Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 08:31 PM

5,393 posts, read 3,955,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
It is during times like this when I realize how lonely life can be when you (me) live alone. Yes, have two grown kids, just not relationship with either. Occasional text from son, nothing from daughter.

I think I need to find something to keep my mind busy, some friendship for emotional support. Haven't had a lot of that in a long time.

Sorry, self-pity slipping through, but I will deal with it.

I'm with you there. I really miss my DH at a time like this. I check in with my sister about every day, we send each other funny things in emails. She worries if she doesn't hear from me.

My routine has changed very little however - before I volunteered 3x a week at the food shelf - I still do that. The need is increasing, thankfully we have gone to a no-contact model. Most volunteers are older than me and are staying home. Shopping less, not going to the library, that's about all the changes I have made so far.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:42 PM

4,242 posts, read 938,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I asked this elsewhere and did not get an answer, so I am asking it again here:
What is the point of continuing to wash surfaces if you are self-isolating and if you have NO visitors? After we come home from our once-a-week grocery shopping, wash our hands thoroughly, put the groceries away, and again wash our hands thoroughly, what more needs to be done and why?
I would love to know the answer to this too. I am cleaning my front door handle after I come in from the grocery store, sanitize all the groceries, fold the bags and put them in a recycle bin in the garage, sanitize the counters, and wash my hands (I live alone). After that, aren't we good to go if no one enters the home and until we go out again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 09:56 PM

413 posts, read 698,176 times
Thanks everyone, I've gotten some good pointers on handling the daily mail, packages, and my groceries. My mom hasn't gone out of the house, except to walk the dog for fresh air and exercise, for a week. I've handled the shopping and errands. I'm doing my utmost to ensure that she doesn't pick up the virus, because at 94 years old we know she'd be last on the list for the ventilator. I'm hoping and praying for the safety of all my family and friends. Take care of yourselves, everyone.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 PM

23,510 posts, read 69,899,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I would love to know the answer to this too. I am cleaning my front door handle after I come in from the grocery store, sanitize all the groceries, fold the bags and put them in a recycle bin in the garage, sanitize the counters, and wash my hands (I live alone). After that, aren't we good to go if no one enters the home and until we go out again?
Other than washing your face and removing your shoes (just in case), you should be good. Being in the store is your greatest threat by far, so either delivery or cutting shopping days to once every other week might help. It also might help if you set a demarcation point at your front door, w/ sanitizer and paper towels and perhaps a bleach of peroxide mix. Anything that gets past the demarcation point has to be sanitized first. That way you only have one thing and one spot to remember.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:24 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,189,329 times
The restaurants here are still open for take outs.

However, we're not using them because I don't trust that they can keep employees who become infected from working. So many of those workers don't get paid unless they show up for work.

One thing that concerns me is that a person can contract the virus and be asymptomatic. They can be spreading it to your groceries or take out foods.

At this point I think we'll focus on eating packaged foods and frozen vegetables and peeled fruits, e.g. bananas and oranges.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:01 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,189,329 times
New Zealand is locking down everything including take out foods for 4 weeks.

Look here: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12319175

Old 03-23-2020, 09:39 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,647,074 times
Something I haven't seen discussed. I have my DNR where it can be easily found if some do gooder finds me ill. I wouldn't want to be put on a respirator under any circumstances but especially now when I would be using resources in short supply.

I'm actually enjoying being creative with my meals. I'm not worried too much about nutrition. I realize that I am lucky not to have dietary concerns (diabetes, kidney failure, etc). I still have eggs. One good meal a day is sufficient for my needs now. I am planning to grow some vegetables and we will have produce from the south soon in farmers mkts. For those who are interested, its time to eat dandelions. The small smooth (untoothed?) leaves are as good as spinach.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:54 AM

14,277 posts, read 6,865,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Something I haven't seen discussed. I have my DNR where it can be easily found if some do gooder finds me ill. I wouldn't want to be put on a respirator under any circumstances but especially now when I would be using resources in short supply.

I'm actually enjoying being creative with my meals. I'm not worried too much about nutrition. I realize that I am lucky not to have dietary concerns (diabetes, kidney failure, etc). I still have eggs. One good meal a day is sufficient for my needs now. I am planning to grow some vegetables and we will have produce from the south soon in farmers mkts. For those who are interested, its time to eat dandelions. The small smooth (untoothed?) leaves are as good as spinach.
I am not ready for a DNR but I do have my health care directive in place. The healthcare directive is registered with the state and with my local hospital.

But I have been thinking about how I would feel about giving up a ventilator for a younger person if there are not enough ventilators to go around. It is a scary thought. I am almost 72 and do have medical conditions.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:14 PM

2,109 posts, read 3,282,619 times
When there's a severe shortage of life-saving medical resources priority is frequently given to those who are most likely to recover.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:24 PM

17,262 posts, read 11,078,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
New Zealand is locking down everything including take out foods for 4 weeks.

Look here: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12319175
Smart! We don't know if take out food is or will be part of the problem. I don't want people to lose their jobs but this is bigger than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement