performance incentive',(?)

Work can really 'cast a spell', as I have also seen retirees crash and burn in last few years.

Best to realize that work is just one of many demands on your life, but it is not WORTH your life. (as it has cost many)/

My dad went down hard at age 47 over medical issues perpetuated by work related stress (He owned and manged (7) businesses at that time, lost everything, including health, family, friends, marriage, home, ranch, farm, commercial props, franchises...) . I got to care for him for the next 32 yrs and that did not go over so well with any of us.

Don't go there, it is not pretty.

If you need to 'end-the-career / job'... end well (for you and your future),
Hero status not required or desired.
Gracefully pass the baton and disappear into your NEW life. (quickly/ silently / wearing the sweet smile of inner contentment) Job well done (importantly including your departure).

Old 05-31-2020, 06:45 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,036,083 times
The last 5 years of my career were the best. I had the best bosses and the best coworkers. I'm glad I stayed for nearly 35 years, instead of retiring at 30 years. I'm also glad I retired when I did instead of staying for 36 years. I got a part-time job and earned the remaining Medicare credits I needed (I was a grandfathered OPERS employee and did not pay into Medicare). Who would have expected the entire economy to be shut down in 2020?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement