Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 07:50 PM

287 posts, read 59,578 times

Advertisements

When I was a student, one of the things I hated the most was exams. They stressed me out, gave me panic attacks, and all kinds of calamities. So when I graduated, I was very happy. One of the things I appreciated the most was: exams never again.
How wrong I was. As a young man at the time, I had no idea that over the years the exams would come back. Only this time not as an oral or written exam, but in the form of endoscopy, colonoscopy, prostate exam... and all kinds of exams that not only stress me out and make me panic, but also violate my privacy and make me ashamed.
So, young students: know that you will never be able to get rid of exams. Only they will change shape, but they will always be present in your life. Or at least at the beginning and on the end of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 08:09 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
I had my annual exam the other day. It was easy. I think it depends how you deal with anxiety.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:21 PM

287 posts, read 59,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I had my annual exam the other day. It was easy. I think it depends how you deal with anxiety.
I hope God preserves your health, you never have a sustainably high PSA and you don't have to have a prostate biopsy. Because in that case I think you'd change your mind.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:26 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
I hope God preserves your health, you never have a sustainably high PSA and you don't have to have a prostate biopsy. Because in that case I think you'd change your mind.
You don’t know me and my challenges in life. I react to things today based on the struggles of my past. I hope you learn how to deal with everything life throws at you.
We’ve had cancers, death due to crimes and many horrible things happen to us. It’s all a part of the journey. Maybe you should seek counseling.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:20 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
When I was a student, one of the things I hated the most was exams. They stressed me out, gave me panic attacks, and all kinds of calamities. So when I graduated, I was very happy. One of the things I appreciated the most was: exams never again.
How wrong I was. As a young man at the time, I had no idea that over the years the exams would come back. Only this time not as an oral or written exam, but in the form of endoscopy, colonoscopy, prostate exam... and all kinds of exams that not only stress me out and make me panic, but also violate my privacy and make me ashamed.
So, young students: know that you will never be able to get rid of exams. Only they will change shape, but they will always be present in your life. Or at least at the beginning and on the end of it.
?

We happen to have bodies. Things happen to those bodies. By the time of retirement age, the "shame" of having body parts inspected is commonly something left behind in childhood and early adulthood. We might not look forward to it, but to paraphrase - to a doctor, your "private" parts are just another day at the office.

I just had a colonoscopy. When I asked, the doc had seven of them lined up for the same day. To him, I likely was just another ........

Old 04-23-2024, 10:00 PM

325 posts, read 184,239 times
When I had my first colonoscopy, I brought the pics home to prove to Wifey that my head's not up there

Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
and all kinds of exams that not only stress me out and make me panic, but also violate my privacy and make me ashamed.
Oh, please, how about annual pap smears, and annual pelvic exams? A prostate biopsy is a walk in the park...
Then there are mammograms... and childbirth.

And the other poster is correct... the doctors have seen hundreds of private parts and there is no need for shame.
People suck it up and get it done!

At least you don't have to study for your exams now....

Last edited by Pitt Chick; Yesterday at 05:57 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

78,418 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
When I had my first colonoscopy, I brought the pics home to prove to Wifey that my head's not up there
Next time, go in and tell your doctor you were up all night cramming for the exam.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times
Besides the usual health exams, I've had to take numerous certification exams that my job and lively depended on.

When I sat for my Security+ exam my boss said that I was going to pass it, with the "or else" unsaid but implied.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

11,481 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Some people freak out at the DMV with the written driver's exam. One of the nice things about being a college graduate is that a written DMV exam is "just another exam". No reason to freak out. Some people who got flustered with high school exams completely melt down with the thought of having to take a written exam at the DMV to get their driver's license. That is a bad start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement