Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 12:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
There is a bit of politicking that goes on for teachers looking to spike their pension via promotions, one of the only ways to increase their benefit once the percentage ceiling is hit. So naturally slots for assistant principals cause catty competitiveness, and the strict teachers become stricter, or invent new rules that apply only to their classrooms. Perhaps to appear as "model disciplinarians".

Kind of reminds me growing up that the strict parents were often poor, and I guess the way they communicated that they had their **** together, when they were destitute financially, was to run a militaristic household with nonsensical rules on some "principle" pulled out of thin air.
That is a weak probably smaller school system that has a structure in place that allows people to assume leadership positions that simply. If they are hiring based on the old gym teacher/coach concept and not the ability to provide instructional leadership they will get what they hired for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Look at teacher pay, cost per student and the high school graduation rate for Hempstead school district on Long Island. You might be surprised.
Not surprised at all. That is a entire other side of the coin and not for this forum. The topic of wealth contributing to perceived inequality in education and the need to remedy it by increased funding. It happens all over and being low income in the midst of wealth can have some advantages.

New Jersey set up caps on superintendents salaries a few years ago based on district demographics. It was eliminated last year not a good idea.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2019/07/...-salaries.html

Old 02-05-2020, 12:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
That is a weak probably smaller school system that has a structure in place that allows people to assume leadership positions that simply. If they are hiring based on the old gym teacher/coach concept and not the ability to provide instructional leadership they will get what they hired for.
This is in a rural school district where your coaches also taught 1 or 2 history classes as part of their day.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This is in a rural school district where your coaches also taught 1 or 2 history classes as part of their day.
Yeah the old way and not the affluent well educated suburban way.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:07 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
More than decent. I will see if I can look up some recent salaries for you online.

The teachers' union here on LI is very strong, and has a ton of clout.

ETA: See if this search link works:

https://projects.newsday.com/databas...mmack&offset=0

Also I found some stats for 2013 salaries in the Commack school district, obviously that's way out of date though and current averages will be higher.

POSITION - AVERAGE SALARY - RANGE

Kindergarten Teacher, avg $94,730 $44,470 - $135,580
Elementary School Teacher avg $96,860 $57,970 - $133,690
Middle School Teacher avg $97,920 $64,210 - $136,870
High School Teacher avg $96,250 $64,280 - $133,120
Phys Ed Teacher avg $41,820 $18,880 - $67,940
Substitute Teacher (Hourly)avg $18.01/hr $12.43 - $22.93/hr
Teaching Assistant avg $28,340 $17,280 - $43,590
WOW! Some of those salaries are a lot higher than what my husband made a college professor.

The last time I subbed (back in the dark ages), I only made either $35 (for an assistant) or $50 (for a teacher) a day even though I was a certified teacher.

I don't begrudge teachers making that amount. They do so much and are always expected to do more and more and more. I know that the cost of living there is high so I am assuming that these salaries are a livable wage.

Cat

Old 02-05-2020, 02:34 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Look at teacher pay, cost per student and the high school graduation rate for Hempstead school district on Long Island. You might be surprised.
C'mon, @mark, you know Hempstead is not indicative of most of Long Island, LOL

Neither are the Wyandanch, Brentwood, Central Islip, or Freeport school districts, for that matter.

For those who don't know, that relative handful of districts/communities are probably as close as Long Island comes to "the hood." They're not typical of the 100+ other school districts. LI is still one of the most segregated areas in the nation, a result in large measure of the high housing costs and property taxes compared to elsewhere.

A relatively short 2019 post in the Long Island forum here, in response to someone who was asking about the Brentwood school district and also mentions Hempstead and Wyandanch:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long...ally-12-a.html

Old 02-05-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
C'mon, @mark, you know Hempstead is not indicative of most of Long Island, LOL

Neither are the Wyandanch, Brentwood, Central Islip, or Freeport school districts, for that matter.

For those who don't know, that relative handful of districts/communities are probably as close as Long Island comes to "the hood." They're not typical of the 100+ other school districts. LI is still one of the most segregated areas in the nation, a result in large measure of the high housing costs and property taxes compared to elsewhere.

A relatively short 2019 post in the Long Island forum here, in response to someone who was asking about the Brentwood school district and also mentions Hempstead and Wyandanch:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long...ally-12-a.html
That was my point and equity requires comparable pay and benefits in localized areas within the same county jurisdiction. Independent districts yes but a county still.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:20 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
WOW! Some of those salaries are a lot higher than what my husband made a college professor.

The last time I subbed (back in the dark ages), I only made either $35 (for an assistant) or $50 (for a teacher) a day even though I was a certified teacher.

I don't begrudge teachers making that amount. They do so much and are always expected to do more and more and more. I know that the cost of living there is high so I am assuming that these salaries are a livable wage.

Cat
Sub rates are still low.

Salaries are more than a livable wage. They are more than the median household income where most families have 2 people working. And what everyone misses is that net compensation is the real issue, not just salary on paper. As is the case with police also in our area, net comp is MUCH higher than in most private businesses, because medical is cheaper (teachers) or free (cops), pensions are partially or fully funded by taxpayers far beyond what a 401K match would be in a private company, and time off is much more plentiful. Also, what is the value of public union representation where it is very difficult to get fired. Teachers have tenure, and cops can shoot people while off duty and it takes 2 years to fire them..and they keep their pensions.

Nassau Police Department fires Officer Anthony DiLeonardo; shot

If you kept benefits in line with what they are and lowered salaries by 20%...you'd STILL have people lining up to take these jobs, even in a high COL area. Getting a teaching job on LI is very difficult unless you know someone (nepotism is rampant), and police tests for suburban police depts have tens of thousands of applicants show up for dozens of open spots. That's why our taxes are so high.....about 50% of it is school pay, and another 10-15% for police. These are the best gigs going around here and everyone knows it. Teaching unions own state politicians, and police unions own county pols.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
That was my point and equity requires comparable pay and benefits in localized areas within the same county jurisdiction. Independent districts yes but a county still.
On LI the county has nothing to do with school taxes; they have no jurisdiction over school districts at all.

The only "umbrella" that the school taxes kind of fall under is the Township but that is for administrative purposes (physically generating the yearly property tax bill, collecting the revenue therefrom, and then distributing that money to the many taxing entities that the bill included) only. There is no interaction or effect on school budgets/taxes at all from the county level.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 02-06-2020 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That's why our taxes are so high.....about 50% of it is school pay, and another 10-15% for police. These are the best gigs going around here and everyone knows it.

Actually the school tax bill is closer to 60% in most districts. I just did a quick calculation of my old tax bills which cover houses in two different districts over the past 10 years and the percentage of school taxes to bottom line was:

current school district:
58.6%
57.9%
59.5%
58.9%
58.8%
58.2%
59.8%
previous school district:
65.5%
65.0%
65.3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement