Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 02:20 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times

Advertisements

Tell them at the start, separate checks. If the restaurant can't make that happen, then, new restaurant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 02:59 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,009 times
As soon as someone orders appetizers or alcohol (even and ESPECIALLY, if it's me doing it), it's separate checks all-the-way for me. No one should have to subsidize my splurging.

Lunches are usually an entree and iced tea, even split is OK for that, unless someone wanders "out of bound" and gets apps and dessert.

Case by case, but I don't get too wrapped around the axle if I like who I'm with. Sometimes it IS about the price of being with friends and/or having a good conversation.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:47 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,239 times
Unless my husband and I, or someone else in the group we will be dining with, agrees to treat everyone; everyone has a separate check. There is nothing complicated about separate checks these days. Even if I am dining out with family members, if I order an alcoholic beverage and they don't, I will pay for my drinks regardless if it is one check or separate checks.

I think a few of the replies to galaxyhi were rather mean spirited. People dine with friends and family to enjoy the camaraderie of course, that doesn't mean they should not be mindful of the financial aspect as well.

Last edited by Praline; 11-11-2019 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-11-2019, 04:22 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
It’s considered almost an insult to ask for separate checks where I come from. It is done on rare occasions, but definitely not often. Even my sober friend usually just says to split it evenly.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 11-11-2019 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-11-2019, 05:29 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
When the waiter asks I always blurt out rapidly that each will pay their own. This causes astonished glances between some at the table. I developed this (bad?) habit when I worked and business lunches turned into "let's go to lunch and you can help pay for my drinking habit". I still do it no matter what the context and people, sometimes uncomfortably, let me have my way.
Tried to rep you, AnnaLee, but can't because I have to "spread" reps around.
You are forthright in acknowledging it's uncomfortable.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:34 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Oh, I have seen the honor system go horribly wrong when the total comes up short.
It only goes horribly wrong for the waitress, who will get 15% instead of 20% because someboddy shorted. But that's OK with her, she didn't have to waste her time and patience making separate checks for quibbling fogeys.'

Old 11-11-2019, 06:56 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,639 times
Occasionally I buy friends lunch at Arby's or Burger King. I tell them I have coupons and they are happy to order that way. Kind of fun to have lunch for 2 for less than $10. And they return the favor..

Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I think it depends on how much a difference is involved. If I've gone out with a friend, and if I order something that is $14 and the friend orders something for $13, I would get really turned off if the friend objected to splitting the check. (This happened, with a $140K government worker, who remarked "we should get separate checks since yours was $1 more.)

OTOH, if one of us orders an appetizer, a glass of wine, and a $25 dollar entrée, and the other one orders a hamburger w/fries....definitely, split the check.
I got that beat.
Once at a lunch with 3 friends Cheapo was 'calculating' our individual share based on what we ordered. With a straight face he said for all to hear "Lenny, you had a sip of Terry's wine. That's about a quarter, yeah?"
And he was NOT kidding.

That was over 30 years ago so today it would be over a buck, yeah?
Me and Lenny just shook our heads.. and let it go 'cause it made a good story!

Now it's usually separate checks. Especially since it's all women.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:09 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
I realize I'm paying for the experience, in eating out. I prefer to pay for my own experience, thank you very much. Your mileage may differ. I often throw in extra for the tip or whatever. But say there's a large group, and say someone is gluten intolerant, and there's nothing on the menu they can eat, but they came for the company and comradery. It's not fair that they should have to pay the price of a meal when they didn't eat anything.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I prefer to pay for my meal.
Bingo, even when I go out to eat with my sons, we all get separate checks. Makes it so much easier and less fighting with everyone wanting to grab the check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement