Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 01:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

In society, I think 'feeling invisible' began when someone voiced that older women often do not receive attention from men because older women are not completely valued in the world of romance, dating, being sought after - and that interest often diminishes in women as women age - and women do not even need to be all that old for this to happen.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this - I'm just stating where I think 'being invisible' is derived.
'Being invisible' then started to be applied to older people in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 01:16 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In society, I think 'feeling invisible' began when someone voiced that older women often do not receive attention from men because older women are not completely valued in the world of romance, dating, being sought after - and that interest often diminishes in women as women age - and women do not even need to be all that old for this to happen.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this - I'm just stating where I think 'being invisible' is derived.
'Being invisible' then started to be applied to older people in general.
Yes I do believe this is a great part of it.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Hey - just because one avails themselves of the huge convenience and often better prices of ordering their crap online, doesn't at all mean that they are "hiding in their houses", or appearing "mousey" (silly and highly subjective word to use in this context).

Online ordering for home delivery is most helpful for people who are very busy, still work full-time, house-bound for whatever reason, or just don't want to face the masses of asses out in the general public to do certain shopping.

And as for garish, glitzy, or glam apparel goes - I find it generally unattractive, cheap-looking, and attention-seeking. I don't need people staring at me because of the "hey look at me!" outfit I'm wearing. I do just fine without the external approval and/or acceptance of strangers.

I think your whole premise is ridiculous.
Though many of those people complain of having no friends or social interactions- but admit to being introverted and staying home as much as possible.

I’m an INFP so I understand how tiring masses of asses can be, but also understand the importance of socialization in elder years. And I understand the that it is harder for an introvert like myself. Of course I’m not talking about younger still working people.

The internet it is great for housebound, and finding deals, but using it to stay away from people is isolating yourself.

Glam doesn’t have to be cheap or garish. But that’s a post for another forum.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:34 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
As a young woman, I felt like hunted prey. No one talked to my face, staring, stopping talking when I came in, inappropriate comments from male service workers, on and on. It never got me anything I wanted and I certainly didn't want the twisted attention.

Am I invisible now? Dunno. Don't care. As long as service workers are courteous and take care of business, who cares?

I never wanted attention in life, for any reason. Appreciation is one thing, attention quite another.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:35 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

I agree with this as well. It also begs the question of why women would expect that the level of romance/dating/sought-afterness (is that a word? lol) will NOT diminish. Looking at things realistically, it is unavoidable and is part of human nature. I don't think there is any culture on the planet in which older women are valued physically as much as their younger selves (or counterparts) are. It may not be a pleasant fact to face, but it's still a fact. Heck, the entire "anti-aging" and cosmetics etc industry is built on the desire to try to thwart, or at least attempt to delay, it.

Speaking for myself, I find it a huge relief to not have to bother with, or about, "attention from men" anymore. Been there, done that, got numerous t-shirts. I love that Maurice Chevalier song, I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore ... he speaks for me 100%, LOL

How lovely to sit here in the shade
With none of the woes of man and maid
I'm glad I'm not young anymore
The rivals that don't exist at all
The feeling you're only two feet tall
I'm glad that I'm not young anymore

The Fountain of Youth is dull as paint
Methuselah is my patron saint
I've never been so comfortable before
Oh, I'm so glad that I'm not young anymore

Old 01-17-2020, 01:45 PM

2,595 posts, read 2,288,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Elderly people feel invisible because that's how our society treats the elderly. It has nothing to do with clothing or dressing "mousey". You've missed the whole point.
This is very true. Elderly people lose their power as they age. I don’t mean physical power either. The elderly are seen as fragile and somewhat incompetent.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
For sure. Many times it's a no-brainer:

Choice A: Divest self of comfy sweat pants and shirt, put on three layers of clothing, head outside in 24-degree weather to my car, drive X number of miles (using X gallons of gas) to Best Buy to purchase a replacement modem, wait in line to pay $149 for it, repeat the driving process in reverse, change from 3 layers of outdoor clothing back to comfy sweat pants and shirt. Done. Time spent: 40 minutes.

Choice B: Click on Amazon.com bookmark, log in, order same modem for $128, log out. Done. Time Spent: 5 minutes, maybe 10 if I decide to browse around Amazon for something else.
LOL—totally understand as it was 24 when I walked my dog on my mountain at 6 this morning. I did have on my grey Uggs and my down coat, but underneath layered silk camisole with sweater - and small diamond earrings which work well under hoods and hats. Put makeup on and leather coat before I left to take hubby to his doctor appointment . Much warmer down in Asheville proper. Would have rather stayed home this morning in front of a fire with hot chocolate and soft music- but you do what you have to do. No I’m no longer stressed with time because I’m retired and 40 minutes is no problem to me.

Haven’t been to a Best Buy in many years.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Elderly people feel invisible because that's how our society treats the elderly. It has nothing to do with clothing or dressing "mousey". You've missed the whole point.
Partially. Yes, seniors are marginalized, as are many groups of people.

The thing about senior WOMEN is a little different.

Women are treated as meat and are cat-called and harassed, non-stop while they are sexually attractive. Once, they are no more of childbirth age (mostly), then they are treated as invisible. Any "formerly attractive" female has experienced this.

As age accumulates, the invisibility gets worse, but only because now you have two reasons you are invisible: One is lack of attractiveness and one is old age - both are reasons people are discriminated against.

The way the OP was written, it was suggested that only "mousey" women are ignored, but no, it is all women past a certain age of desirability, and then both sexes after a certain age.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:00 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
Seniors will soon be dominating the majority of North America. It's hard to be invisible unless they are discrminating amongst themselves and have no desire to interact with each other to either make friends or date.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:03 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
This is a lament often written about, and discussed.

After reading the replies in the thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...nt-casual.html.

I believe that some of the being invisible is self inflicted. I can understand wanting to be comfortable and how using the internet for shopping is handy. But when one is dressing somewhat mousey and not leaving their home— what do they expect??

Just my thoughts. I still enjoy dressing up but put away my high heels may years ago. There are some beautiful ,(and comfortable)flat shoes, and soft glittery sandals that show off pretty toes.

I definitely think it's true, but I don't mind it. Invisibility is a superpower, after all, and comes with benefits. I actually refer to it as "The Cloak of Invisibility". For instance I feel like I could walk past the kids working at the movie theater with a rolling cooler behind me and not one of them would notice me. I don't quite do that, but I do take full advantage of it. I could probably commit a crime, and if there were only teens and 20's as witnesses, they'd never be able to describe me beyond "I dunno, man, she looked old".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement