Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 04:59 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times

Advertisements

I get my teeth cleaned twice a year. It is a BIG ordeal for me for several reasons:

1. I get A LOT of tarter.
2. I have EXTREMELY sensitive teeth.
3. I have a TMJ problem (even though the last few years it is better thanks to acupuncture).
4. I am a tea-a-holic so my teeth are usually pretty stained.

I don't know how many years ago, they started using some numbing stuff on my teeth. It acts like Novocaine but without a needle and it wears off just about the time she is done with the cleaning. Unfortunately, the last time I went in, they didn't have that stuff and she used something else that didn't work AT ALL. She TRIED to use the water thingy which makes the cleaning go faster but they have to keep the water cold and with my sensitivity, I hit the ceiling. So, she gets the pick out.

This is our dentist saga:

Years ago, Hubby & I had different dentists. He had been going to his long before I even met him and I started going to a different one when I first moved to the area before I met him. After I moved in with him, he suggested that I go to his dentist (Dr. D.) since his office was around the corner and since I don't drive, I could just walk there. Ok. That made sense. So, I started going to his dentist-who retired shortly after I started going to him. The replacement dentist (Dr. H.) insisted that I have a cleaning 4 times a year. The thing is, my insurance will only pay for 2. I think he was doing it to get more $$$.

I wasn't impressed with this dentist (either was Hubby) so we went to my old dentist (Dr. W.). In fact, many people from Dr. H.'s office started going to Dr. W. Then Dr. W. retired. Enter Dr. B. At first everything was good with Dr. B. I had an appointment with her but couldn't remember when it was so I called to find out. Good thing I called because the message said that the office was CLOSED! WHAT??!!! Apparently, she went in one day and fired all the workers. Dr. W. was LIVID! He built that business and everyone trusted him and she just closed it down. So we were without a dentist. The kicker was, about two years or so after Dr. B closed the office, Hubby gets a bill from her. WHAT?? She wasn't even in the area anymore. Hubby just ignored it and we never heard anything about it again.

Then we found another in the next town over, Dr. M. He was really nice and we REALLY liked him. But about 2 years ago, he, too retired. We were thinking, "Uh oh." Twice we had really good dentists that retired and the replacements were um...less than good. Enter Dr. V. So far so good.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 05:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I get my teeth cleaned twice a year. It is a BIG ordeal for me for several reasons:

3. I have a TMJ problem (even though the last few years it is better thanks to acupuncture).

I don't know how many years ago, they started using some numbing stuff on my teeth. It acts like Novocaine but without a needle and it wears off just about the time she is done with the cleaning. Unfortunately, the last time I went in, they didn't have that stuff and she used something else that didn't work AT ALL. She TRIED to use the water thingy which makes the cleaning go faster but they have to keep the water cold and with my sensitivity, I hit the ceiling. So, she gets the pick out.

This is our dentist saga:

Years ago, Hubby & I had different dentists. He had been going to his long before I even met him and I started going to a different one when I first moved to the area before I met him. After I moved in with him, he suggested that I go to his dentist (Dr. D.) since his office was around the corner and since I don't drive, I could just walk there. Ok. That made sense. So, I started going to his dentist-who retired shortly after I started going to him. The replacement dentist (Dr. H.) insisted that I have a cleaning 4 times a year. The thing is, my insurance will only pay for 2. I think he was doing it to get more $$$.

I wasn't impressed with this dentist (either was Hubby) so we went to my old dentist (Dr. W.). In fact, many people from Dr. H.'s office started going to Dr. W. Then Dr. W. retired. Enter Dr. B. At first everything was good with Dr. B. I had an appointment with her but couldn't remember when it was so I called to find out. Good thing I called because the message said that the office was CLOSED! WHAT??!!! Apparently, she went in one day and fired all the workers. Dr. W. was LIVID! He built that business and everyone trusted him and she just closed it down. So we were without a dentist. The kicker was, about two years or so after Dr. B closed the office, Hubby gets a bill from her. WHAT?? She wasn't even in the area anymore. Hubby just ignored it and we never heard anything about it again.

Then we found another in the next town over, Dr. M. He was really nice and we REALLY liked him. But about 2 years ago, he, too retired. We were thinking, "Uh oh." Twice we had really good dentists that retired and the replacements were um...less than good. Enter Dr. V. So far so good.

Cat
After reviewing my wife's x-rays and seeing how small her teeth were compared to mine (same pulp area, much less workable enamel) I was floored. Any kind of work, whether fillings or a crown, would get incredibly close to the nerve. After her most recent visit, which almost scared her away from any kind of visit with any dentist. We discussed it and will do sedation with anything more than a cleaning.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:23 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I have twice and both time sick for 1 day afterwards. I am wondering how necessary this is.
My dentist has a guy who specializes in this in the office and I wonder if he wants to keep him busy, And it's expensive. Does your dentist recommend deep cleaning?
no

Old 02-11-2020, 06:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
I thought that was only done if your teeth were really bad.

I brush my teeth about five times a day. Maybe more. Keeping them clean like that really helps.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:40 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Sorry, but that thread title continues to make me immediately think it Deep Cleaning is something risque.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
I love the Cavitron! I always request it for regular cleanings, I won't do the hand pick tool thing they do, no way! Cavitron does spray a lot of water, but I feel it does a good job, and is relatively pain free. Makes the cleaning go by real fast, too.

Watch out for dentists up-selling you in general, on needing this and that.
The cavitron ultrasonic tool is really bad if your teeth are sensitive to cold.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 PM

679 posts, read 878,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat
I have the same problems. I am diligent about brushing and flossing, but one dentist told me I just had “bad saliva”. So, lots of tarter and extremely sensitive teeth. My most recent dentist (we’ve moved a lot the last four years) told me I need a deep cleaning and I’m terrified. I can barely stand the basic cleanings! I asked for sedation, but they said no. I’m afraid to skip it because I don’t want to lose any teeth.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:35 PM

12,041 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I just had it done this morning! And a fluoride treatment. And they insert little capsules of antibiotic down near the root to help encourage gum growth.

I've seen the dentist twice a year all my life but some time back my dental health deteriorated and try as I might I can barely keep ahead of it. And I do everything they recommend. Go figure. Guess it's an age thing for me.

Since the diagnosis of gum disease I see a hygienist four times a year for maintenance. I go to the college. It's a win-win. I get less expensive treatments and the students get a complimentary mouth to work on. And I get a triple check on good work - once by the hygienist, then her instructor and finally a dentist. My insurance covers two of the visits and I pay out of pocket for the other two.

Only complaint - this last one I visited was agreeable but slow as a snail. It took her three visits (two four-hour ones and this morning a two-hour one) to complete her task. That's an awfully long time to sit with your mouth open. Next appointment I'm asking for a second year student.

My first deep cleaning was with a periodontist and it hurt so badly I had visions of the torture chamber. But none of them have ever hurt like that again.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:36 PM

12,041 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Tulippsy, they should be able to give you a local anesthetic.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:52 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
The cleaning your hygienist does is not a deep cleaning.

Yes, I've had deep cleaning a couple of times. I have crowded teeth in front, both top and bottom, and a couple of not perfectly executed crowns (not by my current dentist). She only deep cleans where needed - not all over.

If you have needed extensive deep cleaning it's not really surprising that you felt bad for a while afterwards. Since the dentist is cleaning much farther into your gums than a hygienist does for a normal cleaning, it's physically stressful. And germs and junk likely would have accumulated, and the deep-cleaning disturbs (and hopefully, removes) all that.

But, you shouldn't need it unless you have deep pockets in your gums. If you're wondering whether your dentist is making money from deep cleanings, ask them for all of your numbers. For 3s you shouldn't need deep cleaning. Anything higher, you might need it if you have a group of deeper pockets clustered together (an occasional 4 is probably not a trigger for a deep cleaning).

If you need it and don't do it you risk much earlier loss of teeth. Plus whatever ailments come from the germs and junk lurking under your gums.

I second the suggestion to use a SonicCare (or similar). They do a better job than you can do with a manual toothbrush. Ask your dentist for a recommendation for a power toothbrush. And floss. Even more than you think you need to - I didn't think flossing more would make that much difference, but it really, truly does. And get your hygienist to show you how to floss, even if you think you know how. S/he may have some new hints and tricks that you'll find useful.
This is what I mean by deep cleaning. They novacane the area, top or bottom for this cleaning. Apparently there are other cleaning methods.So apparently not everyone gets it. It's horribly unpleasant but I can stand that, getting sick I can't. My dentist says it's necessary to prevent loss of teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement